The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am presently using a Ruger #1, which I've had for years. But this year I'm going on an expensive elk hunt and I'm intrigued by the Tika lite and it's claim of <1 inch grouping at 100 yds. The Ruger does OK, easily put several rounds into paper, a 6 inch grouping at 200 yds today under windy conditions and 68 year old eyes. The ranch owner told me to prep for 250 yd shots so I'm not there yet but today was the first effort. Also saw the reviews on the Savage but it weighs 9 lbs! What are your thoughts?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Tikka will definitely do less than an inch, also check the new Weatherby vanguard S2 they will do the same. Both are very accurate

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
My Browning X-Bolt in .300 Win groups right at that 1 in. at 100 consistently and sometimes under plus it has the nicest recoil pad I've ever used...Worth a consideration

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
Cant go wrong with the Tikka either every one I've ever been around was very accurate and super smooth actions

·
Registered
2,645 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
.257 said:
My Browning X-Bolt in .300 Win groups right at that 1 in. at 100 consistently and sometimes under plus it has the nicest recoil pad I've ever used...Worth a consideration
Looks nice but a little more than I can spend.

·
Registered
715 Posts
My Personal opinion would be to take the #1, your familiar with it, comfortable with it, and you have trust in it. Spend the money on better optics and I'll bet you see your group size shrink. 6" is plenty of kill zone on an elk, my guess is a good 4.5x14 VXIII and you'll be happy. Or Better yet go with a 4.5x14 with a 30mm tube, you won't believe the difference good optics can make.

I don't have one but imagine the Tikka will be a good choice. But you will still be wanting to spend as much as you can on optics. A new rifle, a $5k hunt plus travel to and from then the cost of the mount, don't by a $69 blister pack scope from WalMart.

Good Luck on the Hunt!!!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I love my 7mm mag Browning composite stalker topped with a Leupold 3x9 compact. For the heck of it, I recently picked up a Tikka Lite in 7mm mag with a Leupold 4.5x14. I shot it about 10 times and now have it dialed in. I haven't notice any recoil difference between the two, but the Tikka is much lighter in weight. I'm looking forward to carrying it this year during bear season.
Good luck on your choice and your hunt!

·
Registered
10,895 Posts
If you have your choice of rifles narrowed down to a couple, go to your gunshop and try to handle them. The fit of a rifle to you will do as much for accuracy as anything. The stocks on Weatherby Vanguards are too short for me so personally I would never buy one. Just an example.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts