The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
  • Hey Guest, it looks like you haven't made your first post yet. Until you make an introduction thread, the rest of the site is locked to posting. Why not take a few minutes to say hi!
21 - 40 of 61 Posts

· Super Moderator
3,779 Posts
Not a very good description if you ask me.Team Hoyt and grey is all you really know about the truck.A 1500 body isn't much different than a 2500 or 3500.If it was smaller it could have been a Dakota.Then again it could have been a grey Colorado with a Team Hoyt sticker.You don't know for sure.I'm just guessing here but I think the Team Hoyt sticker may not be one of a kind.You didn't see the guy leave or enter the vehicle either so the actual thief may have parked some place you didn't see the vehicle or walked in from a house nearby.The driver of that truck may have been checking his stand just like you were and by coincidence,simply left before you.He may have been out walking.I don't like thieves either,had 3 stands and tree steps stolen,however your info may work but it is not very good.Why you rushed in to check your stand is also beyond me.That decal wouldn't have alarmed me.I see trucks with decals all the time.If the police go to a persons house and find 25 unmarked tree stands they can't do a thing.I'm allowed to own 25 tree stands and so are you.If it was marked with an id number the game would change.If it was reported to have one.How many people actually,honestly mark the stand they use?Police don't have the time to investigate tree stand theft.They never checked into my stolen boat.If it isn't grand theft they don't have the time or resources to investigate.

· Registered
4,786 Posts
After losing $700.00 in stands a couple years ago. I don't leave anything in the woods. Ebay, craigs list, yard sales, and even sites like this are full of stolen stands. They'll have to take them from my home if they feel brave enough to!

· Banned
3,596 Posts
Really?

I'm surprised.

Hiamovi said:
Not a very good description if you ask me.Team Hoyt and grey is all you really know about the truck.A 1500 body isn't much different than a 2500 or 3500.If it was smaller it could have been a Dakota.Then again it could have been a grey Colorado with a Team Hoyt sticker.You don't know for sure.I'm just guessing here but I think the Team Hoyt sticker may not be one of a kind.You didn't see the guy leave or enter the vehicle either so the actual thief may have parked some place you didn't see the vehicle or walked in from a house nearby.The driver of that truck may have been checking his stand just like you were and by coincidence,simply left before you.He may have been out walking.I don't like thieves either,had 3 stands and tree steps stolen,however your info may work but it is not very good.Why you rushed in to check your stand is also beyond me.That decal wouldn't have alarmed me.I see trucks with decals all the time.If the police go to a persons house and find 25 unmarked tree stands they can't do a thing.I'm allowed to own 25 tree stands and so are you.If it was marked with an id number the game would change.If it was reported to have one.How many people actually,honestly mark the stand they use?Police don't have the time to investigate tree stand theft.They never checked into my stolen boat.If it isn't grand theft they don't have the time or resources to investigate.

· Registered
1,253 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
GIE said:
Really?

I'm surprised.

Hiamovi said:
I'm surprised as well. It doesn't even grant a response in my book. The thread was started as a heads up to anyone who has treestands up in the area.

· Registered
2,514 Posts
after reading this i figured i would go and check my ladder stands i leave up all year on my property behind my house. well, wouldn't you know it, the one at the very bottom of my property was messed with. somebody cut all the ropes and the cinch straps and pulled it down. but i have a 1/2" plastic coated braided steel cable and heavy master lock on it and i guess they forgot the bolt cutters. i pulled it down and brought it up to the house and will fix it. but this really steams me. it was obviously someone who knew the stand was not abandoned because my boundaries are clearly marked with no trespassing signs and they had to walk right between them to get to it. it must have happened in rifle season or after because i was down there in mid-november and it was fine. i won't be putting it back in the same place because it is close to the property line and the furthest spot from my house and not that great of a spot anyway. i would love to catch these knuckleheads and give them a little frontier justice.

· Registered
304 Posts
I would never consider leaving my stand chained up in the woods. I love my summit too much and am paranoid of thieves.
I would remind folks that many of us have a cell phone with a camera. If you get in the habit of using the camera, you tend to remember it more often. Use it to snap a pic of anything suspicious or of something you want to recall later. I always use it when I take things apart, knowing I will forget how to put it back together later.

To the OP, a big THANKS for caring enough to warn your fellow hunters.

· Registered
70 Posts
GUNNY said:
I would never consider leaving my stand chained up in the woods. I love my summit too much and am paranoid of thieves.
I would remind folks that many of us have a cell phone with a camera. If you get in the habit of using the camera, you tend to remember it more often. Use it to snap a pic of anything suspicious or of something you want to recall later. I always use it when I take things apart, knowing I will forget how to put it back together later.

To the OP, a big THANKS for caring enough to warn your fellow hunters.
couldnt have said it better myself

· Registered
223 Posts
Hiamovi said:
You don't by chance drive a dark grey Dodge Ram with a Hoyt sticker on the rear window?

· Registered
95 Posts
"If the police go to a persons house and find 25 unmarked tree stands they can't do a thing."

That is utter nonsense. All you need to tell the police is the make (a catalog picture is fine) and ANY distinguishing features. For instance on my aluminum stand, I have a foam mat glued to the seat that no other one will have.

A distinguishing mark can be anything that the police can look for to confirm a unique owner. And dont be afraid to make a $20 donation to the police PBA fund - works wonders.

· Banned
152 Posts
some guy i know.....told me a story of a guy stealing stands in his turf, which was his friends land, after about 10 of his stands were taken, which were locked and had to be cut, he took a nice freshly painted older ladder stand and painted it gloss black, took it to the woods ratcheted the seat tight to the tree and left, he told me it was only one section of about 6 feet to the seat, about a week later, there was a news story about a guy that had fallen out of a treestand from about 6 feet and broke his arm, later it was identified that the man wasnt hunting but was in fact taking peoples stands because they were hunting in "his spot"......later i found out that the guy had taken a hack saw through the tubing about 5 feet up from the backside about 3/4 the way through, guess the worthless criminal finally figured out that some people are smarter than the criminals......

· Registered
1,878 Posts
Hiamovi said:
what an amazing post???? wonder if it was your stand if younwouldv have been as suspicous as the original poster

· Registered
11,813 Posts
I had a stand stolen early this fall as well, not far from Plum. Funny thing is, I was walking in to hunt out of that stand when I discoveed it was gone. I had another stand about 100 yards further out than that one. I walked in to that one. It was chained to the tree and still there. I hunted that stand instead. Only sat there for about an hour and shot my buck. So to whoever stole my stand, thanks for directing me to the proper one that aftenoon, but I still hope you get "yours" in the end.

· Registered
75 Posts
Hiamovi said:
You seem pretty steamed that someone had the nerve to post about narrowly missing catching someone stealing his stand. How dare the OP let others in the area know about a possible treestand thief!! And how dare he have an incomplete description of a vehicle that he only saw for a couple seconds! You're right. It could have been a green Dakota, or a blue Cavalier, heck maybe it was a bicycle. Now that I think about it, the "suspicious" guy was definitely just out for a walk and he was probably just making sure all the treestands in the area were properly attached to their respective trees. He was definitely innocent.
You sound like a defense attorney. And that's not a compliment.

No wonder you have had three stands and a boat stolen.

I appreciate the original post and I'm glad that I have some upstanding neighbors in Plum that keep their eyes open and make an effort to stand up against coward thieves.

· Registered
6,161 Posts
Well, in the debate about treestand types, score one for the climber.

While it may not have the convenience, speed, or stealth of a pre-deployed stand, if you want mine, you'll need to be able to (a) carry 16 pounds quickly on your getaway, and (b) make that getaway with numerous holes in you, approximately .40 inches in diameter.

21 - 40 of 61 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.