The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
GSG5.Worth buying?My son wants a 22lr semi.I would rather know now than later.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
It gets good reviews but I don't have any personal experience with one. I've been eyeing up the S&W M&P15-22 at the local gunshop. I bet either gun would be a blast to shoot.

·
Registered
25,489 Posts
The original GSG 5 was "removed" from the market after H&K sued the manufacturers/importers over perceived patent infringements.

Essentially the same firearm is now back, but called the GSG 522, with some subtle changes. A few folks at my club have the original ones. They are so-so at best.

Personally, if I wanted a dedicated 22 rimfire in a look alike platform, it'd be the S&W M&P AR15 22. Been around a few, they are far more reliable than the GSG, plus they will accept a fair number of actual AR 15 components and disassemble pretty much an actual AR 15.

I would avoid the "Colt" version.

·
Registered
406 Posts

·
Registered
3,815 Posts
If you live in PA the GSG5 is just a plinker that looks like an AR/assault rifle..what ever that term means!!!!

The Ruger 10-22 is probably a more accurate and better made gun. And for the GSG% price one could get a lot more accurate 22 bolt rifle.

So if YOU like the looks of the gsg5, then it is certainly the rifle to buy and you will be happy.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I have the smith and wesson mp 15 22 and it is a fun little gun to play with. same features as the ar 15 but much cheaper to shoot. we went through 1500 rounds 1 day with only a couple duds out of the ammunion. I highly reccommend it to anyone looking for some cheap fun

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I went with the 10/22. If you own a couple screw drivers and some allen wrenches you can totally transform a 10/22. PM me if you want to check mine out.

·
Registered
25,489 Posts
Many ways to "tinker" a 1022 these days, including synthetic stocks that can make one look "all-tactical". Ruger now even makes a factory version.

But if I wanted a 22 rimfire AR 15 clone, it'd be the S&W version.

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have shot the GSG5 and own the M&P 15-22. The M&P is an awesome gun and very reliable with almost any ammo. Mine likes the cheap Federal 525 pack. A couple things I didnt like about the GSG was that the stock sights are not the greatest and the general build of the rifle is a little more complex. With the M&P you can add all kinds of AR accessories and make it tacticool. The earlier models did have problems but smith&wesson has since fixed them. All in all I think the M&P is the better buy. Here is a link to some die hard 15-22 fans where you can gather more information about the rifle itself. http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-m-p-15-22/

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
DennyF said:
Many ways to "tinker" a 1022 these days, including synthetic stocks that can make one look "all-tactical". Ruger now even makes a factory version.

But if I wanted a 22 rimfire AR 15 clone, it'd be the S&W version.
Mine isn't the tactical type. I installed a heavy barrel and a laminated thumbhole stock, along with a target scope and a drop-in trigger from E. Arthur Brown Co.
Great shooter, didn't cost much.

·
Registered
25,489 Posts
Yes, but the topic was "look alike" rimfire semis that mimic so-called assault rifles and there are now oodles of 'em on the market. Of the bunch, the S&W M&P 15 22 is one of the better ones. First GSG clone I saw a coupla years ago, didn't impress me much. Didn't impress the owners much either, because they had "some issues".

Don't know if the newer version is any better?

As for 1022s, I also have one with an aftermarket .920 bull barrel and Fajen synthetic adjustable thumbhole stock. It's a joy to shoot and I didn't spend much money on it. The rifle itself cost me $75 used, maybe 25 years ago.

Mainly cheap, because I won the stock at an FNRA banquet and got the bull barrel, along with a Fajen synthetic sporter stock, in a combo pack at BassPro some years ago.

The barrel and stock purchased separately from Midway at the time, would've cost far more than I got the combo pack on sale for, at BP. Flopped that sporter stock on another 1022.

·
Super Moderator
4,565 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes my son wants a military style 22.We have some time because he needs to pay for part of it.Call it a learning experience.I feel kids need know what money does.It does not pop out because you say I want this.He has some grass cutting to perform for the neighbors.He is also aware he will not be able to use it for hunting.He has a pump and my 22 mag bolt for that.I'm happy just sitting with him.Glad he has interest in firearms and hunting.

·
Registered
25,489 Posts
When my son was about 9 or 10, he often went to camp with my parents and typically burned up several bricks of ammo over the summer up there. Often with my old original 1022, sometimes with his own Rem. M581 youth rifle.

The ammo lasted a lot longer, when gramps kept the 1022 away from him and made him shoot his own bolt rifle.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts