The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
During the last 2 months I noticed 2 "gun buy backs". These are local police advertizing to buy firearms for small amounts of cash, typically $25.
When I see some of the firearms that people are selling for $25 I feel that they are getting taken over the coals. They are selling unwanted guns for pennies on a dollar.

I wonder if a private citizen could have a gun buy back?

·
Registered
398 Posts
I run my own, works very well. Just go to a local barber shop ( the one that all of the old men go to for a $8 hair cut) and put up a sign with what you want. I bought a couple of SXS shotguns this way.

·
Registered
217 Posts
A few years ago I had a cheap and unreliable .25 auto that I did not want. I took it to a gun buy back at Monroeville. When I presented it to the cop I also asked for a receipt showing that I was no longer in posession of the gun. The cop said that they DO NOT GIVE RECEIPTS. So I said that it sounded like a pretty good way for a cop to pick up a "cold piece" for his own use or even a money maker. He became rudely defensive which... confirmed my opinion. Needless to say, I took the gun home with me.

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Saw one on the news a couple days ago. Yeah, the thing that's the most laughable (or ignorant) is that when they show these on the news the officer says "We had xx number of guns brought in today that we got off the streets and out of the hands of crimminals". Ohh REALLY..... that's terrific, cause I was woried about that 60 some year old lady that brought in her dead husband's 22 handgun breaking into my house at night. I'll sleep a lot better now. Where do I sign up to vote you guys in again next year?

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
Some nice looking guns among the junk that was shown on the news. (Pittsburgh)

·
Registered
317 Posts
Sgt Rick said:
So I said that it sounded like a pretty good way for a cop to pick up a "cold piece" for his own use or even a money maker. He became rudely defensive which... confirmed my opinion.
i was in an elected officials office(dont want to say where) for work and i had to go into his back closet that was locked. he opened it and left. there were 2 thompson machine guns like you see in gangster or WWII movies with a few small magazines and one of the big maybe 100 round drums also. i dont know if they were full auto but ill bet they came from a buyback. ill bet the local media would have a field day if it wasnt legal for him to have them...

·
Registered
25,639 Posts
Most of these charades run on a "no questions asked" basis. You bring in a gun, they give you whatever "reward" is offered: money, coupons, etc. Cops say they run serial numbers to check for reported stolen firearms and attempt to remedy such situations.

From what I can tell, all such buy-back programs claim every firearm is destroyed. One of the first ones the city of Harrisburg did some years ago, included some of the stuff being shown on the TV news. I recall seeing at least a few primo firearms in that pile.

Back then, all guns collected went to the local steel mill and were melted down.

In my opinion these things are a joke and do nothing towards getting illegal guns off the streets and out of the hands of criminals. Mostly see old single barrel shotguns that've been sitting in a closet for 20 years since gramps died, or some junk handgun that someone had in a dresser.

The heartbreak, would be WWII bring-backs and other firearms that have collectible worth being destroyed, because the person that turned them in had no idea of their value. It happens.

..there were 2 thompson machine guns like you see in gangster or WWII movies..
If that was a former Sen. from Philly, he was a known collector of firearms, especially Class III stuff. He is no longer allowed to own such things.

·
Registered
893 Posts
Interesting name "BUY BACK"
Is that to imply that the local police or whoever is putting on the dog and pony show had owned them first?

·
Registered
5,952 Posts
Sgt Rick said:
A few years ago I had a cheap and unreliable .25 auto that I did not want. I took it to a gun buy back at Monroeville. When I presented it to the cop I also asked for a receipt showing that I was no longer in posession of the gun. The cop said that they DO NOT GIVE RECEIPTS. So I said that it sounded like a pretty good way for a cop to pick up a "cold piece" for his own use or even a money maker. He became rudely defensive which... confirmed my opinion. Needless to say, I took the gun home with me.
Rudely Defensive??? I would say you were rudley offensive, implying he was doing something illegal.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
you put reality on his plate,shame but thats the way it is and guaranteed some do end up for exactly that use;wise decision you made.

·
Registered
25,639 Posts
Human behavior being what it is at times when temptation rears its head, I've often wondered if anyone ever decided a Colt SAA or other fine handgun that showed up in one of these idiotic things, should "escape" the smelter?

Not an accusation per se, just a question.

·
Registered
199 Posts
i can guarantee it does....those guns could disappear so easily it isnt even funny and some of the stuff i hear my friends(police officers) get away with makes it 1000000% believable. nobody is melting down a 2k gun if they know what it is worth. fact!

·
Registered
976 Posts
Back in the mid 90s I had a train shop and an FFL. A guy came in and wanted to by G scale trains and I took a Ruger 10/22 on trade. About that time there was a news story about a "buy back" in NYC, I believe. I called the local newspaper and told them I was taking guns for trades on trains. He asked me if I was destroying the guns and I told him, no, I am reselling them. I got my picture in the paper holding the rifle and it sold the next day after the story ran.
Ben

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
I often thought of showing up outside a gun buyback program with a couple hundred bucks,check out what's going in.if I was interested,offer them more than the program was gonna give them.I'm sure there are done good guns going there.

·
Registered
3,085 Posts
fishkrane said:
I often thought of showing up outside a gun buyback program with a couple hundred bucks,check out what's going in.if I was interested,offer them more than the program was gonna give them.I'm sure there are done good guns going there.
Great idea! Offer them a little more than the buyback price and have fun

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
you can't,plainclothes walk a perimeter outside around the buyback place,you will be told to leave the property,i did see a remington mod 722 that looked decent,made me sick

1 - 20 of 45 Posts