The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was tossing around the idea of picking one of these up for next year. I have read reviews and it sounds like this gun is a real nail driver. I would be looking at getting the 20ga. Anyone have one, if so your feedback would be great. Thanks

·
Registered
95 Posts
My uncle owns a few NE Arms singles (very similar)and I he loves them. I find them very light and comfortable to carry ..so much in fact I slung one (unloaded) set up for turkey while also carrying my semi on some grouse drives. Although ..all of his are smooth bore ...he uses a pump for slugs.

·
Registered
846 Posts
The ultra slugs do not fit Moccasin's description. The 12 weighs more than a trap shotgun - super heavy. I've not held a 20, but hopefully, it's lighter.

I have the NEF tracker in 20 and use it for brush busting in ohio -- rifled barrel, decent sights. However, the barrel is too thin to drill and tap for scope mounts. They can be brazed on, but to be safe, they can't be drilled.

I looked at the ultraslug 12 and decided I did not want to carry it on the move

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
Actually, there is a model that is VERY light. Held it a Gander a couple months ago...

That being said, a slug gun being that light would probably nock the snot out of you.

I'll be getting a matching pair of 20 gauges for my kids in the next few years.

·
Registered
14 Posts
If you can find one buy it. I was lucky enough to find one a few weeks ago and I am very happy with the performance. I have the 20 gauge heavy barrel and the gun is a tack driver. I love shooting it but the big draw back is the slugs are expensive.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I finally found one and ordered it! Its being delivered to my local gunsmith and I am going to have a top quality scope mounted and then let the fun begin. I should have it by next weekend; just in enough time to get it dialed in for the late season down here in the SE.

·
Registered
3,745 Posts
I have a 20 ga ultra slugger with nikon glass. I got used for 200.00 from my local gun shop. I have it sighted in dead on at 100 yards. I have talken deer clean at 130 yrds. I confirmed range with laser range finder. The doe dropped in her tracks!

My gun likes Remington 20 ga 2 3/4 areo tip shells. Lightfields XPT 2 3/4 were a close second. I get 1.2 to 2 inch groups off bench rest. The 20 ga is really not too heavy. But The 12 ga is like nutz heavy.

Koz

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
ryanmcd777 said:
SE Bowhunter - did you get it? How do you like it? I am thinking of getting one myself.
I finally did get one. I got the 20 ga model with the thumbhole stock and I had put a Nikon Prostaff 2x7 scope on it. I had some issues at first with it. I was using Hornady sst with it and they weren't patterning well. It turns out I had a faulty scope and the scope rail on the gun became very loose. Took the gun back, got a new scope, locktighted the scope rail, and tried lightfield sabots. After a little tuning on the scope, knocked the center out of the bullseye with a couple shots. I can't really bad mouth the Hornady's because of scope issues, but the Lightfields seem to have not as much barrel whip, so i'm sticking with them. I am going out hunting Friday and Saturday and I am itching to see how it performs, which I think will be just as good in the field as it is on the bench. This gun is a true tack driver.

·
Registered
14 Posts
SE Bowhunter said:
ryanmcd777 said:
SE Bowhunter - did you get it? How do you like it? I am thinking of getting one myself.
I finally did get one. I got the 20 ga model with the thumbhole stock and I had put a Nikon Prostaff 2x7 scope on it. I had some issues at first with it. I was using Hornady sst with it and they weren't patterning well. It turns out I had a faulty scope and the scope rail on the gun became very loose. Took the gun back, got a new scope, locktighted the scope rail, and tried lightfield sabots. After a little tuning on the scope, knocked the center out of the bullseye with a couple shots. I can't really bad mouth the Hornady's because of scope issues, but the Lightfields seem to have not as much barrel whip, so i'm sticking with them. I am going out hunting Friday and Saturday and I am itching to see how it performs, which I think will be just as good in the field as it is on the bench. This gun is a true tack driver.
Hey we may have the same set up scope and thumbhole. Did you get the short or long forearm? Most thumbhole versions come with the short forearm but I was lucky to get one with the long. I tried a few few brands of the higher $$ sabot slugs but my best grouping came from Brenneke KO's a foster style slug. The one down fall of using these I have to clean out the barrel every 10 shots.
I did take my gun out on the last day of gun season and was able to take a doe at 40yrds. I was on mark but I noticed my slug did not pass through all the way and was stopped by the hide on the other side. Does this happen alot with slugs? My gun shots great but know I am thinking of getting the 12 gauge.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Xander1, I believe I have the short forearm. I didn't try the Brenneke's I was just using the Hornady's and the Lightfield Hybrid Sabots. The Hornady's packed some punch which surprised me as the scope nipped the bridge of my nose. The Lightfields seemed not to be as severe, but all my buddies use them and they have nothing but praise about them. Have you tried the Lightfields?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yes Lightfields were my first try. They did group good but I only bought a box. From what I remember they were faster out the barrel and they grouped high.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Xander1 said:
Yes Lightfields were my first try. They did group good but I only bought a box. From what I remember they were faster out the barrel and they grouped high.
And this was with scope adjustments? I grouped slightly high of center at 50 yds, so gravity should do the rest out to 100. I did not shoot at 100, because this late in the season the stand I'm at I can only shot to about 75. Anyways, good luck out there.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I picked up my 20 gauge Ultra Slug Hunter a week ago, topped it with a Redfiled 2x7. I can't find ammo anywhere. I tried the Hornady SST's but they do not group well out of my gun at all. Want to try the copper solids and lightfields but I can't find them anywhere. Anyone else finding it hard to get a selection of ammo? Every place I goto has a ton of SST's and thats about it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
your lucky - I have been all over and called a bunch of places as well. Finally found some copper solids at Di*ks Sporting Goods and French Creek has some Accutips in. Planning on shooting a little this afternoon to see if I can get something to group.

·
Registered
64 Posts
After spending way too much money trying to find the ammo my gun liked the best - the last box I shot on Friday were the Accutips - and they were the winners. 3 shots touching at 50yds and 2" group at 100. Its amazing how bad the others shot out of my gun.

·
Registered
1,896 Posts
i have the heavy barrel 12 ga and i shoot the coppersolids and they shoot great out of my gun, but every gun is different.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts