The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
25,479 Posts
Cost may be more, as it still varies from one sheriff to the next. There was another move in the legislature this year, to make all sheriffs' departments conform to the same procedures and fees. Haven't heard much about it lately?

They will do a background check, which also varies a bit, both in scope and in the time it takes for them to get back to you, to procede with the application and approval. Most now issue "photo ID cards" for the LTCF. Our sheriff has always issued them with a photo, plus they're laminated.

Best wishes.

·
Registered
25,479 Posts
We have a "new" sheriff in Cumberland County and my current permit was issued under the former one (Tom Kline), so don't know if anything has changed, or not?

Court House in Carlisle is fairly easy to find a parking space near, on one of the surrounding streets. They can take your picture at the counter, where you get the application. Think my last one was around $30 or $35, picture included?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Pa-Plinker said:
stack e'm high said:
if you have a carry premint its not good for your hunting hand guns when you hunting they told me
A valid License to Carry Firearms eliminates the need for a Sportsman's Permit.
This is what I was told also. I have a PA Non-resident carry permit.

·
Super Moderator
4,562 Posts
When you fill out the application it asks for self defense,hunting/fishing,employment,target shooting,gun collecting and other as options for the license.That pretty much sums it up that it is good for hunting.

·
Registered
335 Posts
I'm confused here because of the wording of the question.

You can carry any rifle or shotgun without a permit.

You only need a permit to carry a pistol.

Then there is the difference between a sportsman's permit which only allows you to carry the pistol hunting and to and from a shooting range etc.

With that permit you are not allowed to carry the pistol loaded in the vehicle. With a protection permit - you can carry your pistol, any time, any place, anywhere.

Either or - the Sportsman's permit in my opinion is a big joke because all it is - is a way for the state to tax a law abiding person who wants to shoot their pistol.

If you have a hunting license and do not carry the pistol loaded in your vehicle, it should still be legal to carry it, without the permit.
As long as you are going to or from a pistol shooting range or to or from a gun shop to have repairs made - you don't have to have a permit.

Anyone who is on active duty with the US Armed Forces does not need a pistol permit.

A person does not need a permit to hunt with or transport a rifle or shotgun. A rifle or shotgun is a firearm.

The only thing I will add is that the application process to apply for a permit by mail is in its last year. Every county by the end of the year will have a photo license center and will require a person to submit their application in person to receive a permit. It requires 3personal references, a back ground check and having your picture taken.
Some counties the permit was only good for 4 years and other counties the permit is good for 5.
I do not believe that you have to live in the county where you apply for the permit. You can get one at any county seat and the sheriff's office.

·
Registered
329 Posts
It used to be that it had to be issues in county of residence.I haven't heard that has changed.I lived in Wyomissing and had the police at my home once for an attempted burglery and the officer told me that I needed to change my permit to Berks Co from Centre.
I also had a tough time in Monroe county.They took so long that my license experird so I had to go through the entire process again.Long story short, Monroe sherrif at the time did everything he could to keep anyone from getting a permit.I persisted and one day while driving past the Sheriff's office a fire broke out on a car.I sstopped and put it out.The sheriff was with me.i used my own fire extinguisher from my offroad vehicle.
I got the permit a week later.
Now I live in Lancaster.They have instant.I got mine in a few minutes.
It superceeds a sportman's permit.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
You have to understand that while long guns are firearms, the fefinition of "firearms not to be carried without a permit" in the PA uniform firearms act does not include long guns. When you deal with a law you have to use the definitions prescribed in the law. The license to carry allows you to carry a handgun concealed on your person and loaded and concealed in a vehicle. The sportsmans permit is simply a permit, not a license and it is only valid for specific purposes, hunting and fishing and if you have one it allows you to transport a handgun in your vehicle under the exceptions of firearms not to be carried without a license.

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
John nailed it, The sportsmens permit is specific to carrying and transporting a handgun while hunting. fishing & dog training.

It is also issued to any one over 18 while you have to be 21 to get your License to Carry. All you need to do is go to the county treasurer w/ your hunting license, fill out the form and pay & you walk out with it. No PICTS check, references, background investigation, etc.

Transporting your handgun to go hunting is not covered under the exceptions for transporting a handgun without a License to Carry.

The permit is a stopgap item that lets you carry a handgun places you couldn't w/ out a license. Under the state exceptions, I can transport a handgun from home to camp [vacation home] and since 'open carry' is not illegal; I can carry the exposed handgun hunting out of the camp on foot.

If I want to drive to another hunting spot, I need either a License to Carry -or- the spotsmens permit since driving to hunt is NOT one of the exceptions.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts