The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First of all I am not trying to get any more attention to my ad in the classifieds by posting a question here but I am looking to trade my Rem model Seven XCR in 270WSM.

Here is the rub; I have been offered a Rem model Seven XCR, identical to my 270WSM, in a 308. But I have also been offered a stainless Remington Mountain rifle in 280 Remington. I believe both guys want to do a straight trade; gun for gun.

I feel my WSM is too much gun for hunting deer where I hunt (300 yards or less overlooking a semi dense wooded hollow) I do not hunt bear or even plan to go out on an elk hunt.

Please assume all the rifles are in great condition and have only shot a box or two of shells. What are your opinions out there on what is a fair trade deal for my rifle and what is not?

Sorry about the novel, I just felt like I had to explain.

·
Registered
2,449 Posts
I think the Model 7 has a 20 inch barrel and the Mountain has a 22 inch barrel. Both are great deer guns. There is a lot more 308 ammo out there. Both will have about the same recoil.

·
Banned
774 Posts
how do you figure your 270 is too much for deer? 300 yards is a good poke ....dead is dead and 270wsm is not too much for deer

I would take the 308 if I were you. Youll have range and power

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ESU.archer said:
how do you figure your 270 is too much for deer? 300 yards is a good poke ....dead is dead and 270wsm is not too much for deer

I would take the 308 if I were you. Youll have range and power
I have been hunting for 17 years and have never tried a shot at or near 300 yards. I guess I was just throwing out a rough number for the width of the hollow. To me, the WSM is too much for the distances I want to shoot.

·
Registered
3,770 Posts
The .280 mountain rifle is an extremely versatile and well balanced all around game rifle. The .308 is as well, but in choosing betwen the two, I would take the .280 The .308 is a more accurate round, but only in very capable hands. In practical hunting situations, it makes no difference. The 270 WSM is not at all too much for deer hunting. If you are the same guy who posted about excessive meat damage you just need to use a different bullet. If your not married, buy both guns! LOL

·
Banned
774 Posts
my mistake I thought you meant your shots are usually longer shots....280 is a great caliber and since its not as readily available as calibers like 308 it will be more expensive to shoot....reloading will relieve that though.

in my opinion you cant go wrong with either trade

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
I you're worried about the 270 being too much for deer, then go with the .308. It's not a a lot less powerful that the 270wsm, but of the two you listed, it's the smaller. That being said, if it were me, I'd take the 280. However, I probably wouldn't be getting rid of the 270wsm in the first place. The .270 is one of the best deer cartridges around, and the 270wsm closely mirrors it, but with a bit better ballistics, in a smaller ligther package with the short action(given the gun of course. All things being equal, the short action will be a big lighter). Bullet selection will account for more/less meat damage than will the size of the caliber. I've torn deer up worse with a .257 roberts, than I have with a 300 Ultra mag, simply because of shot placement and bullet design/structure.

·
Banned
774 Posts
but if your only reason for trading is because you think your 270WSM is too much...then its the wrong decision if you ask me

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
go with the 308. the 270 WSM will have a short run for reasonable ammo. Again if you don't reload, there are way more ammo options availabe for the 308.

·
Registered
3,489 Posts
IMO the 270WSM is a very good choice from 0-600yds on deer, antelope, goat, sheep, and elk. But I think it is a mis-match in a Model 7 which I don't consider a really good 300+ gun. If I could trade it I'd probably go with the model 7 short action 308. I think they are nice guns for practical use in the woods, gun and caliber are a nice eastern match, both will nicely do 300 yards.

·
Registered
661 Posts
It sounds to me more like you're looking for a new gun. If you reload, why not just download the wsm to standard .270 velocities?
If it's ammunition costs, go with the .308. But if it were me, you've already got an awesom size and weight gun with a decent deer caliber, I'd just download the ammo.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I guess I never really thought too hard about bullets for it. What are good bullet for the WSM? Grain? Brand? I am trying to remember what I had loaded in it 2 seasons ago; might have been some kind of 140 or 150gr boattail.

You guys are making me reconsider trading it.
The initial reason for even considering selling or trading is an upcoming gun auction in which the guy had 3 or 4 guns I am very very interested in. I do not really have any other way to come up with cash for it. Then people started making really good gun for gun trade offers for it and here I am.

·
Registered
5,159 Posts
If you like the gun, keep it. Just use a good bonded bullet like a nosler partition, or accubond, or a barnes tsx. They won't "come apart" like a ballistic tip, and destray a lot of meat, but at high velocity, they will hold together, and still casue plenty of damage for a short tracking job. I shoot 168 gr tsx's out of my 300 ultra, and do less damage to deer than I have in the past with my .257 roberts and nosler ballistic tips. if you use a lightly constructed bullet such a nosler ballistic tip, or corelockts at high velocity, you will at some point have wasted meat if you don't make the perfect shot everytime. That being said, if you hit bone with any bullet(i.e. the shoulder) you're going to have wasted meat.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Well I think you said you do reload, You could try loading a lighter load. Although I reload and my son has a 270WSM and they are ok I guess. Never been overly impressed by it. You could definitly reload or even purchase light loads for both the .308 and the 280 the deer will be dead no matter what you shoot it with.

Personally I don't care about wasting a little meat to know the deer is down, not going any where and did not suffer or as little as possible. (I feel I owe the animal that much) So I shoot either BT or Sierra pro hunters never has them run and 99 percent dropped where they stood. The boys 270 WSM for some reason even with BT 130 grains the deer run and the bullet does put the deer down. They where all perfect chest shots. He has since swithed to a 7mm-08 120 gr BT and they drop like rocks? I can't explain it but I guess he feels more comfortable with the 7mm-08. Oh and he is not a kid he is 23 and an EOD Soldier in the Army so its not like a 12 year old shooting a 270 WSM. I might play with it this year to see what it will do for me. Any way, either down load or trade. I would go with the mountain rifle I own a model 7 and I like the mountain rifles better if they are both in good condition.

·
Registered
889 Posts
If you reload then why trade?? If you are happy with how your rifle shoots?? You are trading a known rifle for an unknown rifle. Unless you have a problem with yours then you are trading for what reason?? The cartrdige you have is not too much for deer. And you will not notice alot of recoil difference between the three cartridges. So you are not buying a lower recoil cartridge?? So I can't understand why you would want to trade?? Unless you have problems with your rifle?? Tom.

·
Registered
4,541 Posts
Both good choices but would probably just keep the 270 WSM. We never know when life will come up with new opportunities. The .280 is just slightly bigger diameter than the .270.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts