The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was in the area so I stopped at a Gun Shop in Newville today. Thay have a beautiful display of rifles, but what gives with the prices? His rifles seem to be priced hundreds more than other places. 7600, 35 Whelen for $995, one example. I know they need to make a profit, but hundreds more?

·
Registered
12,790 Posts
Re: Shumans

I agree with you. Some gun shops are way out of touch with prices. On a whole, I feel new gun prices are way out of line everywhere. I don`t know if I will ever buy a new gun again unless prices go down. It`s ridiculous. Now some will say some have good prices and this and that and they are right, but they are usually talking about the bottom end Savages and the like. I don`t want an all black gun with a plastic stock. I like walnut and blued like the Remington 700 BDL and they are prices way out of sight now. Sometimes you can get a Ruger M77 Hawkeye for a decent price, but rarely. Sorry for the rant.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts

He deals in specialty and rare guns mostly

·
Registered
6,416 Posts

Been there a couple times myself.

He caters to a certain clientele. From what I've been told, Hank Williams Jr. used to or still does visit there a time or two a year to add to his collection. A guy looking for a used Mossberg 500 or a Rossi 3-barrel combo are going to be disappointed.

I actually drove 3 hours to purchase a specific gun from him. It was exactly as promised and I paid a fair price for a rare piece.

I would shop there again.....no qualms.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts

He had at one time, Clark Gables Parker shotgun in his shop.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts

i see his ads in gun digest and he has some really, really nice and rare guns for my tastes. he always wants top dollar though. i am going to take a road trip one of these days and check him out. some shops are like that. he must do ok or he would be out of business by now.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts

He is one of the few places left where you can step back in time and buy NIB guns that are 40,50,or 60 years old. He's a nice guy, but you pay for the type of inventory he carries. He has sold many famous persons guns, and original rarities. If he had a 7600 35 Whelen, it was probably new or as new, which you can't buy too may places today. About 10 years ago he was after a huge Winchester collection in Wisconsin, and the owner turned down his 500 thousand dollar offer. Its a different ball game, high end guns.

G

·
0 Posts
Maybe this guy would take offers...wouldn't hurt to try. Things are just so hard in this lousy economy now that I shoot mostly .22's now and my recurve.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts

Yep. I seen a guy drop 2gs on a colt and not even bat a eye. Just like some people buy their coffee. Didnt even phase him.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts
He must have a market or he wouldnt be there. I stopped at a shop in Beford Pa, Cove Creek Outfitters and was totaly knocked out. This shop stock not one but many Christensons, Coopers, and high end shot guns. Along with Schmidt Bender, Swaro, Zeiss, scopes and bincs. I couldnt imagine that area supporting a shop like that but they been there for some time.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have visited the shop on various occasions. He usually has a great selection of rifels, most are the higher end of older rifles. I stop there every so often to see if there is any thing I cannot live without. I have a short list that I am looking for and he is one of the better shops to shop in.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts