The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin and i are gonna try to start reloading hopefully this spring, and my grandfather has almost all the stuff, but he has some gun powder thats probably 30 years old when my uncle quit reloading, i dont know if that powder would even be safe to use or is there a time limit the powder has to be used by. Any info on it would be greatly appreciated. thanks

·
Registered
7,781 Posts
As long as it's been sealed properly it should be good..I was reading about some guys using leftover powder from WWII once.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I got a 15 lb keg a couple years ago of h4831 from the Koren war, and use that for all my mag type loads. Shoots great and.... it was free!!!!

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Shake a little from the can, if some of the kernels are discolored,or slightly gray, its probably no good. Also, it should have a slight carbon like smell. Problem with old powder that has deteriorated is that it has possibly lost its potency. Not dangerous, only that it may not perform very well. Powder should always be stored in a cool dry environment.

·
Registered
146 Posts
it should smell like eather, if it smells acidic its no good, if it has the eather like sweet solvent smell its fine.
RR

·
Registered
373 Posts
Has it been stored where it got hot?Heat is harder on powder than age.Dump it all out into a flat container if there is any kind of rusty looking dust or residue left in the container its bad.What powder is it I have read that double base powders go bad sooner than single base

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
customreloading said:
I got a 15 lb keg a couple years ago of h4831 from the Koren war, and use that for all my mag type loads. Shoots great and.... it was free!!!!
I have some H-4831 that was made during WW II and it is still fine.

·
Registered
983 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
wild willy said:
Has it been stored where it got hot?Heat is harder on powder than age.Dump it all out into a flat container if there is any kind of rusty looking dust or residue left in the container its bad.What powder is it I have read that double base powders go bad sooner than single base
It was stored in our loading bench in my grandfathers attic so it goes from hot in the summer to cold in the winter. I know some of its winchester but thats about all i know, i havent really looked at the powder, because i didnt know if i could use it or not. ill have to do the container test and see what happens.

·
Registered
10,666 Posts
If it is black with no tint it is probably good. If it has a red or rust colored tint it is beginning to deteriorate.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Stored thirty years in an attic would surprise me if its any good.Don't just throw it away put it on your yard or garden its good fertilizer

1 - 14 of 14 Posts