The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone up for a carnival ride this afternoon? I’m not surprised there are no threads for yesterday or today. However, I’ve got a window for this afternoon, and can’t get out again till the 24th. Thinking about going for it, I’ve got a fixed stand in a 2’ diameter big solid oak.... banking on things calming down a touch just before dark.

·
Registered
2,838 Posts
I was thinking about it for this afternoon until my youngest son got the flu this morning. I actually like it when its this windy. Just as good as a light misty day. I have taken a few deer in archery on days such as this just still hunting and spot and stalk. Good luck if you head out. Watch for widow makers.

·
Registered
2,366 Posts
Got the kids from the bus stop about 15 minutes ago....
Even if I could go out this evening, NOPE.
Wind was hauling butt non-stop, with some gusts probably over 45MPH tossed in for good measure.
Kicker is I saw 3 deer way across the cornfield across the street, ~600 yards out...

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I was thinking about it for this afternoon until my youngest son got the flu this morning. I actually like it when its this windy. Just as good as a light misty day. I have taken a few deer in archery on days such as this just still hunting and spot and stalk. Good luck if you head out. Watch for widow makers.
The wind has been 15 to 25 all day and gusting to 50. I stayed home. I have to get out to my stand and check the trail to make sure there are no branches or trees across it so I can't run my ATV on it on Sat. Still supposed to be wind tomorrow 14 mph til evening..

·
Registered
320 Posts
I went to a spot that fits the prevailing winds “ok”. It’s a spot I’ll only hunt till pheasant comes in because after that it gets over run with the bird crowd. I got a couple pictures of a good buck in here early September, but today’s hunt is all about the doe.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't mind missing a few days because of the wind. I really have no choice. Last Thursday afternoon I was bitten by a spider that crawled into my sweat pants on the inside of my left thigh and I had a bad infection with a red spot as big as a saucer and a lump as big as an egg. Monday I went to my Doc who put me on two week of Doxycillion. It is doing much better now, the lump is gone and most of the redness as well and I am planing to get out to hunt Saturday.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I still hunted/scouted for a bit this morning to where I could see some bedding. I saw a real good one heading back to bed down, I snuck out quietly. I'm set back up in the area now on the ground for this evening.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happy I got out, it’s windy but I’ve sat in worse good luck anyone out this last hour here

·
Registered
5,052 Posts
I hunted yesterday afternoon in spitting rain and 25 mph winds and took a beating and never saw a deer. I decided to take the day off but regretting it because it looks like the wind died down a little at prime time.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
Went out for a ground sneak tonight. At about 615 i was able to sneak with 35yds of 3 nice size does working their way up to the fields. They didnt slow up any and i didnt want to try a 35yd shot with the wind. Looped around to work back towards the house and at 630 got within 25yds of a bruiser 10pt. He was browsing unaware of my presence, but was in amongst high raspberry bushes and other brush so no shot. When he entered a small opening at around 20yds it was around 638 and pretty dark in the woods. I came to full draw but couldnt see my pin very well and couldnt be 100% sure there wasnt any small brush between me and him so i decided against the shot. Really got the blood flowing though!!!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I don't mind missing a few days because of the wind. I really have no choice. Last Thursday afternoon I was bitten by a spider that crawled into my sweat pants on the inside of my left thigh and I had a bad infection with a red spot as big as a saucer and a lump as big as an egg. Monday I went to my Doc who put me on two week of Doxycillion. It is doing much better now, the lump is gone and most of the redness as well and I am planing to get out to hunt Saturday.
Spider bites are no joke. 5 years ago or so one bit me on the back of the leg and rotted a hole in my leg. I went to the urgent care and was told there was nothing they could do but watch the rot and if it spread I would need to see a doctor for surgery. Lucky for me it stopped. My chiropractor said he could have put his whole first knuckle of his pinky finger in the hole.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Went out for a ground sneak tonight. At about 615 i was able to sneak with 35yds of 3 nice size does working their way up to the fields. They didnt slow up any and i didnt want to try a 35yd shot with the wind. Looped around to work back towards the house and at 630 got within 25yds of a bruiser 10pt. He was browsing unaware of my presence, but was in amongst high raspberry bushes and other brush so no shot. When he entered a small opening at around 20yds it was around 638 and pretty dark in the woods. I came to full draw but couldnt see my pin very well and couldnt be 100% sure there wasnt any small brush between me and him so i decided against the shot. Really got the blood flowing though!!!
Awesome.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Headed out in the morning to pull all my trail cams before muzzy bear comes in on Saturday because I don't want some of them to walk off ! Then in the afternoon I plan on going back to the clearcut that I saw the 2 bucks in Tuesday evening and hope to redeem myself !!

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
I don't mind missing a few days because of the wind. I really have no choice. Last Thursday afternoon I was bitten by a spider that crawled into my sweat pants on the inside of my left thigh and I had a bad infection with a red spot as big as a saucer and a lump as big as an egg. Monday I went to my Doc who put me on two week of Doxycillion. It is doing much better now, the lump is gone and most of the redness as well and I am planing to get out to hunt Saturday.[/QUOTE

Could you, or did you ID the spider?

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I went out last evening. Had 2 yearlings feeding around and after about the 4th time wind switch direction I finally decided to pack it in. Ended up seeing 5 does and small buck in a field on my drive out of the farm. Surprised I seen that many as windy as it was. Hopefully tonight will be better.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't mind missing a few days because of the wind. I really have no choice. Last Thursday afternoon I was bitten by a spider that crawled into my sweat pants on the inside of my left thigh and I had a bad infection with a red spot as big as a saucer and a lump as big as an egg. Monday I went to my Doc who put me on two week of Doxycillion. It is doing much better now, the lump is gone and most of the redness as well and I am planing to get out to hunt Saturday.[/QUOTE

Could you, or did you ID the spider?
No I never saw it. The Doc said he was sure it wasn't a brown recluse but he didn't know what kind.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts