The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Had some delivered to the house. Never opened the shipping box, stinking the whole house up. LOL Put it outside on the porch. Any chance of this freezing? Don't know what I will do if so.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Haha, I bet the delivery people just love us! I've kept mine in an unheated shed throughout the winter and was fine. The weather isn't supposed to get too bad before fisher season. I put mine in another bigger glass (not plastic) jar that seals good, seems to help contain the smell a little more.

·
Registered
2,493 Posts
just a dab behind your ear is all it takes!!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thought the wife was going to kill me!! LOL Wished I had it during Trick or Treat. What fun I could've had!!

·
Registered
481 Posts
I've been catching fox with it this week. I can smell my set 50 yards away :) Don't need to rebait after multiple catches :)

I got it to try for fisher myself after two years with no luck. Seems a lot of guys like gusto for fisher. Good luck to you!

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
npellegrene said:
I've been catching fox with it this week. I can smell my set 50 yards away :) Don't need to rebait after multiple catches :)

I got it to try for fisher myself after two years with no luck. Seems a lot of guys like gusto for fisher. Good luck to you!
Than you Sir! Counting down the days until the time to go. Feels like waiting for the first day of Deer all over again. LOL

·
Registered
626 Posts
bobcat1 said:
npellegrene said:

Than you Sir! Counting down the days until the time to go. Feels like waiting for the first day of Deer all over again. LOL
and that was just a week ago XD. When it rains in pours i guess.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I got a dozen bottles in the other day for the shop, the shop smelled so bad we had to put it in the ammo container that we use to store skunk tincture in.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
furcatcher said:
I got a dozen bottles in the other day for the shop, the shop smelled so bad we had to put it in the ammo container that we use to store skunk tincture in.
Furcatcher, did that help? I will be driving 2 hours in an SUV to go to the spot I have. Other than tying the stuff outside the vehicle, I am running out of ideas. It still is in the shipping box and stinking! LOL

·
Registered
748 Posts
Ziplock bag with cedar chips in it....

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
Plastic coffee can, tape lid.

bc1, as you know, you are dealing with a powerful lure. I think you are new to trapping as I read your posts.
Many newbies tend to over use lures and tainted baits, thinking more is better. Newbies even think there is magic in that one ounce bottle and all they need to catch 'em.
By that, applying too much lure at set or no understanding how to apply during all weather conditions.
Using lure correctly is an art and learned task, but often is overlooked by set location and set construction. But all details are important, an intertwined system for consistent success.
My thoughts of a newbie using powerful lures and no clue how to apply, he's going to have problems sooner or later. In no way bc1 am I downing you, just drawing from my experiences and observations.

·
Premium Member
24,100 Posts
Hern said:

bc1, as you know, you are dealing with a powerful lure. I think you are new to trapping as I read your posts.
Many newbies tend to over use lures and tainted baits, thinking more is better. Newbies even think there is magic in that one ounce bottle and all they need to catch 'em.
By that, applying too much lure at set or no understanding how to apply during all weather conditions.
Using lure correctly is an art and learned task, but often is overlooked by set location and set construction. But all details are important, an intertwined system for consistent success.
My thoughts of a newbie using powerful lures and no clue how to apply, he's going to have problems sooner or later. In no way bc1 am I downing you, just drawing from my experiences and observations.
And you can take that to the bank

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
If you can't stand the smell you might want to get your boyfriend to do the trapping for ya, Just saying LOL.
It actually doesn't bug me anymore I kinda like it now.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hern said:

Thanks for the info. How about letting me know how to apply it. I am thinking the size of a dime.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
bearhunter jay, Please read page one of this thread. Boyfriend???????????????????? Wife would be really upset. Merry Christmas!!

·
Registered
339 Posts
what worked for me was just dip a small piece of stick in the jar and with just a little lure on it and throw in in the bait hole or do two holes and put bait in one and lure in other. maybe as much as the size of 1/4 of a dime if that.

·
Registered
6,178 Posts
bc1, That's something you may learn on your own.
There is no fast answer, and some things in trapping is learn from trial and error or testing. If you have questions on the use of a certain lure, talk with the lure maker, ask how to apply for your trapping conditions, they are always happy to answer our questions.
Then make some test sets with different amounts and different weather conditions. See how fast they are worked, how they get worked and how often they are worked.
Record all the goings on and you may better understand when and how that lure works. Hence; knowing how to use it in all weather conditions.
No quick answer in finding out what to use and how much to use.
I tell newbies to start and use gland lure, Beaver Castor, Urine or any combination. I feel you can't overuse these scents and they will catch any Pa. furbearer.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I'll add to that and tell you to put a game camera on a set if you have one. I'm not advocating buying one just for this purpose, but if you already have it, use it. Set it to video mode with a big SD card. You can learn quite a bit from that on what you are doing right and wrong.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts