The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have any of you guys had any success growing small corn patches. I tried about a 3/4 acre patch this year. It germinated awesome then the deer moved in and ate all the corn stalks. This is the second year they've done this. They've got a clover road leading to the plot and a road of Brassica bordering it but they still eat the corn faster than it grows.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
Small stands of corn in areas with a decent deer density are a tough hill to climb, similar to soybeans. The young corn plants are like sugar candy for the deer - taste great, but not much nutrition.

IMO, there are much better food plot options than corn, especially in a 3/4 acre plot. I salute your efforts though!

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've got 9 other food plots including soy beans, Brassica varieties, oats, and clover on the property plus the farmer does the big fields. I'm just trying to diversify the food sources and increase our odds during bear season.

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I've got 9 other food plots including soy beans, Brassica varieties, oats, and clover on the property plus the farmer does the big fields. I'm just trying to diversify the food sources and increase our odds during bear season.
Schweeet. Sounds like you have a good gig going.

We have used a "Plot Saver" system in the past to protect some soybeans. It's a fabric tape installed at 30" and treated (spray bottle) with some nasty smelling stuff once every couple weeks to keep the deer at bay. Fawns certainly walk under it, and some deer hop right over it as well....but overall it saves the plot from over browsing.

In our case, the beans were a later summer planting (farmer had a crop failure so he allowed us to give the beans a whirl)...and we only used the plot saver system on about half of the overall plot. We had beans inside the "fence" that were a foot tall or more....and just outside the fence the beans were basically mowed to the dirt. We observed some deer inside the fence consuming the beans, but it definitely allowed for much better growth.

Might be worth a shot for a smaller corn plot like you have....

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've got lots of orange snow fence might try putting that up. They can easily hop over it but maybe it will determine them enough to stay out. I tried the eagle seed managers mix soybeans this year. We'll see if they keep up with the browsing. Found a recipe for pepper spray so going to give that a try.

·
Registered
2,022 Posts
I planted it two times over the years by just broadcasting the seed into a small plot like yours and both times the corn grow very tall. However, it was short lived A bear got in the middle of it and you could tell it just layed there pulling all the stalks down to the ground.

It’s just too expensive to plant and I would never do it again

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
If they are already aware that there is corn in the field and they have been hitting it, that orange plastic fence would keep them out. They can jump it standing flat footed, You will be sweating for nothing. Once they find food they prefer it is almost impossible to keep them out without a high fence and for your purpose way too expensive.

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had read some articles on it. Qdma has a good one. It seemed to work for a couple of weeks according to their study.

·
Registered
103 Posts
As was mentioned previously, fence is the most consistent method to keep them out. We put 6 of them up this year around corn and soybean fields ranging from 3/4 of an acre to 5 acres. The upfront cost is not cheap, but it last for many years. Plus for all the time put in to plant, seed costs, fertilizer, and occasionally lime it is a small investment to ensure it produces. If you do decide to go with a fence, checkout Kencove for supplies.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I used snow fence but i didnt stand it up i layed it on the ground. Mowed the area as low as i could get it then just layed it down. I also put 1 strand of baling twine at hip height around the outside and it worked very well.

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
You can get a solar fence charger that will work well for remote areas.

·
Super Moderator
12,919 Posts
First year we planted a 4 ac food plot of corn and the deer hardly touched it. The next year we planned that 4 ac. and additional 2 and 4 ac plots and the deer, raccoons and turkey wiped them out before January was over.

·
Registered
18,343 Posts
i have been told moth balls work.

·
Registered
5,790 Posts

One step more is electric 5-6' 6 strands. At my hunting property was an old garden, decided to go big time with garden close an acre. Did sweet corn and green beans hoping if I got half for my self I would be happy. It did well and had no fence at that time. About 5-6 days before corn was ready to pick it got wiped out maybe giving me 1 dozen ears of corn. One thing also the coons will play havoc on it too, giving the deer a bad rap. Those animals know when its ready before we do. Following year I spent the money and put in a fence as mentioned and used a good charger. Totally different outcome we had a good harvest. I turned it over and planted winter wheat and actually dropped the fence down for fall and winter so the game could come in easy. Sometimes you have to pay for an education.

·
Registered
12,258 Posts
One step more is electric 5-6' 6 strands. At my hunting property was an old garden, decided to go big time with garden close an acre. Did sweet corn and green beans hoping if I got half for my self I would be happy. It did well and had no fence at that time. About 5-6 days before corn was ready to pick it got wiped out maybe giving me 1 dozen ears of corn. One thing also the coons will play havoc on it too, giving the deer a bad rap. Those animals know when its ready before we do. Following year I spent the money and put in a fence as mentioned and used a good charger. Totally different outcome we had a good harvest. I turned it over and planted winter wheat and actually dropped the fence down for fall and winter so the game could come in easy. Sometimes you have to pay for an education.

For garden we used to always do 3 strands. 2 would be down low for coon and groundhog. 1 at maybe 3" and one at 7" or so. Then we would put 1 wire up towards waist high.

For food plots I have used a dual fence for deer. It works since they don't have good depth perception. It stinks having to run 2 rows of fence though.

44B13179-6605-4468-81CF-79535A6CC697_zps4cbrrbas by cspot12, on Flickr

·
Banned
26,979 Posts
Mothballs may work for moths, but little else. They don't work for a garden let alone acres of corn.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts