The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I space the seeds about 8" apart and cut the leaves off when they are big enough to harvest. By doing this the plant keeps growing. Don't cut the top off.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I like Kale myself.... So.. I took a crack at growing it myself this year... Man I'm no gardener like some on this site but I had Kale from June til before Xmas... It can't be killed, lol...& it's a superfood nutritional bigtimer
It grew like crazy... Cld be cut back & re grew ... Fast.
It Was very heat tolerant & amazingly cold & snow tolerant! The yield was amazing... It will be a much bigger plant for me this year...
Btw try the chips cut leaves into small sizes olive oil kosher/sea salt into oven man... They are crunchy & great!!

·
Registered
1,830 Posts
I bought a packet of seed last year and planted just half the packet. It grew extremely well. It was still growing and doing well the first of January and we picked some and ate it. According to a lot of health sites it is a great blocker of cancer. Yes grow it and eat it. It actually tasted a litter sweeter after the cold weather hit it

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
+1 on growing Kale easy to grow and will be better healthwise for you than most store bought... (greens are typically heavily sprayed with pesticides)

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Kale is awesome. It's easy to grow, likes cool but seemed to do well with heat last year too. Frost is supposed to make it better. Last year some article in a health magazine explained the benefits of kale and how to make it into shakes. By mid summer there were no kale seeds to be found.

Scatter the seeds lightly in a row, thin seedlings as they grow to about 8-10 inches apart. We cut leaves from 4-10 inches long and make salads, put on sandwiches, make kale chips or eat raw.

Go for it.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
You can just wash the leaves off and freeze them for use during the winter. We freeze enough to last all winter. Same with the collard greens.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts