The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A couple years ago I needed a slug gun so I bought the same gun my dad had, an H&R single shot in 20 guage. Topped it off with a Cabelas Pine Ridge shotgun scope. Well the thing was a tack driver big time, it actualy shot better at 100 yards than my rifle. Well this year I went to sight it in, and its spraying slugs everywhere. I cleaned the gun and the same thing happened. I'm wondering if the rather cheap scope went south on me. I'm using Lightfield sabot slugs which used to be the most accurate ones I ever used. Howerever this year I notice after one shot the barrel is filthy inside with alot of particles. This concerns me because Archery season has been a disaster for me, so I'm gonna spend most of gun season scouting out hard to find areas. Now I can use my dad's gun yea, but I'd love to get my gun shooting straight. What would be your guess? I'm thinking the scope went bad. These Sabot slugs aren't cheap but would you get a couple different types and shoot them?

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Couple of things. The obvious first. Scope and mounts tight? That always seems to be the biggest culprit.

The slugs themselves. Go buy some with a different LOT number. Since you stated it's filthy after one shot the powder maybe a bit bad.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for you response. Yes I checked the mounts they are Torx fasteners and they are good and tight. As far as the slugs I thought it was very bizarre the barrel was so dirty after one shot. Another odd thing I noticed last year was the gun would only group well for about 7 to 10 shots then it began spraying shots. I would clean the gun and it would shoot well again. I mean its not a muzzleloader for pete's sake! This would almost point to an ammo problem. Anyone ever have trouble with Lightfield sabots? They were the best slugs I tried two years ago. Anyone have any recommendations for a good sabot to try? Thank you very much

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
I've always had good luck with Winchester Supremes. My 12 gauge Mossberg likes them, and a buddies 20 gauge Mossberg likes them. Just go buy a few boxes. My buddy did that a couple weeks ago, and the lightfields shot the worst out of what he tried. They weren't bad, but not near as good as the Winchesters. At least it was a 20 gauge as he sent about 40 rounds down range that day.

Some guns just don't like a dirty bore. I've heard of guns acting like yours, and mine shoots fine after 20-30 rounds. I do run a bronze brush through mine from time to time.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok I'm gonna try and find some and give them a try. Thanks

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok finally cleaned my gun and shot it again, still spraying the Lightfields. So I had found a box of Federal sabots, dont remember where I got them I think I bought them 3 years ago when I got the gun. I was shocked 4 shots and they were all in a 1 1/2" group. So its most certainly the ammo, now I have the misfortune of going to Cabelas on black friday. Oh well.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I had 2 rifle on me this year went from shooting 3 shots in a quater at the 100 yd target to a 8 " groupe that drove me crazy.
I started to re-check my loads you name it I did it base mount,rings, screws that hold the barrel action in the stock.
I was out again and after a few shots the scope cross hairs clocked to the right o.k. scope was gone.
I replaced it and to my surprise the gun shot the way it use too.
I also change the other scope and Bingo it was back on track.
I think cabelas have a lifetime warranty with there scope if you still have the receipt

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yea dont have the receipt anymore but the fact that it shot very well with a very cheap sabot probably means for some bizarre reason its started spraying the same sabots it shot best with last year. I cant even explain it I'll get to Cabelas friday just as they open and get a few boxes of Winchesters or maybe I can find those federals it shot well

·
Registered
746 Posts
Shooting a few boxes of slugs before realizing it's not the ammo and you'll have just as much tied up in slugs as the scope's worth.

I'd suggest writing a letter to Lightfield explaining the situation. You may get some free ammo out of the deal.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good idea for after the season, but I need the gun shooting good for next week. Maybe I'm a little finicky , i was shooting with a buddy who was shooting his Beretta slugger- and my H&R "spraying" sabots shot alot tighter groups than his gun. He thinks I'm nuts. Really the lightfields can hold a 2" group at 50 yards and where i hunt its thick, however this gun is usually a tack driver. Maybe something in the Lightfield powder degrades over time? Then why did'nt it affect the Federals?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts