The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Newbie who made 2 knives so far. So I wanted to try gun blue for some patina. Watched a couple of youtube videos and ready to go. Cleaned blade with denatured alcohol, put on gloves, heated blade with hair dryer as suggested and applied gun blue. Waited 1 minute then neutralized with water and wiped dry. AWEFUL....very splotchy, uneven and not very dark. Video said if you wanted darker repeat process. So I did and same disasterist result!

Suggestions? What did I do wrong?

Thanks.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Try boiling the knives until they are hot enough to flash dry, apply the bluing solution with a cotton ball, when dry steel wool it lightly with 000 or 0000 steel wool and repeat until you get a rich blue, it will take several coats until you get a rich even color. Here is a picture of a rifle I did over 40 years ago with Birchwood Casey cold bluing solution. The rifle looks as good today as it did when I blued it.

·
Registered
901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Woods Walker. Had similar experience with my try at using vinegar. Cleaned blade, heated vinegar and let blade soak overnight. This morning it was black until I tried drying it off the coating came off too. I'm starting to get a complex! Any ideas on tjis one?

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Non other than the instructions I gave you above.

·
Registered
1,344 Posts
A suggestion would be to use acetone instead of alcohol. If you buy cheap alcohol it may have unwanted byproducts.

·
Registered
388 Posts
another suggestion..... to retain the black color, try boiling in water saturated with baking soda. This sets the oxides produced while etching so should work with this also,

1 - 6 of 6 Posts