The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have noticed recently that a small grove is forming one my pan from the blast coming through the touch hole. I seem to remember in the past hearing about this. According to my empty powder can estimate my gun has fired 271 shots since it was new. So I was just wondering does this grove normally start this early on a GOOD lock? (yeah I know CVA guns are cheap)

·
Registered
583 Posts
I have a lyman and i noticed the same thing. It'll be interesting to know if it is common. My dad has a t/c renegade for 25 yrs. and it has none of this.

·
Super Moderator
12,805 Posts
my TC is made prior to 1987 best i know (buddies serial number is 20k higher than mine and it is 1987...) i dont know how many shots were fired prior to me buying it, but i know ive shot somewhere around 400-500rds from it in 7 years..first 4 years or so i was going through a good pound of power or so a year..

my pan has no marks...except a few from the flint slamming into it...

·
Registered
85 Posts
I have a Traditions Deerhunter with 300 rounds fired that has a rather large groove in the pan.

I have a TC that is over 30 years old that does not show any sign of a groove.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
Are your touch holes low in the pan?

·
Banned
1,109 Posts
normal. All of my flinters ive owned, including the lyman have all had that. The touchholes just sit a little lower. You can use a dremmel tool and add some depth to your pan

·
Registered
12,255 Posts
I have had flinters from just about very manufacturer and never had this problem. How hot are your loads?

I did once have a flinter that had a large touch hole and had to be carefful that no one was standing to my right because they would get blasted by the touch hole spit.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

My pan really is not rusty its just that my camera is does not do great close ups so the pictures are a bit grainy.

As far as loads go when shooting a sabot I normally use 100grains 2F so that my 1:48 twist puts as much spin on it as possible. But for the bulk of my shooting has been round balls with 60grains 2F.

·
Registered
6,474 Posts
That loads sounds high.You don't "need as much spin" as much as the most accurate charge.In muzzys more is not always better.If 60grs is giving accuracy,use it for hunting.I've killed deer with 50grs at 50yds and others as little as 40 grs.

Conicals are often heavier than RB's and require lighter charges.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts