Associated Links

House Bill 517
House Bill 518
House Bill 519
House Bill 520
House Bill 521
House Bill 522

HARRISBURG, Pa. (WHTM) -

A Democratic lawmaker from Philadelphia has unveiled legislation that would ban most Pennsylvanians from owning military-style weapons and return the duty to retreat to the state's Castle Doctrine.

The package of bills announced Wednesday by Rep. Ronald G. Waters, D-Philadalphia/Delaware, would also create stiffer penalties for carrying a firearm without a license and require those with permits to carry to purchase firearm liability insurance.

House Bill 517 would prohibit the possession, use and sale of assault weapons, except for law enforcement and active duty and reserve military.

House Bill 518 would amend the state's Castle Doctrine so that the use of deadly force would not be permitted for the protection of lives, safety or property when the gun owner is able to retreat or has been instructed not to pursue by police or public safety officials.

House Bill 519 would make it illegal to sell, transfer or deliver a firearm to someone other than a licensed firearm dealer unless the person purchases or is provided with a safety lock for the gun.

House Bill 520 would impose a mandatory two-year prison sentence for a person convicted of carrying a firearm without a license, while House Bill 521 would require Pennsylvanians to obtain firearm liability insurance if they possess a license to carry a gun.

House Bill 522 would require neighborhood watch groups to register with the state attorney general's office and attend public safety training provided by state police. Groups would be granted immunity from civil liability if they are registered with the state.

http://www.abc27.com/story/20981106/pa-lawmaker-calls-for-new-gun-controls

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
pa is looking into maken all gun owners buy an ins. policy for there guns but its not for replacement its for ( gun crimes I think ) it was just on fox news and 5 other eastern states doing the same

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Where is the bill that punishes, really punishes someone convicted of a crime while using a firearm? One would think that a 30 year sentance would be a good deterant and not violate the rights of law abiding citizens.

·
Registered
3,224 Posts
Obama is looking into a National gun Insurance program...If you own a gun you gotta buy it...The premiums will force you to sell all your guns..If you own a black rifle the premiums will be huge...Get used to it Obama is after your guns NOW...

·
Registered
699 Posts
The first step in to a back door to gun registration in my eyes. This is how the anti's play the shell game. Somewhere, somehow, they want a list of what you own and now to pay a premium for that right.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
valkrider88 said:
The first step in to a back door to gun registration in my eyes. This is how the anti's play the shell game. Somewhere, somehow, they want a list of what you own and now to pay a premium for that right.
BINGO WE HAVE A WINNER

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Why do these people from Philly think that they can speak for the rest of the state? Can we seriously just remove that part of the state from Pa????? It really wouldn't be a bad state, if these people from Philly would stop forcing their views, and their political stances, and policies on the rest of the state.........

Philly is equal to roughly 1.5% of the state area wise, yet they have more clout than anywhere else in the state because they have more people. Obviously the issues that apply to life in Philly do not even resemble the issues that abound out here in podunk, rural Pa........

I am sick and tired of Philly, and most of the people that live in the God awful place........

·
Registered
21,440 Posts
I sell insurance and I've never heard of firearms liabilty insurance.Your homeowners insurance would cover an accident due to a firearm.Fortunately accidents are rare.I highly doubt that criminals would purchase insurance so they're covered for their next school massacre.

I was on a committee that oversaw a controlled archery hunt in a private residential committee.The one brain child on the board of directors who opposed the hunt wanted every hunter to buy a 3 million dollar umbrella policy.His thinking was obviously that nobody would want to hunt if it cost them a few hundred dollars for insurance.I told him it sounded like such a good idea that every person that drove a car in the community would also have to buy it because they were far more likely to get in wreck on the way home from that meeting than get shot with an arrow.Friggin morans?Do they even realize that the only people being protected would be the gun owners.It wouldn't do Jack squat for the average citizen.It's a dumb proposal and it would never pass.

·
Registered
2,132 Posts
I have a question . The 2nd Amendment says ( Shall not be infringed ) . Would'nt making owners get large insurance policies be an infringment on our Rights ? Therefore making it an Unconstitutional law ?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
We are all not antigun Democrats here in Philadephia, I was born ,raised, live & work here in the city & Iam as progun,2nd amendment defending as anyone from any other part of Pa., & I know a lot of people from the city that feel the exact same way as I do. Yes the politicians from here are mostly liberals bent on ending gun rights. But don't through all of us to the wolves I am proud of being a Pennsylvanian, an avid hunter & a gun owning American.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
Mike M. said:
We are all not antigun Democrats here in Philadephia, I was born ,raised, live & work here in the city & Iam as progun,2nd amendment defending as anyone from any other part of Pa., & I know a lot of people from the city that feel the exact same way as I do. Yes the politicians from here are mostly liberals bent on ending gun rights. But don't through all of us to the wolves I am proud of being a Pennsylvanian, an avid hunter & a gun owning American.
I don't disagree, but you are the overwhelming minority............a lot more bad comes out of that city, than good for the rest of the state......

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I woudn,t say overwhelming minority, but yes a minority. Bad from our politicians, yes bad legal bills but remember the Philadephia politicians can't pass any of these bills on thier own. If any of these bills are successful support would have to come,from legislators & Senators in areas other then Philadelphia.

·
Registered
3,229 Posts
Look at house bill 518 regarding castle doctrine, I guess in their eyes you shoul run like a coward and get shot or stabbed in the back. I guess the criminals need protection from being shot by the victim. Why not just drop into the fetal position, thumb in mouth and let the criminal rob, rape, beat or kill you or anything else they feel like doing. Common sense is lacking from these cowardly lawmakers.

·
Registered
24,065 Posts
bpottorff said:
Look at house bill 518 regarding castle doctrine, I guess in their eyes you shoul run like a coward and get shot or stabbed in the back. I guess the criminals need protection from being shot by the victim. Why not just drop into the fetal position, thumb in mouth and let the criminal rob, rape, beat or kill you or anything else they feel like doing. Common sense is lacking from these cowardly lawmakers.

if you have the chance just walk away,slowly and while still facing the threat say in a loud voice, yell if you have to but say" I DONT WANT ANY TROUBLE, SOMEONE CALL THE POLICE" and while going for your weapon..FAST.... that way if the threat advances on you and you have to shoot, there might be witnesses who can help you.

i once read that if you carry a firearm you should be prepared to use it, also have a $20.00 dollar bill wrapped around something heavy like a book of matches, with the "20" showing on both sides that way when someone threatens to rob you just toss the "20" towards them, that way no matter how it lands they will be able to see the "20"

when they look at the "20" you should have your weapon in your hand and once again walk away while facing the threat and say I DONT WANT ANY TROUBLE" at this point if they advance on you, you know you have a real problem.
if they pick up the "20" and walk away, just get out of there fast...forget the "20" it cost less than a lawyer.
or use a one sided photo copy...whats the crook gonna do...call the cops.

·
Registered
5,884 Posts
bohunr said:
bpottorff said:

if you have the chance just walk away,slowly and while still facing the threat say in a loud voice, yell if you have to but say" I DONT WANT ANY TROUBLE, SOMEONE CALL THE POLICE" and while going for your weapon..FAST.... that way if the threat advances on you and you have to shoot, there might be witnesses who can help you.

i once read that if you carry a firearm you should be prepared to use it, also have a $20.00 dollar bill wrapped around something heavy like a book of matches, with the "20" showing on both sides that way when someone threatens to rob you just toss the "20" towards them, that way no matter how it lands they will be able to see the "20"

when they look at the "20" you should have your weapon in your hand and once again walk away while facing the threat and say I DONT WANT ANY TROUBLE" at this point if they advance on you, you know you have a real problem.
if they pick up the "20" and walk away, just get out of there fast...forget the "20" it cost less than a lawyer.
or use a one sided photo copy...whats the crook gonna do...call the cops.
But the point is, you shouldn't have to do things like that........if someone is actually threatening you, you should be able to engage them with deadly force..........I can tell you one thing, if I wake up in the middle of the night, and someone is in my house who isn't supposed to be, I am not cowering in the closet, and waiting 40 minutes for the PSP to show up...........

·
Banned
16,019 Posts
The whole point of this is to price most everyone out of owning firearms. They know that directly attacking the 2nd amendment is a big no-no, so they will just dance around it and drive up the cost of owning firearms and purchasing ammo and making it a real pain to own a gun.

They want every gun you own to be registered every year. Something like $200 a gun is what I have heard.

They want everyone who wishes to purchase a gun to have "more stringent" background checks, register all your guns, and get fingerprinted. What exactly does this mean and how much more will it cost for the process?

They want background checks on those who wish to purchase ammo, thus driving up the cost of that as well.

The goal here for them is to make it so ridiculously expensive and a hassle to own firearms that most people will just say forget about it because they can't afford it or don't want to go through the hassle.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
Mike M. said:
I hate to break it to ya, but The Regime won 108% of the vote in some parts of Philly, and not one vote for Romney in some precincts. Philly, Luzerne and Lackawanna Counties, and Pitts metro is what carried the state for The Regime. There's a lot of low information voters, I call them "gov't benefit enthusiasts" in those areas. You may be one of the few, but Philly and I aren't friends.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts