The HuntingPA.com Outdoor Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
whoda thunk it!
but yea I found me a grouse in the flatlands.
I was walking a row of small pines separating 2 hayfields.

my first thought was quail??who left a quail go here?
then I noticed it was a bit big and the black shoulder pads.

I have never seen a grouse this far south before.
now i'm torn
one side says i'd really would rather let it be since its lost .
however its not in a good location and come pheasant season I don't rate its chances of making it through as very high.its a high traffic area.

the other side of me is saying somebody is gonna bag the little guy, it might as well be me

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
I can't say or verify your sighting, but around ten years ago I was seeing grouse in Bucks Co. Only in 2 certain areas. Saw a couple over a couple years. Now I haven't seen one for a long long time. If the habitat is there....

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
ACEarcher said:
I can't say or verify your sighting, but around ten years ago I was seeing grouse in Bucks Co. Only in 2 certain areas. Saw a couple over a couple years. Now I haven't seen one for a long long time. If the habitat is there....
Ahhhhh were probably talking about the same place...I was squirrel hunting and flushed 2 just last fall

·
Registered
3,490 Posts
I know of a really healthy population North of Nock on Private land...average 4-5 flushes every deer season. Habitat is there...so are the grouse.

·
Registered
2,471 Posts
Clearfield12 said:
ACEarcher said:
Ahhhhh were probably talking about the same place...I was squirrel hunting and flushed 2 just last fall
I'm pretty sure one of the places is the same, but the other I mentioned is a piece of private woods. They still could be around, but I don't walk it as much as I used too. The only time I walk it heavy is during spring gobbler and I still haven't flushed any, but ya never know lol.

·
Registered
755 Posts
They were in French creek state park...I used to hunt them back in the late 70 s and early 80s. I do not know if they are still there.

·
Registered
371 Posts
I live in 5C and have seen a few grouse but I think it's on the southern end of the range. Maybe just use them for dog training close to home?

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
Last year ( I think it was) I posted that I had a grouse run across the road in front of me near Pottstown and I was told I was crazy. It was when they started clearing the land for the new interchange and bridge at Armand Hammer.

I see grouse all the time at camp and I know what they look like and I know what I saw. So yeah, there are grouse in 5c :p

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
well by my count that's 4 different areas in 5C that grouse have been spotted.
problem is they are in scattered pockets and strung out over 20 miles min.
the area I spotted my grouse is the same general area I grew up in back in the 70s
and have never seen a grouse this low before.
it used to be that you found pheasant below the tunnel and grouse above it.

since they are making there way down here on their own maybe its time we closed off grouse hunting in 5c for a bit to see if their numbers go up.

i'd really like to see the little guy make it and meet up with friends ,but its location makes that doubtful

·
Registered
357 Posts
Sometimes people mistake grouse for woodcock and hen pheasants. However, there are grouse in 5C and there could be more if we create more habitat...

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
I have seen some and killed 4 in the past years around nockamixion. The first one Killed was about 15 years ago. At first i didnt expect to see one. I watched it fly away saying to myself was that really a grouse. I jumped it again and it was.

·
Registered
99 Posts
I've found several grouse every year for the last few years on several different plots of land (public and private) in the far western reaches of 5C.

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
TwistedOak, I'm not doubting there are a few pockets of grouse in 5C but if I saw just one in an unlikely area like you say I don't think I'd try to take it just because some other pheasant hunter probably will end up killing it. Fact is grouse are much harder to kill than our released pheasants so the odds that this grouse would evade other hunters are better than you might initially think. It's your decision entirely but if it were me I'd smile & be happy with the sighting and just hope it survives and finds a mate and maybe adds to a possible future population.

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i'm gonna leave it alone and hope he makes it thru.
while it wasn't large ,there was some nice cover for it to hide in and a real good food supply.

but that cover is also where pheasants will try to hide
its the dogs that worry me, it will have to dodge dozens upon dozens of them

·
Registered
3,680 Posts
I don't think a dog is any match for a healthy grouse, they'll flush before it ever gets the chance to catch it and like I said guys that hunt for them where they expect them have a hard enough time hitting them let alone a surpsie flush from a guy not expecting to see one rocket out of the cover. Cool sighting.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts