The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I'm looking to take my father on a guided snowshoe hare hunt for his 50th birthday. I'm looking to head up to Maine/Vermont/New Hampshire... one of the three. I've done some research on guides up North and found the following website that looks promising : http://www.milleroutdoors.com/hunting/snowshoe-hare-hunting.htm

Anyone have any experience with this guide service? Can anyone recommend another guide service they've had a good experience with?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
Re: Looking for Guided Snowshoe Hare - Father's 50th

Yep, I was there 2 yrs ago, in Feb. However we tried to contact him this past year to go up again and he didn't return our calls or messages, not sure what the story was there. We will be looking to go somewhere again this year but not sure if we will try him again or not. As far as the hunt 2 yrs ago, we brought our own food, the cabin was fine, not plush but served the purpose. Hunting was very good as far as numbers of hares and his dogs worked very well. He did rotate his dogs using fresh ones after a couple hours or so, which I thought was good because at that time a few of the dogs were older so he didn't run them the whole day. When he thought the dogs were "done" we would head back to camp limit or not which was usually by 2PM or so. Which I was ok with, although a couple of the guys would've liked to keep hunting until the end of the day since we had not limited out. Chris, the guide was a nice guy and good to hunt with. We had 5 hunters, can't remember how many SS we got but everyone got some shots and we came close to a limit both days we were there. We're going to check around a little for this year or we may try him again if we can get in touch with him. I'm heading to maine to my friends place for deer this year, he also does snowshoe hunts so we may go there. If you'd like to call him or check his site for Maine: Wilderness Escape Outfitters, Randy Flannery. There is an article and picture on deer hunting in the Oct. Field & Stream featuring him. Good luck searching.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Thanks, this is exactly the information I was looking for. It's nice to hear from someone who has had first hand experience. I haven't tried contacting the milleroutdoors folks yet but it worries me that they haven't responded to any of your phone calls. However, I am happy to hear the numbers were good (game-wise) and that his dogs worked well. I'm going to give them a call later today, hopefully I can get in touch with them. If not, I'll give your friend a call at Wilderness Escape Outfitters. Thanks again for the information I will let you know how I make out.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts

Keep us posted, always on the lookout for potential good places to go. First hand experience is best.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

I tried contacting Miller Outdoors yesterday and no one answered. Did not receive a response to my phone call yet so I'm still researching new guides/outfitters.

Davy: I was going to call your friend at Wilderness escape outfitters and then realized they are 10+ hours away. I might try to find something a little bit closer, say in the 8 hour range.

I have been hearing great things about Pine Grove Lodge so I am going to give them a call later today. Anyone have any experience with Pine Grove Lodge recently? I've read some reviews and they seem promising. I'll keep you all posted on my findings. Thanks again. Any other help is appreciated.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts

Yeah it's about 11 hours from the Scranton area. But if I remember right Millers was around that too (time wise) due to going through mountains and small towns and he is at the very top of N.H. I think only about 10 miles from Maine. I've heard of Pine Grove as well, and Oxbow Lodge but I'm not sure if Oxbow does SS maybe just deer and bear.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts

Been going to Miller's for about 10 years now.
Very good area for hare. quite a lot of hunters around though.

He can be a super pain to get a hold of.
I swear he ignores people on purpose.

As far as the 2PM quit goes, that is pretty standard for him.
We have our own hounds and no longer book "fully guided" for that reason.

E Mail has always worked best for us to get him.
A few of our friends were up there last weekend and he had 2 semi guided groups as well as a fully guided group, so he is quite busy.

But we still go because it is a good area and in NH you can hunt on Sunday, where in Maine you can not.

We also go to Maine but hunt on our own and rent a cabin.

I takes us about 8 hours from Susquehanna County to get to Miller's

John L

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Thanks for the information Rabbit Runner. He definitely is very difficult to get a hold of. I called him once more last night and he didn't pick up. I'll try e-mailing him today to see if I can get a response. I keep hearing great things about his services so I would like to book with him.

I wasn't aware that you could hunt on Sundays in New Hampshire that means I could get an additional day of hunting in if I went to NH. Hopefully he gets back to me soon.

Then again I guess most outfitters are pretty difficult to get a hold of, haha. I tried calling Pine Grove Lodge as well and they didn't pick up or return my phone call. Hopefully I hear back from either of these guides soon.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So far I've contacted the following places and haven't heard a response from any of them....

1. Millers outdoors NH - Phone call and e-mail
2. Pine Grove Lodge ME - Phone call and E-mail
3. Sunrise Ridge ME - Phone call and E-mail

Finally I'll be contacting Wilderness Escape outfitters. I'm going to bite the bullet and make the 11 hour trek if they get back to me. I know they are primarily Moose and Bear guides but they offer Snowshoe hare. I've read numerous reviews/testimonials and most people have given them great reviews. Hopefully they get back to me. I want to get something booked for mid - November and I'm running out of time.

I'll let you guys know how it goes.

Thanks again,

Perry

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
GH you can talk with Randy at Wilderness Escape as I recommended but didn't know you were looking at mid-Nov time frame. Deer season starts up there first week of Nov and runs thru thanksgiving week, most outfitters are busy with deer hunters but if he's not booked up too heavy they may take you SS hunting. I've seen plenty of hares up there during deer and bear seasons.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks Davy. I received an e-mail back from Sunrise Ridge and they let me know their cabins were all booked for the month of November because of Deer season. I guess I'll have to look at a later date. I'm going to give Randy at Wilderness Escape and see what their availability is. If they can fit me in Mid-November then that would be great, but if not, I'll book a trip for mid-December.

Thanks again for the info. Hoping to get a hold of Randy or someone at Wilderness Escape today. I'll let you know how it goes.

-Perry

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
Keep in mind hunting season is going strong right now and these people are busy and trying to make money with clients that are already in camp or booked. That's their priority right now and its probably long days so they don't have much spare time to call people back immediately. E-mail is probably the most reliable right now but even then it might take a few days for a response. It sure doesn't hurt you to shoot them another email either. Unfortunately you're a little late in the game for booking during their prime time. Many of these places will have been booked for months or even longer. Good luck, hope you find a place and have a great hunt.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks Ryan, I agree that I am a little late. I guess I was being a bit optimistic when I thought I could book a hunt at this time. I'll just have to wait for a response from one of them. I'll shoot them another e-mail today just for good measure. Thanks again for the advice.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
GrkHunter30 said:
Thanks Ryan, I agree that I am a little late. I guess I was being a bit optimistic when I thought I could book a hunt at this time. I'll just have to wait for a response from one of them. I'll shoot them another e-mail today just for good measure. Thanks again for the advice.
No problem, many of us have probably been there. I go to the Adirondacks every year in June to flyfish, we book the same place every year. I e-mailed him once in late August to book for the last weekend in September. A day or two later he called me back to explain, "Ryan, I'm sorry but I'm booked solid." I replied "Wow, fall fishing up there is really popular" and he said "no, it's the leaf peepers. If you want to book here for September/early October you have to do so in early spring." Lesson Learned.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Hey guys, just wanted to give you a little update on my findings. The only outfitter that got back to me with availability and pricing was SunRise Ridge Guide Service in Bingham Maine. They had availability the weekend of the 19th of December so I am going to pull the trigger on that. My father and I will arrive the 19th and hunt the 20th and 21st of December.

I had a few questions for those of you who have hunted Snowshoe Hare in Maine.

Have any of you gone in December? I know a few people either head up there early in the fall or late March. Hopefully December will provide some good Hare Hunting.

Any recommendations on what to bring other than the usual warm clothes and such. (This will be a fully guided hunt with the guide service's dogs.)

Thanks again to all of you for your suggestions regarding different outfitters. I can't wait! Should be a great time for my Father and I.

-Perry

·
Registered
3,134 Posts
GPS and a compass are #1. Be prepared for the thickest cover you've ever seen in your life, especially if you hunt spruce plantations.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
We usually go Feb. or March. But sometimes the snow is too deep then and the only way to hunt is snowmobiles and snowshoes. Better with some snow, but not that much! I'd ask the guide if you'll be hunting any really wet areas or the swamp edges, if so rubber boots might be on the list as they are standard equipment up there. December can be somewhat warm or cold and if the creeks and swamps are not frozen you can be in the wet. Good luck, memories in the making.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
I just got back from up there, not sure about in December but the most useful thing I had (other than my GPS) was my waterproof chaps/rain coat! I would have been miserable without those.

Definitely a GPS like John said. I don't care how good you are with direction, you get in those spruce, you can feel lost and you haven't even went fifty yards.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts