The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a little help.. A friend of mine gave me a shot gun that he purchased new about 2 years ago. Do I need to register it in my name? How does a transaction like that work? What do I need to do to?

I approciate the help!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,406 Posts
I don't believe that you don't need to do anything. Transfers only apply to certain firearms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,541 Posts
Long guns and shotguns do not need to be registered, only a handgun needs transferrer until the liberals get their way.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
728 Posts
I was wondering this myself. My grandfather passed away years ago and I inheritted two pistols from him. Someone told me I did not have to do anything since he passed away as long as the pistols are not stolen which they are not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,121 Posts
Hooked, you do not have to do anything. PA does not require a transfer between two residents for rifles or shotguns.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24,796 Posts
As long as you are both residents of PA (or the same state) no paperwork is required for transfer of long guns. All handguns need a FFL and the background check. Blackpowder pistols are the exception.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the information. This will make the process much easier, considering I'm working on getting my girlfriends gun back from her ex boyfriend..
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,407 Posts
Bluetick said:
As long as you are both residents of PA (or the same state) no paperwork is required for transfer of long guns. All handguns need a FFL and the background check. Blackpowder pistols are the exception.
Actually, I just read the law again the other day and if I'm comprehending correctly, parent or grandparent to adult offspring and bequeaths, pistols inluded, are exempt from NICS so long as the recieving party can legally own the firearm.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,369 Posts
btbowhunter56 said:
Bluetick said:
As long as you are both residents of PA (or the same state) no paperwork is required for transfer of long guns. All handguns need a FFL and the background check. Blackpowder pistols are the exception.
Actually, I just read the law again the other day and if I'm comprehending correctly, parent or grandparent to adult offspring and bequeaths, pistols inluded, are exempt from NICS so long as the recieving party can legally own the firearm.
EXACTLY how it is for right now, but when Barry gets his way, that will no longer be allowed to be done!
Grandparents and Parents, there does not need to be paperwork done!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,407 Posts
I also noticed something else. When it mentions bequests or inheritances seperately, I could not see anything requiring that there be a family tie for it to be exempt. I would imagine it would have to be specifically spelled out in a will so that scenario seems unlikely but it seems that's how the law is written.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,170 Posts
btbowhunter56 said:
I also noticed something else. When it mentions bequests or inheritances seperately, I could not see anything requiring that there be a family tie for it to be exempt. I would imagine it would have to be specifically spelled out in a will so that scenario seems unlikely but it seems that's how the law is written.
That is because the federal laws allow interstate transfer of inherited weapons when named in the will. No FFL transfer required and unloaded interstate transport is allowed.

This does NOT apply if the receiving party is NOT named in the will.

If your Grandmother in NJ decides to give you Grandfather's gun collection without it being a bequest, then a FFL is required.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,126 Posts
So if PA does not have a gun registration law. And since they don't and can't tell what guns you own and you friend/neighbor/cousin/uncle, etc already owns several guns/handguns and is allowed to own guns in PA
Why would you need or want to spend the money a FFL charges to have their "background" check done.
If I can sell a long gun to a PA resident with out paper work. Why not a handgun. Especially if I know the person.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,721 Posts
Good question slabs,and why is BP rifles excempt?I know if I would have a circumstance like wis bang just posted I would just throw it in my car and screw the FFL.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Suppose to be getting the gun tonight.. We are changing the name on it. Cost will be 30 bucks. Just happy to get the gun back for her.
Thanks for your help!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,397 Posts
There is no "registry" in PA. In fact, by law it would be illegal to maintain any type of registry in PA.

However, law enforcement often use the data base of transfers as a "registry". You will often hear then run a handgun's serial number to see who it it "registered" to.

You will also hear then illegally seize a firearm because 1) it did not come back to the person, or 2) because it did not show up in the data base (illegal registry).

The data base will show any handgun that you bought or transferred to yourself in PA. While it will not show your rifles or shotguns, they can run your name and find out how many handguns you bought or transferred. Sounds like a registry to me!

But, since the courts have ruled that because the data base does not include long guns, or require you to "register" firearms brought in PA should you move here, it is only a data base and not a registry.

As to why no need for paper work between residents of PA for long guns, but a transfer is needed for handguns.....well, must be something about those evil handguns!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11,357 Posts
HOOKEDonARCHERY said:
Suppose to be getting the gun tonight.. We are changing the name on it. Cost will be 30 bucks. Just happy to get the gun back for her.
Thanks for your help!
sounds to me like you are being taken for $30. There is no registry in PA on long guns!!!!! What you are doing is giving someone $30 to fill out paperwork and then tear it up.
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top