The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey fellas, I've been looking into getting a dog specifically for goose retrievel and to be around the house. Through out my research I have saw that some people have been using German shorthairs..anyone else have any experience doing this? And if so where I can find a breeder to get a pup? If all else fails I guess it'll be back to looking for a lab

·
Registered
464 Posts
My Dad's first GSP was a goose retrieving machine. Second one didn't have an interest in water retrieves, and the current one will retrieve them, although not as well as the first.

While I love the breed, if you were strictly hunting waterfowl I would personally stick to the labs. If you were going to hunt upland as well, I'd go with the GSP to do double duty. But that's just my opinion.

·
Registered
595 Posts
If I was looking for a dog specifically for waterfowl hunting, I would get a retriever, either a lab or a chessie.

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
Aces'nEights said:
My guess would be that labs probably do upland better than pointing breeds do waterfowl.....?
All depends on what you want, and no one can determine that for you. I can't upland hunt my labs in October for very long before they are overheated. On the flip side, we can't take my buddies GSP goose hunting in late January unless in a blind with a heater. Plus's and minus's to all breeds.

·
Registered
4,026 Posts
Specifically just for goose retrieving? Get a retriever then: Labrador, Chesapeake or Golden being the most commkn choices. Why complicate matters? Get the best dog for the specific job.

Now if you really just want a GSP and plan to do some upland along with all the waterfowl then I strongly recommend getting a GSP or DK (Deutsch Kurzhaar- the "original" GSP) from NAVHDA lines. NAVHDA dogs are proven retrievers and most of their lines really love water.

·
Registered
964 Posts
If you're interested in a pointing breed like the GSP that could double as a waterfowl dog you'd be well served looking at a German Wirehaired Pointer. Probably a better choice for retrieving geese, especially from cold water and for the uplands they're very similar to a shorthair. If you're only interested in waterfowl and a nice house dog, I'd get another lab. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
454 Posts
GSP's are very versatile. They handle the cold better than most think. I wouldn't expect water retrieves all day in January but they will break ice. That said, if I were just doing ducks and geese and just wanted a retriever, I'd get a lab.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
hey fellas i have been very busy the past month and am now just checking this. thanks for all the input. i think i am going to go with a lab preferably yellow. now just to find one from a good hunting line

1 - 14 of 14 Posts