The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for a rifle for my 17yo son (and me) for some time. Several nice offers here but broke down and found the H&R .308 w/ bull barrel, scope, etc. at Dicks. Great Price and they even took coupons to lower the cost. Seems to be a nice little shooter. Have not had a chance to shoot yet but just wondering if there is anything I should do prior to trying? Read about the O-ring on the forend and just wondering if that is a idea? Other tweaks tried would be good to hear about.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Make sure all of the oil is cleaned off of the latch shelf and when you close it up make sure you're consistant with the force used. I had a H&R ultra varmint fluted and did the o ring trick and it seemed to work well for me just dont tighten uo the foreend screw too tight i think it should be torqued to 7 inch pounds if im not mistaken.I have gotten all of this info from the Greybeard outdoors forum a few years ago when i had my rifle. They have a forum just dedicated to handi rifles/ H&R single shots and there is a wealth of info on there about them and little tricks to getting them to shoot well. Hope this helps

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/topic,116451.0.html

http://www.go2gbo.com/forums/index.php/board,126.0.html

·
Registered
210 Posts
As proslider pointed out, Graybeardoutdoors is THE place to go for H&R/NEF info and advice.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, have read. Was just looking for PA experience. Will let you know how it shoots.

·
Registered
2,487 Posts
I traded for a H&R Handi, in 243. Thing wouldn`t shoot worth a hoot. Got on the G. Beard website and the Handi Forum. Sais to use the cheap Blue Box Federals. It will shoot a one inch group.....

·
Registered
707 Posts
My 22hornet & 30/30 shoot just find. The hornet will break clay birds at 200yds ( if I do my part ) everytime. The 30/30 it will hit inside of 2" at 150yds. Of course borh are scope sighted. Now this is first 1-3 shots. Do not heat up the barrel and expect match gun accuracy. These guns are what they are single shot hunting guns, that work.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I have an older 30-30 H&R 22" barrel-4x weaver and it shoots real nice at 100yds.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have that exact set up...308 bull barrel. Bought at Dick's about 5 years ago. Off the shelf it shot and still does, 3 shot groups @100yds, that you could cover with a quarter. That's 150gr. Rem kore-lokts.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts