The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Headed over to Nockamixon State Park (5C) after work today with the inline. Not more than 10 minutes after getting settled in my favorite spot I hear rustling and see some moving quickly maybe 50 yards off. Deer? Nope. Mountainbikers! First one, then another and then another. All totaled 6 of 'em. Seems the new mountain bike trail they laid out goes right thru prime hunting territory. Mad? A little but it's a State Park and we all have to share. Still, you'd think the park officials would have posted signs up saying "Caution, Area Open too Hunting". They do in other parks of the park. Think I'll make phone call tomorrow.

·
Registered
83 Posts
I wouldnt let that stop me from hunting there. Ive hunted a spot quite a few times in the past that is the same way and seen deer walk the same trail bikes and people walked down ten minutes before. maybe not right away but in days months years to come, they will become used to it.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
I used to ride in a park and when I decided to turn around instead of going thru the muddiest swampy spot, I would always see the deer that I disturbed on my way in...happened alot. Use them to your advantage!

·
Super Moderator
12,912 Posts
I wouldn't worry much about the mountain biker. They make good trails to stalk quietly and good excess to any from hunting locations.

I hunt some areas that good a good deal of ATV traffic, The deer seem to learn to handle normal passers by just like they do the highway.

I witness 2 eight pointers traveling together and feeding on acorns on a trail then stop and walk into the cover while the traffic passed and walked back out on the trail within minutes to feed like nothing happened.

·
Registered
2,980 Posts
egward said:
Still, you'd think the park officials would have posted signs up saying "Caution, Area Open too Hunting". They do in other parks of the park. Think I'll make phone call tomorrow.
do you really think mtn bikers or hikers would pay any mind to a sign?

·
Registered
400 Posts
The game commission should charge them for a license to ride on state game lands. Pretty soon they will think they own the place and be organizing "ride for the cure" of the disease du jour during hunting season.

·
Registered
14,314 Posts
I'd hunt and not worry about the mt. bikers. They aren't bothering anything(most want to go fast and don't lolligag all too often anyway). If you're in a typical 'stopping spot' that might get annoying, but for the most part they move through and in a minute everything is back to normal.

I ride as well and I always try to be courteous to others in the woods....that being hikers, hunters, fishermen, dog walkers, other riders, et al. MOST mt. bikers, hikers, etc. are the same way. I wouldn't sweat it.

Note: lots of scouting can be done from a mt. bike!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts