The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Police officers in Seattle, Washington held their first gun buyback program in 20 years this weekend, underneath interstate 5, and soon found that private gun collectors were working the large crowd as little makeshift gun showsbegan dotting the parking lot and sidewalks. Some even had “cash for guns” signs prominently displayed.
Police stood in awe as gun enthusiasts and collectors waved wads of cash for the guns being held by those standing in line for the buyback program.
People that had arrived to trade in their weapons for $100 or $200 BuyBack gift cards($100 for handguns, shotguns and rifles, and $200 for assault weapons) soon realized that gun collectors were there and paying top dollar for collectible firearms. So, as the line for the chump cards got longer and longer people began to jump ship and head over to the dealers.
John Diaz, Seattles Police Chief, wasn’t pleased with the turn of events stating “I’d prefer they wouldn’t sell them,” but admitted it’s perfectly legal for private individuals to buy and sell guns, FOR NOW. Mayor Mike McGinn said at a news conference the private transactions are a loophole that needs to be closed. “There’s no background checks, and some (guns) could be exchanged on the streets that shouldn’t be in circulation.”
But Schuyler Taylor, a previous gun retailer attending the event in hopes of buying weapons, asked “Why not offer them cash versus a gift card? I’m still taking the guns off the streets; they’re just going in my safe.”
People were reportedly, at one point, jumping out of vehicles whilst sitting in traffic – making on the spot deals with the gun buyers.
But the BuyBack wasn’t a bust. On the contrary – their $80,000 supply of gift cards didn’t last but 2 hours, and by 11:00 am they began attempting to issue IOU’s at which point the entire crowd responded by turning and marching toward the gun dealers, forcing the police officers to pack it up for the day.
On one last note of hilarity, the Seattle Police department claims that they will check the buyback guns to see if any were previously stolen and, if so, try to return them to the rightful owners! LOL. Brilliant!
In 1992, Seattle police collected more than 1,200 guns in a four-day buyback program.
Now the only question is, when will the Seattle Police department stage the next gun show?

·
Super Moderator
26,992 Posts
Doesn't look like it backfired. Looks like it worked perfectly well, to me!

·
Registered
424 Posts
The ONLY problem I see...

If a person is willing to turn it in for a $200 gift card, WHY would you
offer them "top dollar"???? I hope to go to a "show" near me and I'll offer
$200 CASH to start (maybe $250) and go from there.

All the "panic buyers" driving up prices needlessly!!!

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why, because the people buying the guns were honest and offering a fair price, qauntum merit, while the police were show boating and paying a ridiculous price for junk and an unfair price for good firerarms to pretend they were doing somethig to prevent crime. Do you really think criminals sold gtheir guns? If they did they sold junk to the police in order to buy a better gun.

·
Registered
12,138 Posts
Hey, I can't remember where, but I had four of those junker 1920's suicide specials and got $75 each for them at a buy back. I think I paid $5 to $10 each for them. Not a bad little profit. I'll have to round up some more junkers and hope for a local buy back.

·
Registered
2,126 Posts
Good there were some others there buying guns or the cops would have run out of gift cards a lot sooner.

·
Registered
424 Posts
A "fair" price is the price at which both parties are satisfied.
Clearly, the sellers were content to receive a $200 gift certificate.

Would you go to a store and say:
"Wait, let me give you more than the price marked, because I saw it at xyz for this much. Your selling it too cheap!"

SAME PRINCIPLE.

·
Registered
6,750 Posts
zimmerstutzen said:
Hey, I can't remember where, but I had four of those junker 1920's suicide specials and got $75 each for them at a buy back. I think I paid $5 to $10 each for them. Not a bad little profit. I'll have to round up some more junkers and hope for a local buy back.
I would like to see a buy back in my community.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Besides, I have a problem with this buy-back concept on SO MANY levels,
I don't know where to start!

1) In many cases they are probably destroying evidence.
2) Money is being WASTED on inoperable firearms
(which accomplishes NOTHING but wasting money)
3) People turn in high quality firearms to be destroyed (or maybe not
)
4) I disagree with the concept in principle, so I'm not rewarding a FOOL.
5) I LOVE a GREAT DEAL if I can get one. (just like most people)
6) FOOLS and their money are easily parted (in this case the firearm is the money)
7) I'm NOT convincing someone to sell something for less than THEY want.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
No gun owner should ever, I repeat ever, sell a gun at a buy back scheme. The couple of dollars you may recieve will be by far over shawdowed by the credence you give the gun grabbers in the form of numbers of guns purchased. Those who fear guns don't care if they were junk or good firearms, so long as individuals no longer own them. Participating in a buy back is not only stupid, but it is against self interest!

·
Registered
1,989 Posts
The biggest joke is when you see it on the evening news, people who never even had a parking ticket(much less committed a gun crime) bringing them in and the chief proclaiming "we got XXX number of guns off the street today"......oh really off the street????

·
Registered
24,796 Posts
I often wondered why people didn't work the lines offering cash for guns. Even here in PA this would be legal.

In the end - junk is junk. But there has to be some good stuff in line that is going to be destroyed for no good reason.

Capitalism is alive and well. Tip of the hat to those that profited on the police action.

·
Registered
948 Posts
How many of these "bought-back" firearms wind up in the hands of those running the buy-back?

Do you really think they are all destroyed? Even that expensive, antique gun that someone's grandfather bought back in the early 1900s?

Or do they get a special ride home from one of the people running the buy-back?

·
Registered
86 Posts
"Or do they get a special ride home from one of the people running the buy-back?"

You know I was wondering the same thing last month when I was watching this unfold on the evening news. The first thing I thought of was man what kind of gns were they running over with those tanks. Hopefully people were smart enough and didnt take anything real valuable in there but then again?

·
Registered
2,858 Posts
John,
I would venture to say that a large majority of those folks turning guns in for gift cards are not "gun owners" like you and I persay.
I would venture to say that these folks inheriated a firearm or two from a parent or relative through a will or someother type of gift exchange.
I do not see present day sportsmans weather it be hunters and/or competative shooters turning firearms in for gift cards.
I am with you in respect to our right to bear arms but if it comes down to a person keeping a gun in an unsafe manner or turning it in at one of these buy back programs. I have no problem with that.
I am sure that you agree that we do not need another story on CNN about a child getting his/her parents so called "gun" and shooting themselves or another person by accident.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Any one here ever sale a gun on a buyback? Do they see if the gun is working? I have a SLoad of guns that can never be fixed and would like to sell them.

·
Registered
960 Posts
I have an old Ward 16 gauge pump with a big poly choke on it basicly held together with duct tape. I would love to get a gift card for it.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Go ahead, help the other side, give them statistics to use about how affective they are, help them waste tax money.

·
Registered
16,457 Posts
I would venture to say that a large majority of those folks turning guns in for gift cards are not "gun owners" like you and I persay.
Wouldn't anybody be more than a little concerned walking up and down that line of hundreds of these folks ? Think about it. If they are goofy enough to practically "give" a perfectly fine/operable gun away, do you really trust what may be sitting in the chamber ? Not sure what the "rules" are, but hundreds upon hundreds of people with little to no gun handling knowledge, waving guns around in unison, is a bit concerning, no ?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts