The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a little bit of rust that keeps coming back on a Mossberg 500. It's located on the chrome shell elevator. I've taken it apart and used some solvent and oil to clean it a few times, but it keeps coming back. Any suggestions on how to seal it once I get it clean? It's just a few spots and not very visible so I'd rather just do it myself.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,124 Posts
Forget the oil and use gun grease but make sure all the rust is gone first..You should take the gun apart to do the best job..

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
Is that chrome or stainless?

If chrome, use a car chrome cleaner/wax. Ofcourse cleaning solvet will take the wax/oil/grease off everytime you wipe it down. And as you know the shell will scrape of everything when you push the case rim in.

I've foound Mossbergs to be extremely rust prone. I finially spray painted the barrel on my Mossberg duck gun. The steel is just soft stuff that rust right thru the blueing.

·
Registered
746 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
pretty sure it's chrome or it wouldn't rust like it did. When I take out the shell elevator it appears to have a rough coat of black paint... the bottom of which is chromed.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts