The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forum, I am sure this has been asked before, but I have searched through the site using the search box and flipping through the pages, but I cannot seem to find any previous posts regarding recommended GSP breeders in PA or within a reasonable drive outside the state. Looking to get my first GSP and figured I would see if anyone could give me some suggestions or a link to another post if this has been answered before. Thanks!

·
Registered
42 Posts
Warriors Mark in Ginter breeds some very nice gsp's. One of my gsp's is from there and he is great in the house and a blast in the field.

·
Registered
137 Posts
where are you located? I like ALmost Heaven kennels in WVA i have a dog from there and bred my female to one of his dogs as well, Bruce is top notch and if doesnt have what you want can point you in that direction. I can also Recommend Friedelshiem Kennels in Md.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Good point fellas! I forgot to mention Bruce at Almost Heaven, He's a good guy with nice dogs also!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks everyone for the replies!

Parry: I am located in Pittsburgh, but willing to make a few hour drive.

I will definitely check out these breeders

·
Registered
137 Posts
White Robin, Almost Heaven is 2 hours away, I know because He has sent dogs out of the Pitt Airport. Good luck and post pics of your dog.

·
Registered
90 Posts
I asked the same question this past summer and got a lot of good advice. One thing I noticed is people in this forum are passionate about hunting dogs and were extremely helpful.

See if this link works. If not do a search for "Reputable GSP Breeder" in this forum, or look up my posts.

I went iwth RidgePoint Kennels. they are out of TN so it's a bit further than you are looking for. You shouldn't have a problem finding a quality GSP with-in a couple hours drive.

I know Donny at Friedelsheim has a litter coming up soon. He has a nice website too.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I got a GSP from Irene Zubriski at Spring Brook Kennel. The kennels were clean and I could not be happier with my GSP. Dog come with a lot of good instinct.

·
Registered
486 Posts
I will second the recommendation fpor Grousebend. Located in Pittsburgh area, Diane is a top notch trainer and the dogs are great. Ask her about the dog club too.

·
Registered
625 Posts
I've worked some dogs from both Ridge Point in Tennessee and Honey Run right here in Pa. Both offer good bird dogs with the ability to point and handle wild birds.

Some of you may renmember my posting photos of Blitz last summer. He was from Ridge Point Kennel. Here he is on my training grounds:

Blitz was probably the best GSP that I've seen in many years as a pro. That said Blitz had an unfortunate acccident yesterday. Brian,(volraider here on HPA) his owner, called me to tell me that Blitz tangled with a large black bear while they were grouse hunting. He suffered a broken leg, a broken jaw, and many lacerations and a lot of blood loss. He has undergone surgery and the vets say that he should recover and be his former self. We sure hope they are right. Blitz is great dog.
Tom

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
knobmtn said:
I've worked some dogs from both Ridge Point in Tennessee and Honey Run right here in Pa. Both offer good bird dogs with the ability to point and handle wild birds.

Some of you may renmember my posting photos of Blitz last summer. He was from Ridge Point Kennel. Here he is on my training grounds:

Blitz was probably the best GSP that I've seen in many years as a pro. That said Blitz had an unfortunate acccident yesterday. Brian,(volraider here on HPA) his owner, called me to tell me that Blitz tangled with a large black bear while they were grouse hunting. He suffered a broken leg, a broken jaw, and many lacerations and a lot of blood loss. He has undergone surgery and the vets say that he should recover and be his former self. We sure hope they are right. Blitz is great dog.
Tom
Holy Cow. That is horrible news. Wishing Blitz the best on his recovery.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Bruce @ Almost Heaven GSP's - no questions asked. If he doesn't have a litter of his own (just sold all from his one litter this year and probably most of the pups from his/Fieldman Farms litter is spoken for by now but who knows) he'll point you to an appropriate litter/another respected breeder.

Here's my AHGSP. I'll be getting another sometime.

That stinks about Blitz... I wonder if my buddies dog is out of that kennel in TN. He has a firecracked of a female I love out of some kennel in TN I believe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts