The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Just curious...I'm new to HPA (have been reading for a couple years) and I was wondering if people have really had problems posting about specific spots in the forums? I'm from Ohio, and I typically hunt from my friend's camp in Tionesta...but I have started exploring the ANF on occasion. I would really like to talk about some of this and share/receive info...but I'm concerned about "flooding" an area by posting here. I guess I'll stick to generalities for now.

I recently hunted Owls Nest and found that there were a lot of hunters in the area...is this typical? (I only put up one bird in 3 hrs) I'm going to try a day hunt closer to Marienville sometime this week. I saw some good cover when I was driving through to Owls Nest. If anyone would like to share some general areas or pm some specifics, I would appreciate it (and would be willing to share my info as well)

I usually hunt alone or with my friend (with the camp in Tionesta)and I'm not looking to invade anyone's honey spot. Just looking for good areas to explore when I venture from home.

Sorry for the long winded post!

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Where are all of these hunters at owls nest? I hunted out there once this yr on sgl and never saw a soul other than the Marcellus gas guys. I can't remember the sgl number right now.

·
Registered
4,107 Posts
mert44 said:
Just curious...I'm new to HPA (have been reading for a couple years) and I was wondering if people have really had problems posting about specific spots in the forums? I'm from Ohio, and I typically hunt from my friend's camp in Tionesta...but I have started exploring the ANF on occasion. I would really like to talk about some of this and share/receive info...but I'm concerned about "flooding" an area by posting here. I guess I'll stick to generalities for now.

I recently hunted Owls Nest and found that there were a lot of hunters in the area...is this typical? (I only put up one bird in 3 hrs) I'm going to try a day hunt closer to Marienville sometime this week. I saw some good cover when I was driving through to Owls Nest. If anyone would like to share some general areas or pm some specifics, I would appreciate it (and would be willing to share my info as well)

I usually hunt alone or with my friend (with the camp in Tionesta)and I'm not looking to invade anyone's honey spot. Just looking for good areas to explore when I venture from home.

sent pm

·
Registered
575 Posts
mert44

Why don't you try an experiment. Post the GPS coordinates to your best spot and see if you notice increased hunter trafic....please be as specific as possible....

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
mert44 said:

Seems like you've already shared your info...thanks.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Gentlemen,
Although it is not wise to post exacting locations for your Grouse covert, Pa is a pretty big state and we have lots of forest lands, giving general information to a rookie
who wants to begin Grouse hunting on his own is always advisable, nothing wrong with giving a young Grouse hunter a helping hand.
Pine Creek

·
Registered
322 Posts
Dave , thats the way I see it, this is a advice forum. Thats what it says in the forum description. It is just not a bragging board. Giving general advice to a newbie on where to start looking for grouse is not gonna hurt anything too much. I'd say giving gps coordinates is a bad idea and giving up a good covert to the public is unadviseable.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow! I guess I deserve to be mocked on my first post?

Thanks for the responses...I personally believe in sharing the wealth. I love hunting, and PA is one of the best states around for wildlife and wildlife management. I'd actually rather see more hunters in the woods. The more hunters...the more voting hunters...hopefully more policies in place too open more land and improve habitat. Just my 2cents. (btw...if there's hunters in my favorite spots, I move on. I never want be "that guy," you know the one who throws a fit or let's a few hunters in his seceret spot ruin his time in the woods.)

Although I'm not exactly new to hunting grouse, I'm new to hunting the ANF. I have been using a gazeteer, sgl maps and google maps...are there any other maps or resources I should check out?

Oh, and I didn't realize I shouldn't say owls nest on this forum...hopefully they will take down that huge ANF Grouse Management Area sign.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
mert44 said:
...are there any other maps or resources I should check out?

Oh, and I didn't realize I shouldn't say owls nest on this forum...hopefully they will take down that huge ANF Grouse Management Area sign.
Mert. Just east of Marianville close to the prison is a rangers station. They are open until about 4PM if you can get there in time. Ask them if they have any maps or can provide you any information on cuts. When I stopped a couple years ago I got a map showing D-Map locations for $1. Cuts were too new to be good for grouse but showed the roads on it. The guy lived in the area and shared some information with me. They will also give you a list of what roads are open to travel. Just because a gate is open does not mean you are allowed on it.
Owls Nest area gets hit hard for every type of hunting there is. Probably more because you can point to it on a map vs how good it is. I hunted handy to it and wasn't impressed but there are areas that have possiblities.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
mert44 said:
I'd actually rather see more hunters in the woods. The more hunters...the more voting hunters...hopefully more policies in place too open more land and improve habitat.

Mert44,
I think just about every acre owned by the PGC is already open to hunting in Pa., and of course most all of the Federal holdings too. About the only land not open to the public hunting is the privately owned land and naturally the PGC can't control that at all.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wingshot...I realize that (same thing in Ohio), but if a guy can be voted in that passes out stimulus money to study how many crabs cross a road, then can't we get an NRA guy in there to pass out money for buying up foreclosed properties and turning them back into woods and fields? Wishful thinking!

I'll check in at the ranger station next time I'm up there. It crossed my mind last time, but they were already closed.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
mert44 said:
Wingshot...I realize that (same thing in Ohio), but if a guy can be voted in that passes out stimulus money to study how many crabs cross a road, then can't we get an NRA guy in there to pass out money for buying up foreclosed properties and turning them back into woods and fields? Wishful thinking?

I guess you can try that in Ohio if you like but I'd be against it here in Pa. Our property taxes are already high enough in my opinion and taking additional properties public removes them from the tax base. That likely results in higher taxes for the remaining private holdings since reducing spending never seems to be an option. We have lots of public hunting lands here, the problem is that few are managed to provide good habitat for ruffed grouse.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts