The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
went to the pgh mills show today. got there at 9:30. the line was about 300 yards long and the inside looked packed. went to breakfast and came back at 11 and it was the same. turned around and left and cruised gunstores instead. every store had people constantly redialing the instant check number and getting busy. one guy said he has been trying for 5 hours. what a bummer. when will this panic buying stop? ever??

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Went past Dixies in Hughesvile today, intended on stopping. No parking, cars up and down 220! The big Clarkstown gun auction was also today, never saw a bigger crowd or higher prices paid.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Its crazy. I visit Sportsman's Supply in Butler on a regular basis. They have been absolutely PACKED ever since the day after the shooting.

Im thoroughly impressed with their ability to keep the shelves stocked. I dont know what kind of merchandise connections they have, but their racks are refilled as quickly as they are emptied.

·
Registered
76 Posts
i worked at the UPS center in East Butler for awhile and i could not get over how much ammo went through that facility from Sportsman's Supply. i worked the evenings there so i only saw the "output" from the store. i could only imagine how much was coming into that place. i was going to stop by today but there was at least 15 people lined up outside the door. In contrast, i stopped at Gun World in Harrisville... empty. Nothing on the racks. Very few guns and ammo. I'm not sure how that place is still in business? i didnt look much at the guns, but everything else seemed like decent prices tho.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Ive only ever been in Gun World one time and I'll never go back.

Sportsmans Supply is a great store. Their online auction sales alone most likely trumps ANY other gun shop in this area total sales.

I work in Butler and waste a few lunch hours a week, just browsing and talking to the guys up there. Its unreal the amount of inventory they turn over each and every day.

·
Registered
464 Posts
drove out to Grices in Clearfield today. found the gun i wanted but they said the background check could take up to 3 hours. i decided to put it on layaway and that gives me an excuse to go back in a month or 2. they were very busy. they had a lot of guns but were very limited on ammo. very little 22lr and no 9mm to be found.

·
Registered
464 Posts
dukes on 422 is a nice shop but they are getting slim and thier ammo prices are high. i tried to stop at logans gun gallery on 38 on the way to grices but they locked the door because they were so busy

·
Registered
1,069 Posts
Route 66 Sporting Goods in Clarion County has a one box limit on all handgun ammo, including 22LR.

I figured Grice would be swamped. I really hope things calm down. I got plenty of 9mm, but almost don't wanna go to the range and practice..cause I don't know when I'll be able to get some more without paying crazy prices.

Planning on getting a new deer rifle, but I'll wait till mid-summer.

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
One shop I was in the other day had $49.99 prices tags on their 22lr bricks. I told my son he better either get a job or we're done shooting. He blows thru a brick of shells in no time at the range on a normal day.

I was at Duke's a few nights ago and their handgun showcases are almost empty. Their long gun rack was about 1/2 full. I had never been there before, so really had nothing to compare it too.

Logan's is one of the busiest little gun shops Ive ever seen.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
Why do we sportsmen react this way each and every time anyone starts this gun confiscation talk.. we are the ones that cause the shortages..just look at what we did about 5 years ago with reloading primers..hoarding that we've never seen before and now we are falling for it only on a much larger scale. I often wonder who's smiling more than the manufacturers of all this equipment, good times in the shooting industry.

·
Registered
3,206 Posts
I know that the couple of shares I have of Ruger stock are at an all time high....

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Ill be up at the mills show before the doors open at 8am today. Now there may still be 200 people in front of me waiting to get in, haha. We'll see... kinda curious to see the madness 1st hand.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
I picked up a brick of Federal .22lr for $19.99 on Fri. Shop had most supplies but were low on primers. It is in Blair county.

·
Registered
1,680 Posts
Just got back from the gun show at the Mills Mall. Was there 15 minutes before it opened, waited 20 or so minutes to get in. There was no line at all when I left. Its pretty well picked over. As far as guns go, whats left is mostly overpriced and in poor condition.

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
Yes, prices are too high, you can't find what you want, etc. On the good side people are joining and supporting the NRA, gun shops, ammo Co's, and gun companies are making money which makes their Co. stronger and better able to support their business/political/customer interests, which many of them do. The panic and shortages are temporary, unfortunately the political fallout will last somewhat longer.

·
Registered
654 Posts
There is real reason to fear having your rights taken away. I moved to NY a couple years ago. With semi-auto legal for hunting here, I gave more thought to purchasing an AR15. After Newtown, I quickly realized I probably couldn't find one and would wait until things settled down. Now I wished I had tried because the NYS Legislature and Governor rammed through their feel good gun control laws and I can no longer purchase one. I figured the Republicans in the NY Senate would fight for my rights. Instead, they rolled over and gave them away.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
dasher, i totally agree with you. only ones smiling are the manufacturers and the sporting goods owners with all the money they are making.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I keep hoping that everyone will trade in their old levers and wheel guns to buy a new black rifle. It seems like everyone is hoarding everything...

1 - 20 of 20 Posts