The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be picking up a new GSP (DK to be technical, which I am not) puppy towards the end of August. I was curious to see what training materials have worked for others? I am well aware that there are 100 different methods, so I am trying to read a couple different books and watch a couple different training videos so I can see what method(s) look the most appealing to me.

Currently I have a couple of my father's books, including the Delmar Smith Method and Gun Dog by Wolters. I have read on other forums that the following books are also good:

-Speed Train your own Bird Dog by Larry Mueller
-Training with Mo
-Hunt Close by Jerome Robinson
-Common Sense Birddog Training by Ferrel Miller
-Training Pointing Dogs by Paul Long

I would also like to pick up a set or two of DVDs. I seem to see the following recommended:
-Huntsmith's Puppy Development 1 & 2
-Perfection Kennel's Perfect Start / Perfect Finish
-Hickox: Training Pointing Dogs

I have already joined the NADKC and am considering joining NAVHDA. That would add the "Green Book" to the arsenal and give me the opportunity to participate in training days etc with the local chapter.

Obviously, I don't plan to buy everything on the above lists, but I was hoping people might be able to help me narrow down my choices based on what worked (or didn't work) for them. Feel free to add anything that I may have missed!

·
Registered
456 Posts
Don't waste your time with Gun Dog by Wolters. It's a joke. Very outdated and some is just plain stupid. Anyone that recommends this trash hasn't been exposed to decent training methods. If you have an uneven table it may be useful.

I have the Perfection videos and highly recommend them. I have the "green book"...eh it's ok. However, I do recommend training with NAVHDA. You'll catch on quickly by watching and helping others. You will learn as much or more in few clinics as you would paying $400 for a 2 day Huntsmith seminar at Lion Country.

This is another good book. http://www.ahdc.org/ahdcsite/training.php

Good luck with the pup.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info. You are not the first person I have seen that wasn't too fond of the Wolters book. That might explain why that particular one was buried at the bottom of my father's book pile!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.