The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have always had traditional blued steel guns in the past. I've been lookin into a new shotgun, and found a remington express I really like. It fits my needs for a shotgun to a T.

Anyway I have a concern over the finish. Is the matt finish on todays firearms durable? I mean if I get a good character mark can I tough it up if need be?

The rough texture to me seems like it could hold moisture, and cause rust.

With traditional blued steel if a bit of rust creeps up you can usually get rid of it with steel wool. What could be done with a matte finish?

Any input on the "other" finishes would be appriciated. I'm no expert, but some matte finishes seem like a add on over the steel barrel.

I'm not worried it will get some marks. To me a shotgun without some marks tells me as much as seeing a pickup truck without any marks. I'm more concerned that if I do get some marks it will shorten the life of the gun.

·
Super Moderator
12,799 Posts
matte does seem to rust a bit...but, its almost un-noticable..

i just notice that when i run a clean white patch with oil on it, it comes off a rust color sometimes...

but, in the same sense, matte finishes kinda "hold" oil..

just make sure you dry it good and oil it good after a rainy day...alot of guys fail to let their weapons dry prior to oiling...i wipe them down with a dry towel and then let them air dry..then oil them good..

it takes a heavy blow to scratch matte..

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I have never had a problem with a blued gun. I don't like the mat or parkerized fnishes. When the PGC got their 870 police style shotgund they came with a parkerized finish. There was a serious problem with rust that I have never seen that kind of rusting with a blued finish even on guns used on salt water. Moisture just seemed to collect in the nooks and cranies on those guns.

·
Registered
6,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's my concern John. With my style of hunting I really don't want a wingmaster. Too nice of a finish. While I don't abuse my guns, I don't go out of my why to not mark up the finish either.

Where my guns are stored it stays very dry. I have never had a problem with rust. I don't want to have to remember to take it out once a month to oil it to keep it from rusting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts