The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
Bow
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the hunting game, I live in Allegheny county and thinking of going to my gun club (Pitcairn Monroeville gun club 120 acres). Question being, anyone have any experience hunting at gun clubs? To crowded? Find a better spot?

thanks

·
Registered
379 Posts
I think you will find it crowded there. At one time there was a couple clubs in the Greensburg area that leased various farms in the area for hunting which they stocked with pheasants. You would probably be better served to find some other territory. Would you be looking for small or big game hunting areas?

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
New to the hunting game, I live in Allegheny county and thinking of going to my gun club (Pitcairn Monroeville gun club 120 acres). Question being, anyone have any experience hunting at gun clubs? To crowded? Find a better spot?

thanks
I'm a member of that club and shoot there quite often. I've hunted the property and have never experienced a "crowded woods." I've taken a few turkeys in the spring (they have some pretty big flocks there) and have done some deer hunting there.

In pre-season (archery) I've seen some decent shooter bucks as well. In rifle season it's a little different. Those deer are smart enough to get into the thickest stuff they can find, along with going "over the hill" to congregate near the houses.

Like any other year, the first day of rifle is your best chance.....before the lead starts flying and the deer get educated.

Good luck with wherever you go!!

·
Registered
Bow
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think you will find it crowded there. At one time there was a couple clubs in the Greensburg area that leased various farms in the area for hunting which they stocked with pheasants. You would probably be better served to find some other territory. Would you be looking for small or big game hunting areas?
It would be big game. I figured as much as far as the crowdedness..

·
Registered
Bow
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm a member of that club and shoot there quite often. I've hunted the property and have never experienced a "crowded woods." I've taken a few turkeys in the spring (they have some pretty big flocks there) and have done some deer hunting there.

In pre-season (archery) I've seen some decent shooter bucks as well. In rifle season it's a little different. Those deer are smart enough to get into the thickest stuff they can find, along with going "over the hill" to congregate near the houses.

Like any other year, the first day of rifle is your best chance.....before the lead starts flying and the deer get educated.

Good luck with wherever you go!!
I’m gonna stick with bow for around there so hopefully that works in my favor as far as the “crowd”. It’s just pretty convenient because I live so close. As I’m sure you know, it can be alil tough to find a good spot around this area.

thanks !

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I’m gonna stick with bow for around there so hopefully that works in my favor as far as the “crowd”. It’s just pretty convenient because I live so close. As I’m sure you know, it can be alil tough to find a good spot around this area.

thanks !
I'll send you a PM

1 - 6 of 6 Posts