The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
1,411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
in light of the recent theater shootings.....
when will people realize that guns were not the problem here. But rather a sick and demented mind void of love and compassion for a fellow human being...This type of behavior should come as no suprise to a society that...promotes violence on TV...promotes violence in the video games we play... that listens to gang rap and music with violent lyrics..raises up tough guy shoot em up hero's...where broken homes are becoming the normal....where mom and dad don't teach right from wrong...where there is rapidly declining moral standards...where its against the law to have bibles in school...but after they commit a crime and are in prison, you can take in all the bibles you want.....i'm getting tired of praying for victims after the fact....when will this country learn.

·
Registered
5,255 Posts
N It won't learn. Always looking for something to blame. A weapon, disease, drug, etc.
We'll hear this guy in co was abused, had adhd, on bath salts...........insert excuses here.

·
Registered
3,064 Posts
Heard that his mother, as soon as she heard there was a mass shooting in Aurora, knew it had to be her son. HELLO!!!!!!! We all owe it to ourselves and our communities, that if we know someone is mentally unstable, to seek them immediate help. BEFORE a tragedy, not after the fact.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Bingo. People have been killing each other long before there were guns, and if all guns were removed from the earth (obviously not advocating that)people would find ways to kill each other. As was said above, without guidance from parents, without some sort of moral standards (whether you belive in God or not)society will degenerate. When violence is promoted and glorified, people will gravitate toward it (or at a minimum be desensitized to it.)We also live in a society where life is de-valued. We kill unborn children by the millions and call it choice. So when something has no value, we have no problem choosing to kill it. That mindset extrapolates into the rest of society.

Am I grieved about these kinds of inicidents? The answer is an obvious "yes." Am I surprised? The answer is an equally obvious "no."

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
Yes guns are not the problem. But it takes common sence to realize this. Many very smart people lack it. Other times the people that want to blame guns for crime, want the guns banned so they can control people. Many times people who commit high rates of crime also want gun control also, as people that are armed are able to protect them selves. Many innercity people that have high crime rates, and blame guns for their problems also. When we are all willing to take responsibility for the actions of bad people, and quit blaming guns we will be farther ahead. Check out crime statistics and you will see that those who have the high rates usually blame guns. Look at the crime in Harrisburg, on the news you see people talking about murders and robberies in their neiborhood and usually they blame too many guns for their problems.

·
Registered
25,524 Posts
ABC News was so anxious to affix blame, that they found someone belonging to the Tea Party with the same name as the shooter and rushed it on the air that morning. Wrong guy, but indicative of how the media likes to take advantage of such tragedies to further their own agendas.

Someone goes off their meds and sets fire to their apartment building (that's happened in this area several times in the past few years), no big rush to outlaw matches or flammable liquids.

A nut job intentionally drives his car into a crowd of people, no rush to outlaw automobiles.

But any time some whackdoodle shoots numbers of innocents, there's an instantaneous cry from the media and their leftist patrons, to further restrict/ban the possession of firearms.

Those among us who are disturbed for any number of reasons, always seem to find a way to inflict chaos on innocent bystanders. Yet their privacy and rights are almost always more important, than the threat they may present to the rest of us who are minding our own business. Unaware that the oddball down the street may be planning to blow us away; Run over us; Or inflict harm by any means available, for "reasons" known only to them.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I wonder what connection there might be in the report that he was a neurological graduate student? Perhaps he was trying to find answers to a problem he knew he had?

Perhaps too we will find their were professionals that had assessed him as dangerous but allowed it to slide. This has happened before. Perhaps what they have learned, from the previous cases, is to cover their tracks, so as not to be blamed.

I beleive many people resort to this kind of violence as result of a feeling of alienation. The sense that no one really cares. Parents become afraid of their children early on. A fear they'll not be liked by the child. As the child grows the emotional abandonment sets in. "What can we do?" Society instinctively avoids what makes it uncomfortable and our fears separate us. The simple minded conclude that removing the weapons from everyone (treating gun owners like criminals)is a solution rather than more of the same ostracism that contributes to the problem.

It has be know for quite sometime that treating someone badly makes them eventually behave badly. There are other people at blame here! Allowing them to point the finger at law abiding gun owners is more a part of the problem than a cure. More than two thousand years ago bearing false witness was identified for what it is.

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
I do not know why a civilian needs tactical gear unless he is police or military??????? ALSO drum clips are NOT NEEDED for hunting or sporting purposes....He had several drum clips for his AR-15...Remember the 2 bank robbers in LA a few years ago who had AKs with drum clips were finally killed by police and left to die on the street..

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
burk313 said:
I do not know why a civilian needs tactical gear unless he is police or military??????? ALSO drum clips are NOT NEEDED for hunting or sporting purposes....He had several drum clips for his AR-15...Remember the 2 bank robbers in LA a few years ago who had AKs with drum clips were finally killed by police and left to die on the street..
tactial gear is not illegal,drums are not illegal (except maybe in NJ or California) I don't have any drums and turned in my tactial gear when I retired but who are you to decide if these should be made illegal (You didn't say that but that's what you intimated) Suppose they were made illegal then someone else decided no rifles in the Pittsburgh and Philladelphia area (oops they all ready did that) OK so no more rifles in the state of PA, just shotguns with 3 round capacity and no semi's. Then someone gets hurt with a shotgun so they decide no more shotguns, just rocks and clubs. No one needs to hunt anyway you can get all your meat at the grocery store already packaged, that way no animals were hurt/killed. Right ?

Yeah, I'm going to the extream here but you do realise there is always someone out there that would take something from you if they thought they could get away with it. What is the old quote about someone taking away some people but I wasn't one so I didn't say anything .... until they come for me and there wasn't anyone to speak for me ???

·
Registered
2,692 Posts
You may need tactical gear for your own protection someday. As far as drum clips, it may not be used much for sporting purposes but for protection I could see where these may be needed. Most gun control measures see little difference between one kind or another. You give an inch they will take a mile. If the gun control people have a problem with the second amendnent they should move to one of the many countries that have strict gun control, maybe Mexico and see if gun control stops crime.

·
Registered
1,696 Posts
saw this else where::IT'S IMPORTANT TO REMEMBER A LITTLE GUN HISTORY

In 1929, the Soviet Union established gun control. From 1929 to 1953, about 20 million dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
------------ --------- ---------

In 1911, Turkey established gun control. From 1915 to 1917, 1.5 million Armenians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Germany established gun control in 1938 and from 1939 to 1945, a total of 13 million Jews and others who were unable to defend themselves were rounded up and exterminated.

China established gun control in 1935. >From 1948 to 1952, 20 million political dissidents, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Guatemala established gun control in 1964. >From 1964 to 1981, 100,000 Mayan Indians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
---- ------------ - ------------ -

Uganda established gun control in 1970. >From 1971 to 1979, 300,000 Christians, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.

Cambodia established gun control in 1956. >From 1975 to 1977, one million educated people, unable to defend themselves, were rounded up and exterminated.
------------ --------- --------

Defenseless people rounded up and exterminated in the 20th Century because of gun control: 56 million.

You won't see this data on the US evening news,
or hear politicians disseminating this information.

Guns in the hands of honest sentients save lives and property
and, yes, gun-control laws adversely affect only the law-abiding citizens.

Take note my fellow Americans, before it's too late!

The next time someone talks in favor of gun control,
please remind them of this history lesson.

With guns, we are 'sentients'. Without them, we are 'subjects'.
During WW II the Japanese decided not to
invade America because they knew most Americans were ARMED!

If you value your freedom, please spread this
anti gun-control message to all of your friends.

The purpose of fighting is to win.
There is no possible victory in defense.

The sword is more important than the shield, and skill is more important
than either.

The final weapon is the brain.
All else is supplemental.

SWITZERLAND ISSUES EVERY HOUSEHOLD A GUN!

SWITZERLAND' S GOVERNMENT TRAINS EVERY ADULT THEY ISSUE A RIFLE.
SWITZERLAND HAS THE LOWEST GUN RELATED CRIME RATE OF ANY CIVILIZED COUNTRY
IN THE WORLD!!!

IT'S A NO BRAINER!
DON'T LET OUR GOVERNMENT WASTE MILLIONS OF TAX DOLLARS IN AN EFFORT TO
MAKE ALL LAW ABIDING CITIZENS AN EASY TARGET.

Firm believer in
the 2nd Amendment!

·
Super Moderator
4,598 Posts
I bought my 14 year old son a tactical rifle last Christmas.He didn't "need" it but it puts a big smile on his face.In America you don't have to need anything.You can want and own any legal item.You don't need a car,a bicycle will get you there.Cars just do it better and faster.

·
Registered
1,748 Posts
It was a bad thing that happened there but one thing that the press never says that if a few of the people that were being targeted would have been armed themselves a lot less people would have been killed. Only people who shouldn't be allowed to carry guns are criminals and mentaly unstable people. I think the government ought to issue a handgun to every US citizen when they reach 18, unless they have been convicted of a crime, train them how to use it, and make laws to protect them if they ever do need to use it. Our government is trying to make us a nation of victims that have to live in fear of doing anything- even going to the movies.

Think of this: A criminal may target even several people if he has a gun but if there is a good chance that those several people have a gun- he ain't gonna try anything. Criminals are cowards of the worst proportion they target the weak, the elderly, anyone they can outnumber or outpower and they usually have to also use a knife or gun for back-up. Yea sure are tough aren't they. Scumbags!

·
Registered
52,307 Posts
Chris Wallace on Fox News this AM had a brief rountable on the subject and oof four participants only one one was really anti gun, a female reporter. The others discussed it from a political point to a defense issue and discussed that polls indicate people are less and less against the banning of small arms

·
Registered
391 Posts
As has been hinted to in some other post here, the Second Amendment Right, in the Bill of Rights, considered as rights given by God, not the government, does not mean to say the people have a right to the tools used to hunt. It means the weapons by which you can defend yourself against the infringement of your rights as stated in the Bill of Rights. I know evryone here knows this but sometimes I think people forget, choose to ignore it, or as a anti Second Amendment Right propaganda tool attempt to blur the meaning. You actually have NO right to hunt! It is a privilage granted you by the state when you buy a hunting license. You can buy the gun to hunt as result of the Second Amendment.
What if the government decides camoflage should be illegal because they don't think people should sneek around? What if all body armour was required by law to be fluorescent orange? What if the government decided; no more movies with heros who wear masks and villians. What if the government decided the new media was so corupt and slanted that it amended the constitution eliminating Freedom of the Press? Hey that sounds good till you really think about it and realize that it that happend even more people would have no idea what is going on! I guess we have to take the good with the bad there too. I'll add that if you think the press never got anybody killed think again. Remember the Watts riots and the Los angeles 1992 riots? How do you think the rioters heard about those arrests?

·
Registered
1,998 Posts
burk313 said:

Uuummmm.....you really need to rethink this. Don't want to hijack the thread so this is my only comment. On a day to day basis, no you probably don't need "tactical gear". I'll site one example here for you to think about, but there are more. Natural disasters.Remember Katrina? Thousands of people on their own cut off from help. How about a few weeks ago down south, no phones, no electricity, police and other services can't get to you (trees across roads and phone lines) and you can't call them for a week or more. Can't charge your cell phone with no electricity, and mine rarely works at my house anyway.If that was me the guns would be out and the tactical gear on...I'll take the first watch. Oh wait a minute, that doesn't happen here only to other people, and besides no one would try to take advantage of others in such a situation....would they? Sarcasm aside, Nnnoooowwww let me sseeee, where did I put that Blackhawk catalog.

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
burk313 said:
Who said anything needs to be about hunting or sporting purposes????

Why do we need vehicles than can go over 55mph?? Why do we need crotch rockets that do 150+ mph? They certainly aren't needed, but anyone who wants one can go and buy one.

This is NOT about guns, it's about a sick individual who was bent on killing people. He set bombs and booby traps in his apartment!! He could have parked his vehicle at the exit door, blocking anyone from leaving, then set off molotov cocktails in the lobby, etc.

·
Registered
1,866 Posts
YES, I wonder if we haven't gone too far in what's available to be bought...tear gas??? 100 round clips for AR's ??? bullet proof vests??? body armor full length ??? 40 round clips for glocks ??? As a shooter and gun nut I really don't see any need for any of the above for the average Joe hunter and shooter. And let's not forget some of these video games that our kids are playing, talk about violence and death..I wonder if this nut didn't think he was playing a video game. And let's not forget about what's on-line on some of these anarchy sites, is there any real reason for anyone's need for some of this stuff..society itself is to blame for some of this stuff that's out there, freedom is wonderful but maybe we've gone too far on whats able to be bought out there.. Believe me I'm not a fan of any more gun control but I'm beginning to wonder if we should be able to buy some of this stuff ???? It's this kind of senseless stuff that brings all this gun control stuff up, no one was talking about it on Thursday and look what happened 24 hours later..I don't know what to think anymore.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts