The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This past weekend my dad brought home a gun that his father (my grandfather) had given him about 2 years ago. Well my grandfather passed away in May so he brought it home. The gun is a model 64 in .32 winchester special. The gun is in good condition and has been shot less than 20 times. Any idea how much this gun is worth? I am not interested in selling it I just want to know what it is worth.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Winchester 64's are worth some big time money if everything is in place. Can't give you a price but I'd check out some of the auction sights to get a "general" idea remembering that on those sights folk are mighty "proud" of their rifles so prices tend to run high. Pics would help. Am assuming a pre '64. Deluxe or standard? A lot to consider including the caliber.

Muab

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
i didnt even know they made a 64 in 32 special, is this a possible typo? if not I would bet its worth huge money

·
Banned
13,401 Posts
700varmint said:
i didnt even know they made a 64 in 32 special, is this a possible typo? if not I would bet its worth huge money

They made them. I passed one up at Cabelas several years ago for $375. I don't know why now.

·
Registered
889 Posts
Sorry, and I do apologize for being rude. But it is impossible to give any kind of value without at least a dozen detailed pictures of a firearm like this.

The value of a rifle like this is determined strictly by condition, and how close it is to original condition. Without detailed pictures it is 100% impossible to know these things.

I have seen many rifles like this over the years that looked unbelievably nice. Yet were worth no more than a regualr beater because the rifles had been altered. Or re-finished. So those details mut be known in order to value the firearm.

If you are wanting to get a good idea for insurance reasons then it would be best to have it appraised, and I am talking about a written appraiasal. If not then the insurance company will not pay any premium.

Again I am sorry, and don't want to rain on your post. But any number anyone gives you would be wrong without those pictures(at the minimum). Also a serial # would help.

And Moose Hunter is definitely correct. They were available in the 32 Winchester. I saw one the other day. The fellow wanted $1,000 for the rifle. I passed. But it would have been tough to pass on the one he saw for $375?? Tom.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
never too old to learn something new, the 32 must have been a odd caliber chambering since I have never seen or heard of them and I live on the gun auction sites. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It is the standard edition. It has a peep sight on it that came with it. It is all original.

·
Registered
25,518 Posts
Great looking rifles. Always wanted one, but they've appreciated in price to the point I'll probably never own one.

Some years ago a young feller showed up at our club range with one in 30-30 that was in mint condition. Literally. Zero wear anyplace, perfect wood/metal finish. He fired a few shots and plopped it on the bench, went downrange to check his target.

When he came back, another shooter and I chastised him for treating it so poorly. His wife's granny had given it to him, had been gramp's rifle. He had no idea of it's monetary value, until we told him.

·
Registered
5,102 Posts
The 64 is one of my favorites...Winchester named it the "Deer Rifle" for good reason...the collector community is well aware of it, too....it was offered in .219 Zipper, .25/35, .30/30 and .32 Special...

PA Dutch country is a good place to still find them as a lot of well-heeled people down that way bought them years ago for the upgraded features they offered over a plain-Jane 94....

To ramble a bit...unlike early 1894s which could be had with a host of special order features the Model 64 which debuted during the Depression was offered in Standard and Deluxe grades with 20 inch carbine and 24 inch rifle versions. The .219 Zipper came with only a 26" barrel. I have never seen a carbine Zipper. Deluxes featured quarter-sawn walnut and inletted swivel bases. All 64s wore pistol grips unlike their 94 cousins of the era which bore straight buttstocks, save for the extremely rare special orders.

Due to its comparatively late release and the timing of its production the 64 never appeared with upgraded wood, engraving, factory scopes, etc. Winchester's focus was on survival at that time, having recently changed ownership (Western Cartridge Company) as a result of the Depression, among other things. Production of the 64 stopped, IIRC, around 1956 or 1957. It was reintroduced in the early 1970s but those rifles bore the same poor quality of 94s of the same date with receivers quickly turning purple, for instance, and were poorly received.

Any 64 is a treasure, regardless of condition, IMO, and represents well the pride of workmanship and firearms manufacturing rarely seen today.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
Your gun is a treasure. I have appraised alot of them. If it is as new, factory peep, and genuine, it has considerable value. The .32 special was the second most common chambering, the 30-30 of course seeing the most production. An example that is well used still brings $600 to $1000. If yours has less than a box of shells down the tube its worth much more. Give a place of honor in your collection, I would not sell it. PS The 64 was hand assembled, each part filed, honed, and trued to work flawlessly. The production 94 was sent down the line in tolerances, but did not get that attention. A period 94 cost about $40, a 64 was about $100, big money for the times.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
ok, now I am really confused. is this a bolt action or a lever action? wasnt the model 64 winchester a bolt and 94 a lever? someone please clairify.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
yes that is class, and this was also a model 64?

one of those would look great over a mantle or on a deer drive.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
700varmint said:
never too old to learn something new, the 32 must have been a odd caliber chambering since I have never seen or heard of them and I live on the gun auction sites.
You may heave to look for them but they are not rare.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Big Ken said:
700varmint said:
never too old to learn something new, the 32 must have been a odd caliber chambering since I have never seen or heard of them and I live on the gun auction sites.
You may heave to look for them but they are not rare.
Ammo is not that hard to find either Big Ken has a lot of it. I remember when he posted a picture of all his .32 WS ammo up on this site.

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
Here's the problem...A box of 30/30's will run you about $15 or so...A box of 32 Special ammo will run you about $24...And you won't find two cartridges more alike.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts