The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6,402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering how everyone stores their rifle.That is with the firing pin released or cocked?

·
Registered
432 Posts
firing pins released, bolts and other actions closed. those are the guns you can see. (i have no children to worry about play with the guns.) concealed weapons, find out by comming into my place unannounced and find out

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have been meaning to get a snapcap for my rifle, I have them for my shotguns to release the tension when I put them away. I also empty my detachable magazines each time I am done huntig.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Most of mine are - firing pin released

Just use an empty cartridge
as long as firing pin has something to hit should be OK

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My dad always told me to pull and hold the trigger as you close the bolt and that releases all the pressure on the firing pin.

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
i keep them bolts open and pumps open (means all springs are loaded). My m700 is 46 years old, no problem. Modern springs don't die like they did in the 1930s. Even with the firing pins dropped, the springs are under a lot of load. So it really doesn't matter. Just what ever you like. muzzle down is also a good idea!

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Modern firearms are to be made so that dry firing is not to hurt the firing pin. I always store mine with no tension on the spring.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
Harrysigafoo said:
i keep them bolts open and pumps open (means all springs are loaded). My m700 is 46 years old, no problem. Modern springs don't die like they did in the 1930s. Even with the firing pins dropped, the springs are under a lot of load. So it really doesn't matter. Just what ever you like. muzzle down is also a good idea!
Couldn't agree more.

Most of my rifles are shot on a regular basis so the firing pin gets a good workout.

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
I have been meaning to get a snapcap for my rifle, I have them for my shotguns to release the tension when I put them away. I also empty my detachable magazines each time I am done huntig.
Just hold the trigger in as you close the bolt, or lever, and it will drop the firing pin nice and slow.........

really you can dry fire a centerfire all day long......the firing pin hits empty air......

what you have to watch is a rimfire, because the firing pin will actually hit the barrel, and chip

·
Registered
3,558 Posts
As far as spring tension is concerned it makes no difference. Springs do not wear out or lose their properties from being compressed for a long period of time, they get worn out from being compressed and released repeatedly or worked beyond their yeild point. That's true of any type spring, leaf, torsion, coil, material it made of and etc.

So, as far as storage is concerend do what you like or are comfortable with. The spring itself won't care one way or the other.

Bill

1 - 12 of 12 Posts