The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok. That time of the year again. What plans do you have for the new year. My list isn't that big this year for a change. LOL.

PA.
1. Kill and replant food plot that I have on a gasline. Going to plant clover on it. The deer ate it into the ground pretty hard last winter and the weeds overtook it this year.
2. Plant my annual plot that I do every year. Not sure what I will plant, but will probably just do something simple like oats or winter wheat.
3. Other than that just some mowing and maintenance.

OH.
1. Will probably spot frost seed my 2 clover plots in the woods. They are pretty good, but have a few spots where the clover is light. Will probably respray the imox on them as well.
2. Going to spray the sides of my trails to kill the briars to keep them from overgrowing. I did this 2 years ago and it worked great. I think I used crossroads or something like that. I want to do it again to keep the stuff killed back.
3. The neighbor isn't putting the hay up on my field that was there when I bought the place. It is only about a half-acre (picture below) and he only gets about 1 bale off of it. LOL. So since he doesn't want to mow it, I am now going to plant it. Downside is it is a bit steep and I don't want mud to wash into my driveway. My plan is to frost-seed it and then spray with imox in May-June time period. I will probably throw some more seed on it when I do this. This way I won't have an erosion problem. This plot won't be for hunting, but just wanted to give the deer some more to eat at night. The neighbor across the road said he got more deer pictures this year across from me than he ever has. Said my two plots in the woods was pulling the deer in.
4. Just some maintenance and mowing.

Untitled by cspot12, on Flickr

All in all it really won't be that much work compared to what I did the last few years.

I did get a head start though as I got soil samples from the Ohio plot when I was there over the weekend, and got the one clover plot today in PA. Will probably send them in later this week. I would like to put some lime down if needed this winter.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Property 1

1. Work on perimeter blockades.
2. Cut more trees on travel corridors to thicken them up.
3. Cut and clear trees from a food plot with my new Kubota and EA grapple.
4. Lime plots
5. Dig out 4 water holes.
6. Spray plots with gly.
7. Plant fall plots. LC mix

Property 2

1.Cut and stump treat lots of striped maple,birch and grape vines from a area I cut 7 years ago.
2. Rethink a new food plot layout. May involve a dozer or excavator.
3. Dig a few water holes.
4.Lime plots.
5. Spray and plant fall plots.

·
Registered
40 Posts
1. Plan on opening some more ground up and planting some fruit trees.
2. Spring we will be planting soybeans and corn
3. spraying and over seeding clover
4. late summer putting in fall blends

So I'm also going to over seeding my clover. I wanted to frost seed these plots as they were just put in the fall. When do you guys typically do this feb/march? And i also seeded these plots with oats to take some of the pressure off of the clover when is it ok to spray this and should i mow it down? It was pretty high but deer have taken care of some of it and certain parts of the plots are low but others are higher i didn't want it to shade out the clover.

·
Registered
164 Posts
1. some hinge cutting to open up the canopy around a couple of white oaks
2. figure out how to divert/channel excess water from my food plot
3. frost seed some clover
4. plant buckwheat and then winter rye
5. keep up on the MFR reduction/eradication

·
Registered
679 Posts
This year is mostly all about our food plots:

1. I had two new plots in the woods made late last year. They will get more lime and either a soil builder or an annual clover. One is 1 acre and other is 1/4 acre. May try to make the 1/4 acre plot bigger, it was too wet with the excavator last year.
2. Our other 4 food plots of which are about 1 acre each will get rotated. One half we plant in a oats, winter peas, clover mix and other half gets brassicas. So those will switch sides.
3. We are going to do a 3 acre plot of corn this year. We were going to put this in last year but never dried up enough to get it in. Hopefully this is the year.
4. Plant some chinese chestnuts that I have growing in pots right now along the sides of my newly established food plots.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1. Plan on opening some more ground up and planting some fruit trees.
2. Spring we will be planting soybeans and corn
3. spraying and over seeding clover
4. late summer putting in fall blends

So I'm also going to over seeding my clover. I wanted to frost seed these plots as they were just put in the fall. When do you guys typically do this feb/march? And i also seeded these plots with oats to take some of the pressure off of the clover when is it ok to spray this and should i mow it down? It was pretty high but deer have taken care of some of it and certain parts of the plots are low but others are higher i didn't want it to shade out the clover.

I typically frost seed in Feb-March. As far as the oats I typically will just mow off the cover crop as it will die out instead of spraying.

Good luck with your plantings. I have always wanted to plant corn, but end up not doing it in the end.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Got my soil samples back today. Both need a good bit of lime and some fertilizer. The redneck plot is the one in PA and the Cabin plot is in Ohio. I thought the PA plot would be better PH wise than the Ohio one, but I guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow, I'm not used to virgin ground having such high Ph.:wink2:
Neither one is really virgin ground. The field in Ohio has been a hayfield for a while although I would guess nothing has been put on it for a long time. The PA plot was a ROW gasline that was put in about 5 years ago more or less. It would have been limed and fertilized when they seeded, but nothing since then. I have fertilized it. I thought it would be a little better than it is.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Duck Pond:

1. Freshen the wood duck boxes.
2. Plant a sunflower/sorghum/corn plot ON TIME
3. Fertilize buttonbush and oak plantings
4. Add some natural nesting material to the goose nesting island
5. Plant millet around July 4th

Cabin:

1. Kill more ailanthus
2. New plot in the timber worked out great, would like to expand it a bit and add some lime
3. Hinge cut some maples in the bedding areas and plant some evergreens amongst them
4. Kill ailanthus
5. 2019's dove plot was a huge failure thanks to the foxtail....looking to try it again, but will go with separate plantings so that we can use some herbicides to contain the foxtail. We will be using sunflowers, RR corn, sorghum, and some oats
6. Plant the usual food plots and do some crop rotations - the deer have really taken to the radishes and turnips, even though this winter has been rather mild thus far
7. Repair one of our waterholes - a deer must have slipped on the tarp liner so the hole is not holding water, and the garage door rain catcher structure failed so we are not catching any rain with it
8. Kill ailanthus
9. Be diligent with using clethodim on the large clover plot throughout the spring and summer and on the brassica plots once planted in late July/early August
10. Hopefully plant some Blue Hill fruit trees and chestnuts again...we had the food plot crabapple damaged again, this time it got snapped off at about 20" even though I had pulled all the fruit off the tree....not sure it will recover this time. I hate bears.
11. Kill ailanthus - last year at this time I felt pretty good about the situation, but I discovered a secondary infestation in our bedding areas after rifle deer season....so I have some work to do. Over all I honestly do think we are in decent shape, but what I saw in December discouraged me a bit.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Duck Pond:

1. Freshen the wood duck boxes.
2. Plant a sunflower/sorghum/corn plot ON TIME
3. Fertilize buttonbush and oak plantings
4. Add some natural nesting material to the goose nesting island
5. Plant millet around July 4th

Cabin:

1. Kill more ailanthus
2. New plot in the timber worked out great, would like to expand it a bit and add some lime
3. Hinge cut some maples in the bedding areas and plant some evergreens amongst them
4. Kill ailanthus
5. 2019's dove plot was a huge failure thanks to the foxtail....looking to try it again, but will go with separate plantings so that we can use some herbicides to contain the foxtail. We will be using sunflowers, RR corn, sorghum, and some oats
6. Plant the usual food plots and do some crop rotations - the deer have really taken to the radishes and turnips, even though this winter has been rather mild thus far
7. Repair one of our waterholes - a deer must have slipped on the tarp liner so the hole is not holding water, and the garage door rain catcher structure failed so we are not catching any rain with it
8. Kill ailanthus
9. Be diligent with using clethodim on the large clover plot throughout the spring and summer and on the brassica plots once planted in late July/early August
10. Hopefully plant some Blue Hill fruit trees and chestnuts again...we had the food plot crabapple damaged again, this time it got snapped off at about 20" even though I had pulled all the fruit off the tree....not sure it will recover this time. I hate bears.
11. Kill ailanthus - last year at this time I felt pretty good about the situation, but I discovered a secondary infestation in our bedding areas after rifle deer season....so I have some work to do. Over all I honestly do think we are in decent shape, but what I saw in December discouraged me a bit.
I wondered when you were going to post up, but I figured it would take you a while to type up everything you had planned. :grin2:

Glad I don't have any issues with ailanthus. You have been battling it for a long time.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
I wondered when you were going to post up, but I figured it would take you a while to type up everything you had planned. :grin2:

Glad I don't have any issues with ailanthus. You have been battling it for a long time.
The ailanthus is obnoxious....but I'm hoping we only have to talk about it for another year or two.

·
Registered
410 Posts
All of my habitat improvement plans (which are many) have been put on hold, I'll be helping my dad deal with a very serious health issue. I don't believe I will make it up to the farm for 6 months or so but will be checking on everybody here to see how your projects are going. Tear it up boys and have fun.

·
Registered
12,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All of my habitat improvement plans (which are many) have been put on hold, I'll be helping my dad deal with a very serious health issue. I don't believe I will make it up to the farm for 6 months or so but will be checking on everybody here to see how your projects are going. Tear it up boys and have fun.
Sorry to hear that. I hope everything works out well.

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
One Horn - sorry to hear the news about your Dad’s health issues. Prayers sent to you and the family. Good luck, and I hope everything works out well.

We will keep you posted with updates and pics of the habitat projects. We will be thinking about you and your Dad.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Thanks gentlemen, really appreciate your thoughts and prayers, we're going to need them. Will be looking forward to all the updates and pictures

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
What is your method for attacking the dreaded ailanthus?
Most of the time I cut off the stem and treat the stump with straight 41% Gly. Small stems get cut with my trusty machete, larger stems get cut with the chainsaw if it is handy at the time. If chainsaw is not handy, I hack and squirt the larger stems using the machete. Very young ones get pulled out of the ground.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts