The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the value of a H&R Ultra Slug in 20 ga? I have the opportunity to purchase one, just not sure what these guns are worth. I know at one time they were pretty desirable, but the Savage 220 seems to have taken over since its not just a single shot. Didn't know if the demand was still there for the ultra slug or not. Picture attached is the gun I'm looking at.

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
BuckFever101 - do yourself a favor and ignore this post. I have been hunting with a 20ga Ultra since the 90's, and would use it on anything short of a moose or brown bear. I love the safety and stealth of a single shot weapon (you can tell if you're loaded/unloaded in the pitch dark, and break it open with one small "click", not shucking a lever or bolt.) I'm prejudiced but, if you think you'd like to try single-shot hunting, there aren't many guns better than this one. Do you have the money to buy it? Go get it. To anybody that says "OOHHH you paid too much for it" you can simply say KMA, I didn't ask you for a loan. The only drawback is that the ammo is expensive. When I started you could get 5 Lightfields for 4.99. Now it's over $3.00 every time you pull the trigger! Personally I woud ditch the sniper scope (it's NOT a 150-yd gun no matter what any "expert" tells you) and find a nice 2.5 Leupold/Burris for it. I J-B welded a scope rail down the barrel & set a Burris 2.75 Scout on mine. It might fly apart on the next shot but I have fired it 75 times without fail.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
What he said ^^^^^
With that, ask the seller what brand of ammo it likes....
Will cut down on the costs of trying every 20 ga. brand out there.
I'm assuming this is a 2 3/4" shell capacity....then again I never knew of a 3" or 3 1/2" version...
I hunted with 2 guys who owned the 12 ga version and they were tack drivers....
Very good gun for deer, especially down here in the SRA region...
Should be able to buy this H&R single shot for about half of what a Savage 220 costs....
BTW, The Leupold 2-7 shotgun scope will work great. I have them on my Encore 50 Cal & my son's Savage 220....

·
Registered
578 Posts
If you dont buy it send me the info on it. I had a 12ga one years ago and gave it to a friend when i moved to Alabama. Now that im back in PA i want another and they dont make them anymore.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Gun was at an auction. I wasn't able to attend, but my dad was there so he check it out for me and did some bidding. It had a 4x bushnell scope (unsure of model) and it was really short. I"m thinking it was the compact version. It ended up bring $375 + buyer fees which probably wasn't a bad buy, but was more than I was wanting to drop on it. The picture above was not the gun, that was actually a .243 they had. Here is the gun that I was looking at. Somehow I got them mixed up when I made the post.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts