The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got another GSP a couple of months ago. I have two now from different breeders. Physically they have some obvious differences. They are both good tempered, birdy and should be good bird dogs. Not questioning the quality of breeding, just asking for some input. The new dog (6months) has much larger "houndier" ears and she is much bulkier than my 13month old. The 13month ive been feeding about 4cups a day and cant put wweight on her - I would compare her build to a greyhoung type almost, and her ears are much smaller. I get them out a few days a week but we dont hunt all day or anything. Breeder said it could take 3years to fill out. Just seems odd that being the same breed these two traits would be so different. Are these certain bloodlines and what could this mean down the road?

·
Registered
59 Posts
I would not be concerned on your 2 dogs diffrence in Phenotype as long as you are pleased with there temperment, health and Genotype for hunting , Just because one line of GSPs you have has more bone then the other line means nothing , Most female should have less bone ,less head( more feminine) and should also have a longer top line , these pheno traits help a female carry a litter . A larger bone type dog is more prone to have a bad Bite, joint problems and over wieght problems. In breeding dogs for hunting purpose ,I dont think as much attention is given to conformation , Take a look at your breeds standard read it carfully try to interpit what the standard is for your breed and judge the standard against both your dogs, But nothing odd about your GSPs , my point is about reading your dogs standard is that you will most likly interpit the words of the GSP standard diffrently then I would , there fore if we both were breeders of GSPs Mine would look diffrent then yours, Hence the diffrence in your 2 GSPs

·
Registered
469 Posts
I like and have a bulkier dog but most GSP I see are string beans. As long as they are both good hunters thats all thats important.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I'm just guessing but the houndie type dog is probable a NAVHDA bred dog or a dog with Pottsiepien or Hustler closer up. The 13 month old is probably out of more AF lines. The short hears come from pointer being up close in the pedigree. What's their pedigrees?

·
Registered
4,637 Posts
I prefer the looks of ones more similar to DK lines as apposed to the ones that look more like english pointers.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the answers...I was just curious and am very interested in the breed.The younger houdier one is from D2 SHorthairs in south TX. the sire is Uodibar's Suck it UP from Uodibar shoot the moon and Diamond S stephanie, aDixieland's Rusty, My Angel Mia, and Rusty Spur. The dam is D-Two Itsy Bitsy Dixie from Sundance hearts are wild and Long grove lucky charm, also The older scrawny dogs sire is Lewis's PrimaEvolution V Shilo from Short reeks Waco and Lewis's Gaue Getter, also Beier's Evolution, Aces Prima Banane, Wilkinson's Tink-Her. Dam is Lewis's Moesgaard Clownin Becky DJ from Clowns duke and Long Grove Lucky Charm. Clowns duke is from Rawhides Clown and Moesgaards Becky Deejay. They are both doing great so far this hunting season. The younger pup is more of a brush buster and seems to keep her head lower. While the other is big runner and keeps her head up, she is also a lot more hyper at home.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts