The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old wooded style gun case with the glass front on it. I have this located in my basement. Right now I have one of those rechargeable chemical dehumidifiers in it, but I have to constantly recharge it. I was thinking about going to one of the Electric Dehumidifiers, but wasn't sure if it would be safe to operate an Electric Dehumidifier in a wood framed case. I don't know how much heat they really generate???

Anyone using one in a wood gun case? Is it safe?

·
Registered
11,392 Posts
I have two and they are hot to the touch. One is very hot.

They work in the safes because the safes are sealed pretty tight. A wood cabinet is not tight and I doubt they would be very effective.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
I have a golden rod in my safe and also use a small plug in dehumidifier. I would use a household dehumidifier in your case.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
A suggestion.Get a large, for gun safes, Inhibitor Plug & put it in the cabinet, change it once a year. Emits a chemical that prevents rust on everything. Run a dehumidifier in the room in the summer or all year if basement is not heated. If it is heated, don't need it in winter. Do a web search for "inhibitor rust preventative"

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well, I went a head and did an experiment. I bought an 18-inch Gun Saver Rod made by Golden Rod. Bought it off Midway USA for $14.99 (plus shipping). So, it's been in my woode cabinet for a month now. I recharged my desicant dehumidifier when I installed the Gun Saver Rod to see how well the new Gun Saver Rod works. So far I've only need to recharge the Desicant ONE TIME in 30 days! I had been recharging it 4-6 times per month.

I'm happy and sold on the Gun Saver Rod!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts