The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy a gun safe some day but right now its not in the cards. Just bought a house and that has become a priority. All my guns are at my parents in my dads safe which isnt far away but I would like my guns at my house.

My uncle gave me a wooden gun cabinet he built 30 yrs ago. The glass needs replaced and its scratched up. It only holds 8 guns but I can squeeze some more in for now.

I'd like to restore it. It has some intricate moldings on it that I'm not sure how I could remove the finish or would I need to remove that finish on those areas?

Could I get away with cleaning it up and oiling it or do I need to sand off the existing finish a little and restain?

Thoughts? Just looking for some direction and ideas. It will probably be my fall project in the evenings after hunting. Thanks.

·
Registered
11,357 Posts
dremel tools and the little tiny sanding tips work great for getting in the tight spots on old furniture.
if you don't remove it all, you will notice it after refinishing......unless you are going with a much darker color. post some pics and maybe some of the pros can give u better advice

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
I don't know what finish is on it but Formby's liquid stripper works pretty well. You can use a small stiff bristle brush to get into the nooks and crannies.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
You would want to attempt to remove the finish on the moldings or risk having a mis matched color in the finish. I've use a kitchen sponge with sandpaper with success. You can also buy sanding blocks at lowes or HD. Start with a rough grit around 150 or so and work your way down to 220. In woodworking I've always found trying your method out on some scrap or in a not noticeable spot will tell you if it will work or not. If you use a dremel make sure not to remove to much material at once haha. Made that mistake a couple of times. Slow and steady. Patience is the key!

·
Registered
5,829 Posts
John S said:
I don't know what finish is on it but Formby's liquid stripper works pretty well. You can use a small stiff bristle brush to get into the nooks and crannies.
I agree, liquid stripper is probably the best bet....you can get it at Lowes, or any hardware.....they even sell an aerosol kind now I think....

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
cool I have a dremmel and the only real thing Ive used it for is cleaning skulls. Good idea.

I'll get pics up once I get a chance soon.

Thanks for the tips!

·
Registered
3,734 Posts
John S said:
I also agree with the liquid stripper approach. A stiff toothbrush should get into the nooks and crannies of the engraving. Just make sure you get the stuff off before it dries.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I would use a high quality stripper and use a stiff brush to get the nooks. also before you restain the cabinet hit the wood with a bleach mixture like 5 to 1 water to bleach. that will bleach out any left stain that soaked in. then i would stain it 3 times and rub it with a soft steel wool between coats. if it is a high end wood look into a french polish, if not varnish will do fine. 3 coats of varnish. although a french polish will make any wood look better

1 - 8 of 8 Posts