The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This thread is always fun to do especially when it is 10 degrees out. Anyway what is everyone's plans for habitat improvement in the next year?

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok. Here are mine

First in PA.

1. I have some trees that I want to hinge cut. This is mainly for the rabbits. The cover has really diminished in the one area that we hunt, so I want to thicken it back up some.
2. I will plant my usual fall annual food plot in the fall. Don't know what I will plant yet.
3. Frost seed where I had the sugar beets last year and let it go other than mowings.
4. Other than that I have a couple of clover plots that I will keep maintained.

Camp in Ohio.

1. Remove several trees from the 2 food plots that we created last year. I plan on spraying and reseeding with clover. The 1 plot did ok, but the other the clover never really did that well.
2. Redo my 1 water hole that got washed out this past summer.
3. Clear some brush and build a treestand at the 1 food plot. This should make a good gun and bow stand.
4. Other than that there is a couple of trees that fell over recently across some trails and just some general maintenance.
5. Also not habitat related, but we need to finish some projects on the cabin (siding, and finishing the inside).

Pics of the Ohio food plots showing the trees that need removed. There is a oak in the one plot that I will keep. The rest are mostly maple and an ash or 2.

3111B3EE-4DE8-41F8-B639-2A54991DAFFC_zpswwmd2ukw by cspot12, on Flickr

7CFBCE6E-68FF-44C1-BA95-8410CAF599B8_zpsjrjnhzzr by cspot12, on Flickr

·
Registered
6,416 Posts
Hoping to do a few cuts as soon as flintlock is over.................get some fresh browse down for the deer now and thicken things up for all the critters later. Wanting to do one in particular in a soggy area in my creek bottom to benefit woodcock and grouse.

Hoping to level our 7 acre field with an herbicide application or two then till, lime and re-plant. Thinking a section of clover and section for turnips with some switchgrass borders.

·
Registered
679 Posts
I have several projects lined up this year:

1. During spring turkey season, I will be planting 100 norway spruce seedlings along a road to finish my road border that already has 150 spruce trees that I planted last year.
2. Last year, I planted switchgrass rows. These will need to be sprayed for weed control.
3. I have a logger coming in to create two food plot areas in my woods. He was going to do this last year but some things came up and was not able to do it. He called me this week and says he should have it done this winter. This is project I'm most excited about. Once created, will be liming, liming, and more liming. But I do hope to plant a soil builder mix in there this summer.
4. I probably have 100 chinese chestnuts here at house and will plant some of these around those plots once they are created.
5. I will be doing some more hinge work and dropping of aspen to create couple more thick areas near where I did one two years ago. I wanted to see what it looked like when I did the first one before I did more. It turned out awesome and deer are using it, so going to expand.
6. Will be planting strips in between my switchgrass plantings.
7. Will also be planting a 1 1/2 acre of corn this year. This plot was planted in brassicas this past year. I pay our neighbor to plant this.

·
Registered
129 Posts
I started clearing for a new food plot yesterday. Hope to go back and hinge cut the area we clear cut a number of years ago.

I'm sure I'll put fall plots out. I'd like to clear a shooting lane about 500 yds long on another property as well. It is currently a massive mess of autumn olive. Lots of stuff I'd like to do but I'll be happy if I get a few things knocked off the list.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Take down 2 maple trees to open up a little light to a couple apple trees, try to get 2 pear trees and another apple tree planted and see if any Chinese chestnuts didn't take and replace them. I have a handful of other trees but will probably give them away to a buddy, just no room to squeeze them in.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Drop a few trees that have gotten big enough to shade the clover plot.
Frost seed clover in same plot it’s getting old.
Hinge cut on the side of the mountain try to get some more bedding action
Try something new this year I have a couple logging roads I want to try ether brassica or beets something for later in the season.
I built a solor water tank two weeks ago it work good when it was in the mid 20s not so much now I was hoping it would work in the lower temps oh well it was worth a try.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Drop a few trees that have gotten big enough to shade the clover plot.
Frost seed clover in same plot it’s getting old.
Hinge cut on the side of the mountain try to get some more bedding action
Try something new this year I have a couple logging roads I want to try ether brassica or beets something for later in the season.
I built a solor water tank two weeks ago it work good when it was in the mid 20s not so much now I was hoping it would work in the lower temps oh well it was worth a try.
Penguins - what did you do for the solar water tank? I am interested to hear what you tried.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
At the duck pond:

1. Freshen the shavings in the wood duck boxes
2. Plant some sunflowers mid-May, early June to try to attract some doves
3. Plant some corn same time frame for the ducks
4. Plant some millet early July in the wet areas

At the ridge:

1. Frost seed some clover on the logging roads where it needs freshened up
2. Plant 3 Shinko Pears, 2 Olympic Pears, and 1 Gold Rush Apple
3. Keep the existing clover plots mowed frequently to keep the weeds at bay (this one is on Dad's list - he loves to be in the tractor saddle)
4. Cut some Silky Dogwood and Elderberry cuttings to plant in other areas of the ridge
5. Kill as much ailanthus as possible
6. Plant a new Brassica plot for the late winter forage
7. Plant the usual two fall food plots
8. Hinge cut some maples to make some additional bedding
9. Maintain weeds around existing seedlings
10. Kill some more ailanthus.....hate those things!
11. Fix the garage door at our original waterhole...still collecting some rain, but a fallen tree banged it up pretty good

·
Registered
411 Posts
OAWC try this link if not it’s called a solor lovestock tank. I used a 30 gal plastic drum and cut it about 14” tall. I used an old window that I had to let the sun in and painted everything black. Mine needs more insulation when it warms up a little I’m going to get some 2” insulation board and make some modifications I think I’m going to put a another layer of glass in behind the first one to help stop heat loss.
You can check ranchtanks.com also

https://www.motherearthnews.com/-/m...10-oct-nov-solar-stock-tank---diagram-jpg.jpg

·
Registered
1,763 Posts
My wife and I were fortunate last yr and purchased a 72 acre farm. The good thing is there is about 55 acres tillable that will be in either beans or corn. Problem is there is maybe 4 acres of woods on the property (lil pipe creek runs thru it as well taking up some acreage). Its great early to mid archery season, but once the crops come off, the deer disappear. due to lack of cover. I purchased 100 norway spruce trees and some crab apple trees to try and help keep them around more.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Fairly safe to walk on the ice with the recent temps....so I freshened up our 4 wood duck boxes this afternoon. A little chilly with the stiff breeze, but one item checked off the 2018 habitat to-do list!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Here is my attempt at a freeze resistant water trough. It should get a good test next week. There is an 1” of fiberglass w/some air space behind the 1 1/2” of foam on the walls. 2 1/2 of foam on the ceiling and floor.

Attachments

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Let us know how it works. Would be interested to get some details on the build.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Well it looks like the weather is going to be good this weekend to cut down some trees. Only downside is it may be a bit sloppy with the thaw. At camp the highs are forecasted for upper 40's and the lows in the upper 30's.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Well the anti freeze trough froze but only the top 1” or so. I believe the water level was a little too high so I dropped it a couple inches. Now it’s below the insulation inside I also add another 1 1/2 layer on the water surface. I think that will fix it the bulk of the tank was good and it 18 deg the day before and 8 that night.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The weather has been bad recently to get any work done. Hard to do much in this slop. I hope it dries or freezes up enough in the next week or so that I can do some frost-seeding.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Got my plot frost-seeded last night with ladino clover. Also found a shed for a buck that I have had years of history with. :grin2:

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

1 - 20 of 41 Posts