The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old 1896 krag that was my grandfathers and took it to a smith and he test fired it and said it headspaced fine but had a bad chamber and it split the case mouths and messed the shoulder up and roughed up the bottom of the brass, but it was either on here or at one of the shops I was at said it might be headspaceing issue. I don't really trust the smith that told me that because he took off the old lyman peep and NEVER put it back on and had it bagged up in his DESK!!! when I asked about it(he wasn't there when I picked I it up) the other guy had to go ramming around looking all over it, so im not sure I trust what he thinks? anybody have any ideas what might be wrong or recommend a smith? I really wanna take it hunting or atleast shoot it. thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
You might try Village Arms in Gap. I have used them once or twice. A little slow turn around time but quality work.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
MOSSYOAK1957 said:
Did you get your peep sight back?
That's a $100.00+ peep sight
I did get it back after the other guy found it. except he never put it back on, so who knows if I get to shoot it if it will even be on.

·
Registered
5,415 Posts
Not to hijack, but I also live in Montgomery county, and would like to find a reputable gunsmith in 5C!

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Can you be any more descriptive in what happens to the brass when the rifle is fired? Pics of fired brass maybe?

Krags are notorious for having "liberal" chambers at times, and reloading with care to minimally resize the brass can help solve modest headspace/shoulder issues, within reason.

My 1896 blows out the shoulders of fired brass to almost look like they've been "Ackley Improved", lol. It's never split a case head or neck, but I also size my brass to remove excess space between the shoulder of the case and the chamber.

Just curious. Might be able to get you on track here without the intervention of a smith.

·
Registered
35 Posts
There's a fella near Harleysville that did some work for me.
Very satisfied and a nice man......Tom Miller 215 723-9820
Mention Jim with the Model 88 he cleaned !

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Heres some pictures of the brass that the smith gave me when i picked it up. Im assuming its just remmie factories.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Those case heads look pretty stretched. Any chance you have access to something like the Hornady headspace gauge, or something similar where you could get a measurement to the shoulder?

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
aswallace911 said:
I dont would that be sble to tell me my problem
What I'm looking for with that measurement is to see how far forward the shoulder has moved from SAAMI spec/factory ammo. That would give an idea of whether or not that aspect is an issue.

Split necks....hmmm....

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
The shoulder looks to be dented right at the split on both cases, which would lead me to believe you have a high spot in the chamber right at the shoulder, also the pic of the case head shows small striations that typically indicate case head stretch so I would assume your chamber is on the long side and you have a bit of a headspace issue but without measurements its hard to say how bad it really is. I would expect a smith to polish the chamber as a first step on something like that. If he told you the gun headspaces within spec I would want to know what he did to determine that. Some smiths check headspace with a cartridge. They drop it in close the bolt and check for bolt movement. If there is no movement then they assume the shoulder is touching and the case is tight against the bolt, if there is a little movement they assume its still within spec. The problem in your case is that you have something going on in your chamber right at the shoulder, debris, rust, defect in how it was cut, etc. Whatever it is may hit the shoulder early and the bolt closed on a case method of checking headspace would give you a false reading of it being alright when you actually have excessive headspace. If he used gauges, depending on how bad the imperfection in the chamber is it may still throw him off a bit.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
Well, the thing with headspace is that a rimmed cartridge like the 30-40 headspaces on the rim. It could still be out of spec, but a headspace gauge for that round might not find it?

I've offered to the OP to use my headspace gauges for my micrometer to measure his fired brass, and I'll need to get my hands on some factory/full-length sized Krag brass to compare. My Krag brass is all partial full length sized (or fired) and won't give me the baseline I need.

I'll bet that shoulder is going a fair bit forward on firing. I don't think that accounts for the neck split, but the marks at the case head seem pretty clear that there's some stress there.

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
I guess I jumped the gun on that, didn't even notice it was a rimmed cartridge. I just looked at the split and dent in the shoulder then responded.

·
Super Moderator
7,841 Posts
While informative, it won't help me to check shoulder displacement. The Hornady headspace gauge I use on my mic measures not at set point on the shoulder, but at the point where the collet and shoulder make contact. Result is that it is useful to compare, but not to get a measurement to a specific point.

To refer to the SAAMI drawings, I'd need to measure to the same point on the shoulder where the measurements are made by SAAMI. I can't insure that the Hornady gauge I use will do that.

What I need is to get a factory spec brass (several are better, as I can then average the readings) and compare their measurements to fired brass from this rifle. Then we'll see how far that shoulder is moving when the brass is fired in this particular rifle.

I guess I could just set my sizer die back to full length sizing (it's set to PFL now), size 3 or 4 of my brass, and use them to compare.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts