The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to buy my son a knife for deer hunting. Is it worth it to get one with a gut hook?

·
Registered
1,728 Posts
I have a bunch of knives that all get use. Only one has a gut hook and it is the Browning FDT or FTD. I like the gut hook and have NEVER heard or smelled the hiss and stank of a punctured stomach when using it.

·
Registered
3,722 Posts
Yep, they work. Just get a sharpener for it. I have used them for deer and small game. Just keep it sharp

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
check out these buck knifes on ebay ,,no gut hook but a nice knife ,,decent price ,,just got one for a xmas gift
BUCK BANTAM 286CMS9

·
Registered
3,316 Posts
I have 3 knives I use for gutting/skinning deer. One has a guy hook. I've used it twice (the gut hook) i learned the old fashion way with sticking two fingers in, spreading them apart and pulling up on the belly, then slicing between your fingers... I've never cut the stomach open while gutting that way. Generally do it that way beacuse it's just the way i learned it, and have no problem with it. Why fix something that ain't broke? oh, one time i did use the guy hook, it cut the hide, but not down through the inner "layer" and I ended up having to cut back through it the old fashion way anyway...

·
Registered
1,703 Posts
Second the Browning FDT...
15 years and hundreds of deer later... Still going strong....
Little smelly....
Bad luck to wash your hunting knife you know.

·
Registered
3,285 Posts

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Try the Wyoming knife. It is lightweight and has holes to put your fingers so it does not slip when it is bloody.

·
Registered
7,171 Posts
My brother has the buck alpha crosslock. Its probably the best knife I ever seen. Except his is camo and he always looses it.

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
I use a Carpet blade in a folding utility knife to gut and make all the initial cuts to skin a deer. The carpet blade is hooked like a gut hook blade and you can get a 5 pack of blades( really 10 because the hooks are on each end, just flip around when dull) and a cheap folding utility knife at a place like Harbor Freight for @ $15. I still carry and occasionally use a Buck-Lite folder that I have since I was 12 years old but I am afraid to lose it or forget it next to a gut pile. The cheap utility knives with those blades work extremely well and I won't lose any sleep if I lose one.

Now I know the proud tradition of a Father handing down or buying their child a hunting knife and I have done that with all 3 of my boys. They all have their first "good" knife but all 3 since carry the Utility/Carpet blade ones too.

·
Super Moderator
12,803 Posts
Yes they are nice options for gut hooks, but most of the knives have larger blades or they are a second item to carry and I like a long slimmer blade for the [censored] work, so I have used a fixed blade Buck Pathfinder for many years. I like to travel light as possible so I only want to carry one knife that will do all.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
Field knife: Buck Omni Hunter (with gut hook) - don't leave home without it

Skinning knife: Havalon (EXCEPTIONAL! Will never use another knife for skinning.)

·
Registered
80 Posts
The gut hooks work well, but I personally like my blades plain. I keep a utility knife with the carpet hook blades in my truck to help with skinning process; they work great and are cheap and razor sharp.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts