The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know people on here pick wild ones , does any one grow them , if so where do you get your supplies think I am interested in portabella ,oysters and maybe buttons.How hard/easy is this? and direction would be helpful

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If you go online you can buy spores to grow mushrooms and instructions on where to plant and how to prepare soil etc.

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Was on line just wondered if anyone here had a suggestion , or a supplier that they had used and liked.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Has anyone ever had any success growing morel mushrooms?
I have seen the spores for sale, but I always thought they
could not be grown.

Hawken

·
Banned
1,246 Posts
treedaddy said:
Was on line just wondered if anyone here had a suggestion , or a supplier that they had used and liked.
try this site some of the most knowledgeable folks I know that grows mushrooms frequent this site....overly friendly to the point I don't believe a post was ever deleted or Moderator edited....bet if you ask them that'd even send some free spawn etc..your way...LOL..they tried real hard to get me hooked on growing my own but so far I been able to resist but have however grew some with thier help.

http://pashroomin.proboards.com/index.cgi

·
Registered
9,265 Posts
blitzinstripes said:
I can't wait till our resident hippies get ahold of this thread...
For THOSE kind of mushrooms, you need a pressure cooker, mason jars, vermiculite, brown rice flour, and a way to have really strict temperature control. And a couple months to kill. Never grew them myself, but I've known people who knew people.

For standard button mushrooms like you buy at any grocery store, those are pretty easy, and there are kits online. The trouble is flies, more specifically, the maggots of fungus flies. Commercial mushroom houses use a variety of high-bore pesticides for them, and Organic mushroom farmers use a number of other techniques including beneficial nematodes. Not sure how they recommend home-growers deal with it.

Now, shiitake mushrooms are pretty easy, you grow them in logs. You can buy them pre-inoculated, but I don't know many people who have had much luck with those. I do know people who eventually got rid of some of their shiitake logs that they inoculated themselves because they were getting sick of mushrooms. There are lots of sources online for where to get the inoculant and how to apply it.

·
Registered
22,041 Posts

This one grew by an old walnut tree by the house....not sure what it is but was huge.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
I've grown Button mushrooms and portabella mushrooms from the kits that are sold thru the seed catalogs...

Followed the instructions with the kit and had so many mushrooms I didn't know what to do with them!
In the instructions it said when the kit started to not produce anymore to take the kit and dump in a compost pile and it would continue to produce...mine did but not for to long.

I have a catalog someplace that sells spores of different kind..I think I remember seeing morels in it..I'll have to find it and post the Website for it!

·
Registered
36,367 Posts
I've ordered some kits and spawn from Fungi Perfecti out of Washington state. Had limited success with the kits and spawn, although I imagine it was mostly my fault. You can go to their website http://www.fungi.com . They have alot of stuff, you can also order a catalog there.

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
Bearclaw said:
I've ordered some kits and spawn from Fungi Perfecti out of Washington state. Had limited success with the kits and spawn, although I imagine it was mostly my fault. You can go to their website http://www.fungi.com . They have alot of stuff, you can also order a catalog there.
Can not find my Catalog but that there link above that Bearclaw put in his post is who I get the catalog from!

I've searched around a few times and have found places that sell Oil that is innoculated with different Ediable Mushroom Spores to be used as oil for Chainsaws....when used as the bar oil, when using the chainsaw the spores get innoculated into the saw dust on the ground and cause different ediable mushrooms to be grown where you cut wood!

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You are all so helpful, I will post pictures of this project when I start, again thank you

·
Registered
12,369 Posts
treedaddy said:
You are all so helpful, I will post pictures of this project when I start, again thank you
I'm FAR from helpful!

I'm just a guy who never stops trying something new...certain things I get hooked on like making homemade wine, beer, soda, candy, jerky, sausage, bologna and other stuff from the Critters I hunt and get...

When I dable in things and make them work, I am always willing to tell others about it if they show they are interested...

The Mushrooms, I'd like to continue to grow them from time to time but have not played with them since 2001...My Father-in-law and I are the only ones who eat mushrooms so it gets a little bad when I have mushrooms coming out my and the FIL's ears and not eating them fast enough!

If your going to start out and have a basement that is not heated, look into the kits... portabella and button mushrooms...I did both them and had no problem with them growing Very Good and like I said, the instrutions said to dump the kit into a compost pile after the mushrooms started to dwindle in growing..they grew in the compost pile but not for to long agter mixing the kit into the compost pile....Follow the Step by Step instructiuons and you should have NO Problem growing Mushrooms from a Kit!

I'm 1 who can not say it enough to people I know who say they want to try something, Especially to kids...if your interested in trying it, TRY IT!!!! Don't give up if at first it does not work..do it till you get it to work then if your not interested then Give it up!
If you are interested after making it work, Stick with it and try to get to the point where you GREAT at doing it!

I was always a "How Does It Work" kid...had to be right there with my Mom and Dad, Brothers and Sisters asking many questions and learning to do it....sometimes I was called a pain in the Rear by them but I'm glad I paid attention and asked the Questions for I learned many things growing up and Still look for new things to learn to do!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts