The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping maybe one of you guys could help me with a question I have. I have a couple of black walnut tress that I want to get rid of and I was going to try gthe hack and squirt method. Now my question is, what is the best thing to use to squirt the tree with, would full strength Round Up work if applied liberally or would I need something stronger? As always, any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
3,364 Posts
1" wood boring bit...drill hole 6" deep, 4x around base of tree (in the spring) and fill each hole with roundup every day for as long as you have roundup. it'll take a couple fills at least...but that tree will be deader than dead in a week or two. but then one has to beg to ask...

Whatcha gonna do with a big dead walnut tree besides let it fall on the roof and get your insurance to replace the roof if you couldn't just cut it down in the first place?

·
Registered
9 Posts
For a couple of trees it might be worth contacting a mill and asking them to refer a cutter to you. A good sized black walnut that will be used for veneer will bring between $75 - $300 (Missouri prices) depending on wood quality. A cutter might take it at no cost or you can pay for the cutting and hauling and sell it directly at the mill.

·
Registered
536 Posts
P.M. sent. I may be able to hook you up with a buyer.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the advice, the trees are still young...maybe 6 or 7 inches in diameter. But I want to get them now before they get any bigger, they have started killing a few crabapple trees near by and im afraid the damage will spread as they get bigger. I've read that eventually they can spread their toxins up to 60 feet.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Use the drill and kill method sort of described above, altho, I'd use a 1/2 inch bit a couple inches deep into the tree. Four holes, fill them with Roundup and inside a couple weeks, it'll be dead. Roots and all.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Give it a try, I have never done what the above posts mention, but be aware that Roundup is designed to be taken into the vegetation via transpiration, that is why it is considered to be a foliar spray. See if you can find something like Tordon.

·
Registered
2,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the info guys, is now a good time to do this or should I wait for green up?

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Roundup with hack and squirt or drill and kill should be after leaf out.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Black Walnut's toxic root systems will continue to produce toxins for some period after the tree it self has been killed/removed. Some sources suggest months after the tree is gone.

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
Don't know Mike. Maybe he's setting up a western office in hopes of getting the heck out of SE PA? LOL

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Dutch said:
Don't know Mike. Maybe he's setting up a western office in hopes of getting the heck out of SE PA? LOL
Can't say that I'd blame him, the stench from Philly would be enough to drive me out of there!

·
Registered
27,829 Posts
I would say about the same thing about Pittsburgh, but I won't.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Use a hatchet, and hit the tree 1 time for every inch of diameter. ( 12 in. tree, make 12 wounds) A few squirts of glyphosate in each would should do the trick.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts