The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I caught a guy stealing treestands today in Plum right along Rt. 286. I have a lock on up there along with climbing sticks that I hadn't been to in 3 weeks so I decided to go in and check on them. When I pulled up to the parking area I noticed a dark grey truck with a Team Hoyt back window decal. It was in the lower left hand corner of the rear window.

I knew that was suspicious because even though I had seen other treestands in those woods I had never seen another hunter come in from where I park. As I get to the top of the hill I notice a guy carrying a lock on stand and he seems to be ignoring me (even though we're walking past each other only 30 yards away). I whistled and said hello. At that point I knew something was wrong so I quickly rushed over to where my stand was from there (only about 150 yards). I get there and my lock and and climbing sticks are taken down from the tree and wrapped up right at the base (my camo ratchet straps were missing). I followed the footprints in the fresh snow we just got overnight and it did a circle directly to where I saw the guy the first time. So I hurried to my stand to grab my lock and and climbing sticks then rushed down to where the trucks were, he was gone.

My concern is there is another nice climber treestand that's been left at the base of a tree all season long, and another hang on pretty close to that. This guy was going right for that climber when I stopped him. If either of these stands is yours you may want to get him out of there!

PM me if you think the treestands might be yours and want some specifics (don't want to broadcast open stands locations right over the Internet). If you don't live close and can identify exactly what the stands look like I don't have a problem getting them out of the woods for you today or tomorrow and you can pick them up at your leisure.

·
Registered
222 Posts
that guy deserves a fresh dog turd carefully placed under the door handle of his truck and a potato in his tail pipe.

I hope you filed a police report.

·
Registered
12,209 Posts
A thief is a thief and if they steal treestands, credit cards, cash, trail cams or a kids halloween candy they are all criminals with poor character and low moral fiber.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'd check your local classifieds and CRAIGSLIST and maybe make a flyer discribing the man and his truck, post it in sporting good stores. put an add on craigslist asking for help locating your stand.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BradleyRas said:
I'd check your local classifieds and CRAIGSLIST and maybe make a flyer discribing the man and his truck, post it in sporting good stores. put an add on craigslist asking for help locating your stand.
I've already been looking for people selling stands in the surrounding areas. Luckily though he didn't get my stand since I got there before he could get it out of the woods. I did plan to hunt from it from the remaining of the season. I guess the good news is he did all the work of getting it out of the tree for me without even knowing what he was doing, I just had to carry it out of the woods.

What's strange is there were 3 stands in this same small patch of woods that I knew of other than mine and they were left in all season. I had a trail cam in there for 2 months that 2 other guys walked right up on a few times (I have the pics) but they didn't take it. The guys that hunt in there are good people, I just have no clue where this person came from, or how he knew the stands were even in there.

·
Registered
315 Posts
My step brother lives in plum and has a couple of his stands stolen as well. Hopefully Karma lets him fall out of one of the stolen stands!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
I live not far from plum and I'm sure a lot of others on here do as well. Sounds like a fairly unique truck with that sticker located in that spot. Give a better description of the truck, maybe general year make n model, and we can keep an eye out for it. I'd bet within a month someone will see it at a gas station or somewhere and be able to get a plate number off it.

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
contact the plum police. they will follow up. If he knows the area, he is likely from there and they can ID the vehicle.

·
Registered
3,432 Posts
File a police report. Be as descriptive as possible in describing the vehicle, person and treestands. You don't need the license plate number. As already mentioned, the local police and WCO may already know the vehicle you described.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys. I'll have to do that. A better description of the truck is as follows. It was dark grey I know that for sure. It appeared to be a newer model Dodge Ram. It couldn't have been more than a few years old because it didn't have that old body style. I'd say it was a 2008 or so at least. It was smaller so I'm assuming it was the 1500. I only got to see the tailights of the truck because like I said when I saw the Team Hoyt window decal I knew something was up so hurried to get up the hill as quick as I could.

·
Registered
1,697 Posts
Check with the guys at Ultimate Outdoors on Rte. 286 -- I'm sure he's a customer there...and maybe Jason and/or Tim know who he is!

·
Registered
62 Posts
^^^^Yes! With a narrow description of the individual and decent description of the truck I bet I could find out who it is through my sources. My one buddies dad knows EVERYONE.

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Even on our private property we have tree stands come up missing. So I stopped using them years back and hunt from the ground for archery and rifle. The lack of respect these days by other so called "sportsman" is shameful.

I sure hope you find out who it is.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts