The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've deceided to buy the H&R BUFFALO CLASSIC IN 45/70,whats your thoughts on this rifle i always wanted a single shot 45/70 with an octagon barrel so for my budgit right now the H&R works--anyone have experiance with this rifle?

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The BC has a round barrel not octagon (unless they have a different model out). I have one and it is a shooter. I like it, about the only negative I can think of is when I run some hot loads through it that curved metal butt plate starts to kick my butt after a while. They are not too friendly to the shoulder with hot loads.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sendaro,your right the gun shop just called me back and they are indeed round barrels[i'm bummed]now i may re-think this purchase

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
I have an H&R BC and love it. Do I wish it had an octagon barrel-you bet!! But for what I paid for it a few years ago, it is worth it`s weight in gold. I took a 9 point buck with mine this year.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OCTAGON,because of you i re-thought this H&R thing out and i'm picking it up tomarrow;i know i'll enjoy it; i may have to remove my dentures though when shooting some of the loads i've been reading up on.i'll post pic's of my deer that i get when using it next year!

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
vapor trail said:
OCTAGON,because of you i re-thought this H&R thing out and i'm picking it up tomarrow;i know i'll enjoy it; i may have to remove my dentures though when shooting some of the loads i've been reading up on.i'll post pic's of my deer that i get when using it next year!
Cool man!! My has the ejecter, your new one will have an extractor, meening mine throws the shell out and your pulls it out just enough for you to take it out manually. I like extractors better. By the way, I am shooting mine with 405 lead bullets at about 1250-1350 FPS. The old blackpowder loading of 70 grains came out of a trapdoor at 1400. I will shooting the blackpowder shells once I run out of my cowboy loads. Either one will kill a deer though.

P.S. How much are you paying for a new one?

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
That`s not bad for the quality of gun these are!! By the way, they prefer the heavier bullets of 400 plus grain. I paid 286 about 5 years ago for mine.

·
Registered
1,957 Posts
I had one and all I can say they will shoot I tried B/P loads with the 405 grain cast and the 525 postal grains with 65 grains of 2F man they will rock you dentures.
I still have a B.C> but in 38-55 like less recoil and still shoot great.I do shoot it with iron sights Williams peep set-up out to 500 yards in north Carolina at a private range,my load in a sarco mould 255 soft lead bullet and 33.0 grains of IMR 30031 around 1700 fps no gas check no barrel leading.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts