The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
263 days that is, from today (Jan 29) until the start of 2013 grouse season here in PA. Opening day was tentatively set for Oct 19 during yesterday's commisioner meeting.

How did your 2012-2013 grouse season go?

·
Registered
390 Posts
ummm... It was a work in progress.
But, I now know of some solid grouse holding spots for next year.

What was your count DAP? You & Jackson have set the bar pretty high.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Had my best season ever.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I found my best grouse spot to date. Unfortunately, this just resulted in seeing more birds, not actually taking any more home! Still, the fact that I saw more grouse than in any prior season means this was my best grouse season ever!

·
Registered
390 Posts
The Stig said:
I found my best grouse spot to date. Unfortunately, this just resulted in seeing more birds, not actually taking any more home! Still, the fact that I saw more grouse than in any prior season means this was my best grouse season ever!
X2 I can relate.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
131 Flushes. Had a shortened season due to a dog injury, I didnt get to hunt the late season at all.
37 woodcock in 2 days.

I Was able to harvest 4 grouse and 1 woodcock, that was my choice as I didnt feel the need to shoot anymore.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I guess that means pheasant season is 230 days away

I didn't get much of a chance to get after grouse. I did hit one area that has decent numbers and put up one bird that I missed. That's an improvement over most seasons, sad as it is. I also found one woodcock this year. I was suprised to find him in a section of uncut soybeans.

I hope to get after them (grouse) more next year.

·
Super Moderator
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
LostintheUplands said:
ummm... It was a work in progress.
But, I now know of some solid grouse holding spots for next year.

What was your count DAP?
Although my flush rate (2.6/hr) was the lowest it's been since 2007-2008, it was still a great year. I was able spend more time grouse hunting than I ever have (31 days) and had one of my better years for total birds flushed and killed.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Started hunting Grouse this year! Was able to venture north twice, 6 flushes total, 2 shots, 2 birds. excited for next season already

·
Super Moderator
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hower131 said:
Started hunting Grouse this year! Was able to venture north twice, 6 flushes total, 2 shots, 2 birds. excited for next season already
Congratulations. Great shooting.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Gentlemen,
A short season for me this year also, however the Grouse numbers have been very good on the northern tier. Next season looks real promising also. We will continue working with Militray Vets Grouse Dogs, thru out the year. Come vist Gods Country when you have time.
Pine Creek/Dave

Pine Creek beside our log cabin. Yea we have Grouse in the front yard here.

·
Super Moderator
2,464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
kg300 said:
Hiked 21 miles this year according to my GPS for 3 flushes and 3 misses.
That's an interesting statistic,
(one that I don't currently track). How long did you hunt / how fast were you walking?

I'm guessing I average about 1.5 mph while actually hunting, but am not really sure.

·
Registered
454 Posts
I got a lot of exercise. In PA had 117.5 hrs hunted, 271 flushes, and managed to bag 31 Grouse.

PA Gray Phase

Found this old jug out in the woods while hunting

Before the PA season opened, I took a drive out to South Dakota to do a little Prairie Grouse hunting.

Sharptail and Huns

Prairie Chicken

I'll never forget it.

·
Registered
454 Posts
ruffedG said:
31 is impressive... good job.

I really want to do a sharptail hunt sometime... looks like great fun.

G
Not really if you consider the hours I hunted...

The prairie hunts are totally different experience than our Grouse hunting here.

·
Registered
2,490 Posts
Country Nate,
31 is an impressive number to a lot of Grouse hunters,
especially today. As you indicated it all depends on how much time you spend in the Grouse woods, in reality.
I average about 22 Grouse a year from many different coverts in several different states, never damaging any individual covert. This season was very good Grouse hunting here on the northern tier of Pa. January was cut short by 2 1/2 weeks for us due to some problems in the Churchill home, and we still ended up taking almost 20 Grouse. Hunting Sharpies on the prairie, is definitely a lot of fun, however I actually like walk up hunting in Scotland for Red Grouse much more.
Pine Creek/Dave

1 - 20 of 27 Posts