The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw this topic on another forum and was surprised to find my thoughts on the matter differed from the majority of those responding.

Should paid guides be allowed to take clients hunting on public land?

·
Registered
1,361 Posts
Why restrict it, if he/she is law abiding then fair chase is fair chase.?

·
Registered
522 Posts
It's prohibited in PA as well on SGLs. Page 18 of the rule book Sell, distribute, deliver, service, guide or rent any equipment, material or commodity or otherwise transact or engage in any commercial activity. Such activity is when a person directly or indirectly accepts consideration of value as compensation for the provision of goods or services, including transportation. Well at least that's the way I've always read it.

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
mattyg123 said:
It's prohibited in PA as well on SGLs. Page 18 of the rule book Sell, distribute, deliver, service, guide or rent any equipment, material or commodity or otherwise transact or engage in any commercial activity. Such activity is when a person directly or indirectly accepts consideration of value as compensation for the provision of goods or services, including transportation. Well at least that's the way I've always read it.
That's the way I read it also, but I don't think it's strictly enforced. Guys need to make a living.

·
Registered
24,761 Posts
<span style="font-weight: bold">(c) Guiding on State game lands. Notwithstanding the general prohibitions of § 135.41 (relating to state game lands), <span style="text-decoration: underline">a guiding permit issued pursuant to this subchapter shall authorize its holder to engage in commercial guiding activities on State game lands for an eligible species of wildlife.</span></span>

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
That is only for two species, elk and bobcat.

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
It is enforced if the WCOs learn about it. It should be enforced as well. Can you imagine the problems guiding for hire on game lands would cause then hunters and guides and their clients clash over who is hunting an area. It s bad enough with tree stands and clashes.

·
Registered
24,761 Posts
John S said:
That is only for two species, elk and bobcat.

a) General rule. A guiding permit issued under this subchapter is required for any person to engage in any commercial or noncommercial guiding activity for the following designated species of wildlife: elk and bobcat. A guiding permit is required for any person to engage in any commercial guiding activity for coyotes on State game lands.

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Are there any rules for other public land such as State Park or Forest, National Forest, Army Corp of Engineers, Forest or Farm Game Commission Cooperators?

·
Registered
24,761 Posts
<span style="font-style: italic">b) Additional permits. Possession of a guiding permit issued under this subchapter does not diminish an individual’s obligation to obtain any other applicable Federal, State or local permits concerning the guiding activities. </span>

·
Registered
9,657 Posts
Is there a reason guides shouldnt be allowed to take clients on public lands? If they are residents of Pa, havent they paid taxes of various types that have gone to help pay for the purchase and maintenance of state forests & parks? If they purchase hunting licenses, they have helped to purchase game lands.

Would you rather share public lands with a guide or have them lease private lands that you might have had access but are now off limits?

Does it make a difference if they are guiding for a personal fee compared to guiding and raising money for a conservation organization? How about if they guide for just food and bourbon?

If you found where a guide was taking clients on public lands that you never hunted before, would you stay away or go hunting the same area to see if you can learn something about why they are guiding that area?

If I posted gps coordinates on here where I've guided clients, do you think my covers would be flooded with new people?

·
Registered
8,072 Posts
Technically if you meet up with a guy on here, and take him to your grouse spot on SGLS, and he buys you lunch, or pays for your gas, you are breaking the law as I am reading it...NO?

"Such activity is when a person directly or indirectly accepts consideration of value as compensation for the provision of goods or services, including transportation"

·
Registered
2,145 Posts
Would it be illegal for someone to pay a guy to bring his dog and handle it for pheasant on stocked gamelands? Just curious. I can see a group of guys without a dog hiring a guy to bring his dog to work for them.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
I would think it would be illegal. also depending on what they would be charging it prob would be a better option to pay and hunt a preserve. Could shoot more than two birds

1 - 20 of 51 Posts