The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
868 Posts
I encased mine in the basement tucked in the space under the stairwell. It sits on pressure treated lumber and weighs nearly 800#. i didn't feel the need to anchor it since it would be quite a chore to gain access.

Mark

·
Registered
957 Posts
good ole boy said:
On a cement baement floor.Average size say 400#.
That's a tough call! I would hate to drill into the basement floor for fear of water penetration. At 400 lbs. maybe you could put it on a base, attach it to the base and secure the base to the floor?
Hopefully my safe at 1200 lbs. is not going anywhere!

·
Banned
24,445 Posts
I suggest sitting safe on 2"X 6"'s on minimum of 6" of concrete floor. Then lag bolt safe with lead sleeves to concrete floor. Will help deter theives from flipping safe on back which makes them most vulnerable for penetration.. Nothing is totally foolproof but this will slow them down till you can be afforded an oportunity to offer a friendly greeting if in the area.

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thats what I was thinkin.How do you think it would work with using an super adhesive on the 2x6,s like Liquid Nails to hold them down to the concrete?

·
Registered
813 Posts
Gentleman lets be true but realistic here do you really think a thief is going to try to even mess with it other then trying to crowbar the thing open? first off the bottom is always the weekest spot on a safe 2nd American security and liberty safe and champion reps told me no robber ever trys to do anthing to a safe other then crowbar it open and always fails. he isnt bringing cutting torches in to your house to cut the bottom off. and certainly isnt going to spend more then a few min or if any trying to get into it. mine weighs 1000 and sits right in my living room on the shipping pallet. (because i like it sitting up a tad higher) If you can get it out in 5hrs with 2 guys then you can have it with all the guns. Good ole boy just set it on the floor you are perfectly fine. unless you want to lag it then thats totally up to you man. im just giveing you mine opinion.

·
Registered
9,725 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks.Another reason I wanted to fasten it down was that in the manual that came with the safe said that crooks like to knock em over also just for kicks.That would trash the guns inside bangin into each other when it came crashin down.Now yours is another story cause I don,t even see King Kong knockin yours over.Didn,t you have to really reinforce your floor?

·
Registered
813 Posts
hahah yeah thats true someone might try to knock it over just to ruin it. No i didnt reinforce the floor, i got standerd 2x10 floor joice and 1000lbs is nothing for standard 16 center floor joice. heck you get 3 300lb people standing in one spot you have almost 1000 believe me i got a few in the family lol

·
Registered
242 Posts
To all that put your safes in the basement. I spent a lot of years as a FD Chief. I've seen two sceneros too many times....first, the building burns to the ground and the basement is so hot the concrete is exploding...second, in the attempt to put the fire out the basement is filled with water. Not the best conditions for a safe or your guns. Just something to think about.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Truth is if some one wants it they get it. Most knowledgeable lock guys are in a gun safe in a few minutes. They just keep the "common" criminal from getting them. As for fire. These "fire rated" safes hold up for a while but if your house is a fully developed structure fire it only makes a nice oven for your guns. The will help protect from heat for a while if then FD is there and get the flames out fast. I personally keep my safe on my main floor of a ranch house. Ie always been more worried about flooding in my basement than I was for fire.

Which brings me to a good question. I carry a separate rider on my insurance for my guns. I wonder if flooding is included in that. Flooding is not covered in most policies. Just something to think about if your using the basement.

I did place an extra "jack" in my basement to lessen strain in my floor under my safe.

·
Registered
3,095 Posts
Biggie said:
Here is a very informative video on safes. It's a good 30 min. long, but worth watching IMO. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltK-bDbADa8
Yeah, was gonna post this too - just saw it last week, and they have a lot of good points. This pix of safes that were cut into, pried on, burned and wheeled out the door with a cart will get your attention. If you can wheel it in, they can wheel it out faster - they're not worried about your walls or scratching the safe. If they can't do it fast, they will knock it over just to get back at you and do some damage. Bolt it fast in a place that is outta site, hidden if possible, buy the best you can get and research them thoroughly. A dry, heated, non-basement, concreted floor area would probably be best, with proper dehumidification.

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
steelstalker said:
As for fire. These "fire rated" safes hold up for a while but if your house is a fully developed structure fire it only makes a nice oven for your guns. The will help protect from heat for a while if then FD is there and get the flames out fast.
This was what I was going to post after Chiefs comment. I have run volly for quite a few years, and have seen very few times where the guns made it out of a "fire-proof" safe in usable condition.

And on a side note...who really wants to be the one to put rounds down the barrel after the gun has gone through a fire? Not my idea of a good time...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts