The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
19,532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering what you guys are paying for a gun club membership at a club with trap or skeet?

Initiation fee, annual dues??

·
Registered
25,937 Posts
Most clubs in the Harrisburg area with trap or skeet ranges, run around $100 or more for an adult single membership. Our club is only $50 ($85 family), with four trap houses and three outdoor rifle ranges.

·
Registered
25,937 Posts
Few, if any members griped when we raised our annual dues from $35 to $50 two years ago. We also got lots of members from those clubs that went over $100 for an adult membership.

One member did grumble about the raise, because we have money held in specified use "trusts". He wanted to know why we had to raise dues, instead of using that money. We explained that the money held back, is for capital improvements and emergencies and that a club needs to run itself, budgeted on annual dues and fund raisers, or it will not survive.

·
Banned
1,072 Posts
John Henry said:
Just wondering what you guys are paying for a gun club membership at a club with trap or skeet?

Initiation fee, annual dues??
I belong to one that shoots both trap and skeet, but I use the 200 yard rifle range there exclusively. Nice club, and about 20 minutes from home. $35 a year, no initiation.

Also belong to one that has a brand new club house, 600 yard rifle range, pistol range, trap, skeet, full sporting clays course, etc. They hold a bunch of organized shoots, various leagues, charity shoots, etc that raise more money for the club. About an hour from home. $75 a year, $100 initiation. I'd shoot there exclusively, but when I just want to run a few rounds through a rifle for load development, etc, it's easier to go to the closer club.

Also belonged to a club near home that had a 200 yard range, a trap field that hasn't been shot on in years, and skeet. It seems to be in existence only for a handful of skeet shooters, who kind of give a semi-lukewarm welcome to those outside the circle. Shot there a few times, and never felt completely comfortable. They have times posted on their website and at the club entrance. I showed up one day with three buddies, three hours before "closing time", only to find it locked up and nobody there. I called the number provided on the website, and was told "We (meaning the inner circle) were done shooting, so we locked up and went home". Nice... Last year they never even bothered to send out dues notices, so I took that as a good sign that it was time to go. I understand this year they raised the dues from $35 (was $30 when I belonged) to $50, cause "they keep losing members and need the rest to pay more to make up for it". Wow, what a surprise... You have about 10 guys who think it's their exclusive club, and can't understand why everybody else doesn't want to subsidize their little group.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts